• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2007 Phazer MTX shock lengths and upgrade questions

np342403

Veteran
I have searched on and off for a couple days now on what everyone is doing to upgrade their MTX suspension. I see quite a few different posts but still haven't nailed down a solid answer to my questions. I am not too familiar with the suspension aspect of the sleds and just want to make sure I purchase the correct shocks.

I am looking to upgrade both front shocks and both rear. So a few questions:

1) What is the extended and compressed length of the front MTX shocks? (Answer: 15.5" and 11.3")
2) What are the extended and compressed lengths of the rear shocks? (Front shock is 13.125" and rear is 17.5")
3) I know a lot of people of going with the ski-doo shocks on the rears, what about the ski-doo X package shocks on the fronts too? With that said, can I put any shocks on the front that have the same extended and compressed lengths?

I appreciate the input from everyone. I know there are a lot of posts on this topic, I just don't want to purchase the wrong stuff.

Shocks out of sc4 121" skid are supposed to work, but the front shocks out of rev are too long. Just waiting on my skid shocks to get shipped. I purchased them on the classifieds on dootalk.com .

dwh039 said:
Shocks out of sc4 121" skid are supposed to work, but the front shocks out of rev are too long. Just waiting on my skid shocks to get shipped. I purchased them on the classifieds on dootalk.com .

Are there specific years/models that run the sc4 shocks? I am not too familiar with doo's.

Mine are out of a 2005 mxzx 800. renegades and summits won't work the rear/rear are too long, the center one should work. Most listings in the classifieds will state what skid they are out of. I probably won't get my shocks for atleast a couple of weeks, so I won't be positive that they will work without any modifications.

dwh039 said:
Mine are out of a 2005 mxzx 800. renegades and summits won't work the rear/rear are too long, the center one should work. Most listings in the classifieds will state what skid they are out of. I probably won't get my shocks for atleast a couple of weeks, so I won't be positive that they will work without any modifications.

Does 13" center to center sound about right for the length of the (front) rear shock? Thanks for the input on that. Much appreciated.

Does anyone have the lengths for the fronts?

OK. I was able to do some google searching and found the following lengths for the front shocks:

Extended length: 15.50"

Compressed length: 11.30"

I had a set of X-package shocks for the MTX, they don't fit, the center will, the rear is the issue, resi sits too low and will hit the track on full compression. Not worth the risk. I found an ACT front shock that fit the measurements needed. So I revalved it and it seems to work well. The front's I've found several options, used ATV Zero Pros, you may find a set of Floats, or just another set of ACT's. For the record, ACT are Arctic Cat's version of a Fox, they use the exact same internals and designs, so rebuild and adjustments are readily available. I'll see if I can get the exact measurements. The trick is putting together the bushings to get the mount correct. If money isn't an issue, a full set from Carver would be nice, you would get all four Zero Pros valved for around a grand.

^^Great info, thanks. I will do some looking at the ACT's as well.

I am seeing a lot of front shocks that are around 17" center to center...can I install these on my MTX? What would be the pros and/or cons to installing a front shock that is approx 1.5" longer?

Personally I think 17" would be way to long unless you modified the upper shock mounts. The MTX already sits higher up front than the short track sleds. I'm going the other way with my MTX as I've installed GT arms on mine to widen the stance but keep my MTX shocks on it to lower the front about 1". I've actually found my stock shocks to work well and I haven't had the front bottom out ever. But my 09' came with better shocks than the 07-08 MTX as they are Gas Charged instead of just hydraulic. Since they are still non-rebuildable I plan on replacing them with MTX length float 2's when they are shot.

blueironranger said:
Personally I think 17" would be way to long unless you modified the upper shock mounts. The MTX already sits higher up front than the short track sleds. I'm going the other way with my MTX as I've installed GT arms on mine to widen the stance but keep my MTX shocks on it to lower the front about 1". I've actually found my stock shocks to work well and I haven't had the front bottom out ever. But my 09' came with better shocks than the 07-08 MTX as they are Gas Charged instead of just hydraulic. Since they are still non-rebuildable I plan on replacing them with MTX length float 2's when they are shot.

So would the only downside of a longer shock be that the sled sits a little higher?

If you go with a longer shock, you need to make sure that the full travel will still be available. For instance, stock is 15.5 call it 4.75" of travel. So I f you went with a 17.5" shock you would want it to travel 6.75" (ideally) Now obviously there is a little fiddle factor but you get the idea. You should have no issue finding a nice shock that will fit the size/travel your looking for, just keep looking. With the longer shock you may find you will need to run less spring tension to get the front end down, or get shorter, stiffer springs, the combos are endless.

LJ 452 said:
If you go with a longer shock, you need to make sure that the full travel will still be available. For instance, stock is 15.5 call it 4.75" of travel. So I f you went with a 17.5" shock you would want it to travel 6.75" (ideally) Now obviously there is a little fiddle factor but you get the idea. You should have no issue finding a nice shock that will fit the size/travel your looking for, just keep looking. With the longer shock you may find you will need to run less spring tension to get the front end down, or get shorter, stiffer springs, the combos are endless.

That is fantastic information! Thank you very much.

just remember, sitting higher in the front is going to cause more bump steer and the ski alignment to change more during the suspension stroke.

blueironranger said:
just remember, sitting higher in the front is going to cause more bump steer and the ski alignment to change more during the suspension stroke.

True, that's why I would go in with the goal of maintaining ride height. One other thing to note, if you go with "longer overall" length shocks, make sure that when fully extended, there are no binding, steering, or other problems. Since the shocks typically limit the extended travel you will potentially be changing that limit. A good way to test is to just remove the stockers, and let the front end fully droop, steer full crank both directions. See what hits where, that should give you an idea of worst case scenario. I used Cat Sno Pro shocks from something like an 03-05 race sled, they were about 1-1.5" longer but worked fine. This year I've got a set of Zero Pros for it. Also used shocks from 2 strokes will have a much lighter spring (likely) as the reduced weight up front, so you will likely be cranking them up a bit, or looking for replacements.

Back