• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

biffdotorg said:
You done got Rick-Rolled. Someone had to do it, it's that time of year for Rick-Rollin'

where's the upvote button on here?

09nytro said:
Grimm said:
I heard a rumour that Yamaha will eliminate the rear exhaust system.

Why to put more wieght in the front ...thats where it needs to lose alot not gain...they really need to get the eng. under the ridder alittle more to get some wieght off the front end ...thats just a start...but we will see very soon...when is the date anyways

A relocation of the rear exhaust to under the hood would involve a more compact and lighter exhaust system. This would allow Yamaha to relocate gas tank rearward (under seat), remove the radiator from under the hood and use tunnel heat exchangers instead. This would balance the weight better and reduce weight overall.

Grimm said:
09nytro said:
Grimm said:

Why to put more wieght in the front ...thats where it needs to lose alot not gain...they really need to get the eng. under the ridder alittle more to get some wieght off the front end ...thats just a start...but we will see very soon...when is the date anyways

A relocation of the rear exhaust to under the hood would involve a more compact and lighter exhaust system. This would allow Yamaha to relocate gas tank rearward (under seat), remove the radiator from under the hood and use tunnel heat exchangers instead. This would balance the weight better and reduce weight overall.
Exhaust up front would create more heat.More heat = Less HP(one of the reason yamahas sled motors makes the others seem,well,bland).The tunnel mounted exhaust is not going anywhere,instead it will get shorter like the new apex.

low slung said:
Grimm said:
09nytro said:
Grimm said:

Exhaust up front would create more heat.More heat = Less HP(one of the reason yamahas sled motors makes the others seem,well,bland).The tunnel mounted exhaust is not going anywhere,instead it will get shorter like the new apex.

Good point!!!!!!!

There should be a prize for the person who guesses closest to an actual production model. LaLaLa

Since the speculation is at full tilt, I'll throw this one out there ... and let me just say this one is waaay outside the box.

Yamaha makes a scooter called the TMAX. It has an injected liquid cooled 500cc motor with CVT. Approx 46hp, 38ft./lbs. torque. The motor has forward lean (almost lay-down) profile with front exhaust ports. It could be an ideal motor for a rider forward style, Bravo sized, base model sled ... sort of an adult Snoscoot if you will. Yamaha did get rid of the Bravo last year, and rumors were flying that a new Phazer-like sled was supposed to be released, but got pulled at the last minute. It wouldn't be much for those wanting something with more power, but it is something Yamaha could produce on short notice, as they already have the components to build something like this, and it would fit into their existing line-up.

So, what do I get if I'm right? :-o

I am really pulling for the Yamaha/Cat thing. They can learn a lot from each other for sure. While I know straight up that my new 800 E-Tec is not as reliable engine wise as a Yamaha, it is way more fun to ride. Ride and handling is 10x better out of the box and the E-Tec pulls real hard. All I added was an outside edge set of carbides to the Pilot 5.7 skis that came stock and it rails thru the corners. Zero darting on the straights and corners. The sled just plain rocks. I had a ton of fun on my Vector and Nytro, but until Yamaha comes out with something much much better I am a Doo guy. When we got the new Doos home in October I was wondering if we made a $17,000.00 mistake. We didn't.

Grimm said:
09nytro said:
Grimm said:

I agree with this 100%.

When looking at weight, you also need to take into account of the 50 lbs of ice formed out back due to the rear exhaust. Sometimes trying to save weight just adds weight overall. I don't see any issues with heat up front with a front dump. Doo does it and so does cat. Also would be nice to throw storage out back like all other 3 OEMs.

Dan

Sled Dog said:
You forgot to mention about all the blown engines the stingy oil burning etec two strokes had and still have. Is that progress or trying to beat govt regulations? It would be the latter and how about the $200 cat belts being burned up in a day is that going forward? You can go back and read how much some members here disliked not having reliability, walking is not fun and not being able to do one trip without a breakdown is not fun either. Yamaha is reliabilty becasue they build things well which means more weight you can ride or walk your choice in the ten years I have owned my 4 strokes yamis I have never had to walk home or be pulled home. I have pulled the other three colors more than once. Build them light and they will break down more often the other three have proven that point as well. There is room for Yamaha to make some improvements and I do hope they do it but not at the cost of losing reliabilty its what this company stands for and some just dont get it. Your not going to will or force Yamaha to build something that is not reliable its that simple.

I never claimed 2 strokes were more reliable the 4-strokes. However, 2-strokes were supposed to be dead years ago when the EPA regs came out and with technology and innovations they are still around and can actually get better milage than a 4-stroke. Certain models of 2-stroke engines from certain companies are way worse than others for reliability and a guy has to pick his poison. Are the '13 Cat's still having belt issues?

I don't follow your logic in how a heavier weight makes a sled more reliable?

