• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2012 RS Vector- Duallies or longer Carbides?

There are tons of opinions... however I think we can all agree on some straight facts.

1. Alignment is the number one priority. It is relatively easy to do an alignment and get spot on toe in/out. All you need is a measuring tape and some rope.

Personal example: my SRX was darting and tracking badly a few years back. Did a quick alignment and it is still perfect.

2. Dual carbides/snowtrackers are night and day compared to the stock single.

Personal example: My vector was borderline dangerous with darting/ski lift. Put a pair of dual carbides and it's like a sports car. No darting at all, easy steering, no noticeable pushing.

Put a heavier sway bar on your 07 Vector. Noticeable (to me) difference in cornering.

Re the Drag Question.
Duecebars had some Drag . 2-3 mph ish i'd say. Worked very well for the money.
Snotrackers no noticeable drag.

Semi Aggressive Sno Trackers on Stock ski's is likely your best solution if a reasonably aggressive pilot.
Aggressive Snotrackers can bite an inexperienced pilot and even the odd experienced one.
Aggressive Snotrackers on stock ski's on a Vector or pre 2011 Ski's on an Apex are the very best solution in the right experienced hands. No need for aftermarket ski's.

Aggressive Snotrackers can bite an inexperienced pilot and even the odd experienced one.

I've heard far too many stories like this to recommend ST's to a relative newbie like Heffer. No offense Heffer!

I've heard far too many stories like this to recommend ST's to a relative newbie like Heffer. No offense Heffer!
hey no problem. The further back I read and research, I see that everyone is/was a newbie to the darting thing(lots of issues). And Yamaha has been engineering crap skis on 15-22k sleds for some time now. I appreciate everyones input and assistance on this one. Lots of guys have tried a variety of setups, and their opinions through experience for me are great. I have worked and sampled on sleds over the years, I just don't have the time nor the place to do that anymore. So when I get out next time (If we get more snow), I roughly want to be trail ready and not wondering if I take my hand off the handlebars.........if I am going to cross into opposing traffic

I have used duallies, duece, and currently have Slim Jim's. So far I like the SJS best and they don't break the bank.

And Yamaha has been engineering crap skis on 15-22k sleds for some time now.

In defense of Yamaha, darting and "hunting" on sleds has been common for years and still is. No wonder there's what, a dozen brands of aftermarket skis in different shapes and sizes? Doo was the first (I think) to go with dual runner skis and others have followed suit in some way shape or form. Yamaha now has the "Tuner" skis which IMO are a damn site better than the single keel skis, but many people, including me, don't like them and went back to the single keel ski with dual runners. I would love to experiment with different skis but it would be an expensive experiment and one that I can afford but just don't want to.

If you want to spend money on a Monoshock equipped Yamaha 4S, forget skis. Buy a genuine FAST M10 or M20 and put it on. IMO...they turn these sleds into a totally different sled....one that handles great with slightly better toouring ride quality!!!

Back