• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2009 Nytro Front End+ Rebuild

I've read the heat treatment process that is associated with powder coating can weaken aluminum parts, especially cast pieces like the stock Nytro spindle.
The JRE spindle is made from billet aluminum which is much stronger than a cast piece. The JRE website states its intended for 2008 and newer Nytro and all Phazer 4 stroke models.

Just out of curiosity how did your spindles fail? Do you have a pic? What do you think of the JRE ones? I'm thinking of looking into aftermarket ones next year as my whole front end needs a rebuild.
Somebody who owned the sled before me sheared the spindle off at the ski bolt and then welded it back on (poorly, I might add). I just eventually failed. I just got back from my first weekend on the JRE spindles and they are great. They definitely squat the front of the sled lower. For the money, you can't beat them.

Somebody who owned the sled before me sheared the spindle off at the ski bolt and then welded it back on (poorly, I might add). I just eventually failed. I just got back from my first weekend on the JRE spindles and they are great. They definitely squat the front of the sled lower. For the money, you can't beat them.
Interesting, I have to buy the left one (just purchased a new right to get through the season). The "squat" you note pulls down the linkage I believe from the steering, is it in any way too low? I hate to spend $400 when I can spend $200 but also learning about cast vs. billet is new information so curious. No snow here in Casablanca, but we got nailed, over 18" in Maine last week, hoping it remains for this coming weekend when I am back in the USA.

Interesting, I have to buy the left one (just purchased a new right to get through the season). The "squat" you note pulls down the linkage I believe from the steering, is it in any way too low? I hate to spend $400 when I can spend $200 but also learning about cast vs. billet is new information so curious. No snow here in Casablanca, but we got nailed, over 18" in Maine last week, hoping it remains for this coming weekend when I am back in the USA.
Honestly, I didn't notice a difference in the ride height.

I think I will just buy the second 2013 black spindle vs doubling my expense with two more. Handling was fantastic w tuners and Bergstrom setup... Really predictable, zero darting.

I think I will just buy the second 2013 black spindle vs doubling my expense with two more. Handling was fantastic w tuners and Bergstrom setup... Really predictable, zero darting.
I finally got mine zeroed after installing the JRE's. Go figure - on the final day of my season last Sunday up in the Allagash, Eagle Lake area. At least I don't have a summer of wondering...but I'm sure I'll do something to change the geometry before next winter rolls around.

Nice! Back today from a truly amazing "last" ride yesterday in The Forks, Maine... Woke up Tuesday AM to cold 11 F, groomed the night before and solid overnight, best riding (possibly ever) on a 20 mile stretch called Bald Mountain Trail, nestled in a valley deep with snow (per the groomer, always has snow) and a handful of riders all day; balance of 160 miles were great / good, only a few dirt patches sowing in the afternoon 50 F sun! All done soon if it goes warm as predicted. The rebuilt Nytro simply rallied, Bergstroms were on rails and pulled strong with +3 Royal Purple octane boost giving me 96 octane fuel heaven. Great end to a wild snow season, will post some pics tomorrow.

Last ride... The Forks, Maine... Awesome day... Love my Nytro.

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Sad to see another season end (and the posts on TY dwindle...). Time to get boats ready for the summer season. Great first year on my Nytro, learned a lot, sweeeeet motor, I hoped I would fall in love with the triple 4-stroke like I did with the triple 2-stroke (redhead 700) on my XTC and the answer is YES... we do pay a penalty with extra weight but that can be minimized with suspension tuning and to be honest, unless you are riding within 10-15% of the sleds limits, these Nytros are solid. At 55-70 mph on the trails, I never once felt like I was outriding the sled, lots of FUN. Time to grease and pack up the leathers and wait for the next snowfall!

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg

Below 60 F... Thinking snow soon : ) Have been putting trickle charger on every month and seems to be flashing green at start and full green in ten min so no issues on last years battery. List for this year (short thank goodness):

1. MountainTech full skid plate
2. New starboard Yamaha black painted spindle
3. Mount LED ground effect lights (opt)
4. Start... Squeeze throttle as long as possible. : )

Ordered spindle (#2)... One down. Considering a muffler update, looking at the SB guts swap as don't want the blaaaaaa at constant throttle speed. Any experiences or suggestions?

Other item on list is heavy duty springs, I weigh 190-195 (6') but add leathers, boots, helmet, 1.5 gallon gas on rack, 10lb. misc (shovel, spares, minimal survival gear) on rack and I suspect I am all of 250lb+ so find at speed on those long paper road whoops I bottom out which sucks at 75mph. Assuming soft setting or med with heavy springs is better than stiff w regular too, anyone using Yamaha heavy springs with seat of pants impressions?

2011-15 apex xtx springs are heavyer than your stock nitro xtx springs. sry already gave away my spare set of apex xtx springs to a 300lb+ guy with a nitro xtx as i run the nitro springs on mine.

I wonder if I am too light for the heavy springs... Going to talk to HyGear first and see what they suggest then make final decision. Leaning towards adding them, last year on stiff setting stock springs bottomed out on landing after those rolling hill 85 mph straight logging roads in northern Maine. Awesome yet rare tracks so maybe I am pushing the limits and need to accept those situations but hoping there is a solution.

Thinking of adding a Montana 680t this year on a handlebar mount... Anyone have experience w this gps?

image.jpeg

Figured you might be able to answer this for me. Upper control arm rear bolts....how the neck do you reach them? Can't for the life of me figure out how to get into them.

Or are they a nut and through bolt from the front?

Thanks

Back