• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2009 Yamaha Nytro Subframe?

Grimm said:
Here's some pics of the work involved with repairing the subframe. It really helps to have an Uncle who knows how to weld.

Grimm, what did you use as refrence points or measurements to determine what had to be re-bent back into the original location?

I have a bent subframe sitting in the corner of my garage that I would like to straighten and reinforce but I figured it would be pretty hard to move things back into place.

Basically, when we had it on the table, I bolted the A-arms, shocks and ski spindles onto the subframe. Since only the right side took the brunt of the twisting, we worked on trying to match the specs to the left side. There are a couple of holes in the subframe (mount points for the plastic panels), that were used as reference point for measuring distances also.

It was surprising to see that such a small difference in measurement, say a 1/4 inch, would be noted at the mount point for an A-arm, would equate to a 2 inch difference out at the spindles.

Take your time and be anal about getting back into alignment.

Here's a crude pic to give you an idea on measuring points that I used to align the subframe. Basically, it was just comparing measurements on one side versus the other and keeping things square at the end.

Attachments

• 7a.JPG
    7a.JPG
    110.6 KB · Views: 1,591
Grimm said:
Here's a crude pic to give you an idea on measuring points that I used to align the subframe. Basically, it was just comparing measurements on one side versus the other and keeping things square at the end.

Your pic didn't show up. Another question. What did you use to force the fram back into position? I've heard of guys tieing their sled between two trucks and the subframe barely moving.

I persuaded things by using a hammer and a block of metal or wood, little by little. I helps to holds things in place with a clamp or two. The flat metal section with the large circular cutout, I just ended up hammering flat. Also, pulling on the A-arms help too.

YamaMTX said:
Grimm thanks for that last info. It will help a bunch. After fixing it have you had any problems?

I haven't had an opportunity to test it out yet. I only did this in the spring.

Diamond S doesn't reply to any of my emails. Does anyone know what one of these run for price?
Any other options?
Grimm, was it tough to get your subframe just right? I would really like to straighten mine and weld the crap out of it but don't want to spend days trying to perfect it.

Thanks!

I spent only a few hours on it. Careful with excessive welding, else you'll burn a hole right through. The tubing isn't all that thick.

Regarding the Diamond S subframe, I emailed them a while back too, never got a reply. After searching Snowest forums, I think I remember the cost being over $1000, $1400 kind of sticks in memory though, but I'm not sure. Give them a call instead.

Yeah, if it costs anywhere in that ballpark I will save my breath. Not made of money. Thanks again for the info!

Hey Grimm did you just look at the shock to determine which side was bent? Mine is barely tweaked so it's hard to tell.

Also during pounding back in place how did you maintain the correct mounting hole alignment?

mike g said:
I heard $1800 for the Diamond S frame and saves 8lbs. That is not directly from Scott though.

Wow you could go through like 4 factory subframes for that price. Weight savings is cool however.

Well, no warranty for the subframe! What a joke! Where is the best and cheapest place to get a new 09 subframe?

Back