• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2007 phazer kicking my butt

pjabas

Extreme
Country
USA
Snowmobile
14 sr viper xtx se. 153" track turbo
2007 phazer only starts when warm in garage..

New battery 13.2 v
plugs, gas 91 non oxy. Relays are functional. Cranks over until drains battery hear and feel fuel pump pump. Starter was lined up. With green line.
Ecu ends -10
No check engine light or codes

Had it running in garage for 10-15 mins
Then push it out on table 28-30° out.
Let it get cold.. couple hours work table and oil.tank and block same temp
Go to start 210 RPM and few pops and and half arsed back fires

Please help me out.

What is the voltage reading when the sled is running? You should see 14.6 volts or so, if you do not you have some kind of intermittent electrical problem that cold makes worse.

Search 'Phazer cold start', I think there was a tech builletin about something like this.

It has the updated ecu. And the ground update

I know nothing about the Phazer except what I have read but it makes sense to me that the problem you have right now is similar enough to the problem the cold start ECU fix addressed that you should consider it. The ECU fix probably addressed the lockout problem (engine won't fire until oil pressure is up), the decompression springs were there to change timing is my understanding.

How hard is it to start in the garage?

Also, 210RPM seems low as others report spinning much faster.

Its worth checking the ground block again, as even sleds that have never had systemic ground issues develop ground problems over time.

Other than that, no idea, back go basics. Plugs, wiring, grounds, fuel. There were some active phazer owners back in the day that are still on here so hopefully one of them chimes in.

Did you drain the tank? Is it fresh gas? Your plugs are fouled more than likely. If not fresh gas drain it and put new plugs in.

Check the main ground wire going from the battery. There is a spade connector halfway down from the battery that can corrode or become loose.

To verify if it's a spark or fuel issue, take the air box cover off and while cranking, spray some starting fluid into the throttles. If it starts and runs for a couple of seconds, it's a fuel issue. If it doesn't, then it's likely an ignition problem. At worse it's a compression issue. It comes down to the basics, air, fuel, compression and spark.

Like moose suggested I would spray a squirt of start fluid or gas from spray bottle directly into intake and see if it fires. This is the easiest way to dictate which direction you got with troubleshooting. If no start I would suspect possible trigger coil on the stator. Had an apex one time that would not start in cold. If in warm shop it would start just fine. The temp contrast would pull the coil out of spec in the cold, but when warm it was in spec. You can ohm test this. It is the small 2 wire plug on the stator.

Well starter finely died. Was going to crank It over and fire it up hopefully got about half a crank then she locked up.

Now to source new starter and continue hopefully slow crank is fixed and my other issues as well

Well starter finely died. Was going to crank It over and fire it up hopefully got about half a crank then she locked up.

Now to source new starter and continue hopefully slow crank is fixed and my other issues as well
In case you don't already know, there is a casting piece that can be cut off to make the starter change much easier.

Got new starter. Cranks over way faster. Started right up in garage. Moved outside. 17° sat for hour and half. Crank and back fire no start. It's currently sitting outside gonna try the injector prime trick soon

Got new starter. Cranks over way faster. Started right up in garage. Moved outside. 17° sat for hour and half. Crank and back fire no start. It's currently sitting outside gonna try the injector prime trick soon
It could be flooded. Fresh gas in it?

Use diagnostics to verify all your sensors are reading correctly. One time I had an Apex with a coolant sensor not reading properly and it wouldn't start in the cold.

Back