Rear exiting exhaust is the most ridiculous idea ever to grace snowmobiling. I'd like to meet the engineer that didn't realize snow melts when it meets a heat source and re-freezes when it meets cold aluminum! Lol

I'm not a fan of the rear exit exhaust in its current configuration for two reasons. One its heavier than it needs to be. Anyone who has handled the muffler on their Deltabox or Nytro will attest to how heavy they are. Two, all the ice build up that was just mentioned. The rear exhaust design in good in theory but in practice it adds a bunch of weight. To make it work I think they need to either route the exhaust totally above the tunnel (don't know what you'd do with the tank) or run the exhaust under the tunnel completely heat shielded from the snow thrown by the track. It would run down a "chase" for lack of a better term. Have this chase go the full length and width of the tunnel. I like the above the tunnel set up better but the tank would somehow have to straddle the hot exhaust pipe somehow.

I do like the rear exhaust in how it allows them to cant the motor back towards the rider to help reduce the weight on the front end. I think it could be made to work much better than the present arrangement.

Something I noticed on my first ride on my RMK in 18" of dry fluffy snow was the total lack of ice build up under the tunnel. I could easily pick the back of the sled up even with the running boards filled with snow because it didn't have all the extra weight from ice.

image_zps410d978d.jpg

About 15-20 degrees out.

image_zpsa51fc3a5.jpg

Looking up under the rear flap into the tunnel.

AKrider said:
Sled Dog said:
You forgot to mention about all the blown engines the stingy oil burning etec two strokes had and still have. Is that progress or trying to beat govt regulations? It would be the latter and how about the $200 cat belts being burned up in a day is that going forward? You can go back and read how much some members here disliked not having reliability, walking is not fun and not being able to do one trip without a breakdown is not fun either. Yamaha is reliabilty becasue they build things well which means more weight you can ride or walk your choice in the ten years I have owned my 4 strokes yamis I have never had to walk home or be pulled home. I have pulled the other three colors more than once. Build them light and they will break down more often the other three have proven that point as well. There is room for Yamaha to make some improvements and I do hope they do it but not at the cost of losing reliabilty its what this company stands for and some just dont get it. Your not going to will or force Yamaha to build something that is not reliable its that simple.

I never claimed 2 strokes were more reliable the 4-strokes. However, 2-strokes were supposed to be dead years ago when the EPA regs came out and with technology and innovations they are still around and can actually get better milage than a 4-stroke. Certain models of 2-stroke engines from certain companies are way worse than others for reliability and a guy has to pick his poison. Are the '13 Cat's still having belt issues?

I don't follow your logic in how a heavier weight makes a sled more reliable?

Yes from what I have heard there are still belt issues with the cats. I talked to some guys that were on a trip last weekend. I believe 3 cats went down for different reasons to where they had to ride back ups( pretty bad when they plan on bringing back up sleds along). I know one was a '13 that went through two belts, and the second belt didn't last 5 miles. That same sled a couple weeks ago had the oil return line come off to where he lost some oil, needless to say he is now running with some Yamalube in it. One of the other sleds that went down was a f-chassis. Had a radiator line rub a whole in it to where he lost all of is coolent. Bad thing on that was to get it back to the cabin they all took turns pissing in a bottle to be able to keep it cool.

On the heavier weight part I was talking with a buddy last night that said he saw 4 new Ski-doo XMs rentals that were completely totaled bc someone would hit a rock or stump on one side in the a-arms and it just sends a shockwave through the whole sled to where everything else is now tweaked to. To me that says some weight can't be all bad...

To build things reliable and durable it weighs more because you need more of what your building with or you use exotic very expensive light but strong exotic metals. Yamaha is a company that likes to over engineer and over build things. The bracket and handle for the reverse gear for instance. I just changed mine because the plastic handle part broke off the rest of it was way over built and way to heavy for its need. The whole thing could have been and should have been built with aluminium getting rid of I would bet two pounds of weight and the only thing that breaks on them the plastic handle. Here they could have made it lighter but even more reliable for its purpose. This is a good example of how Yamaha over does things when building something.

Just got back from my dealer, Minneapolis show will be open to public feb. 21st 4 to 9, he thought it was at the Hilton but was going to get back to me. Only a few weeks left!!!

Ok here is my prediction and its out of the box as well. Yamaha has taken the four stroke engine and flipped it around in the chassis so that now the two clutches are on the right side of the sled. The engine still spins the exact same direction it did while the clutches were on the left side and the secondary and primary still run the same way even the belt still runs the same way. The power transfers through to the left side which is now the chaincase hopefully belts now and drives the track from the left side instead of the right. The sled now has front exiting exhaust and the seat rear now has more room for storage and the suspension now does not get 50 lbs of ice on it. Its called the XEPA which is APEX backwards. This will work unless I am missing something.

Back