• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

it came from bullhead moto... Not sure if they are still around or not but we had looked into sending 3 machines down to them a few years ago

Bullheadmoto is no more ... The owner, Tony something or other, had a few mock-up scoots at Haydays several years back. That is a photo of one them. He took money from people to build modded scoots and then had some family issues and just disappeared. There are a quite few folks who got stiffed, and would love to have there money back.

I remember talking to Jason Houle of Straightline Performance a couple of summers ago. He showed me some photos of a scoot that they had built for Bullhead (that's right, Bullhead wasn't building them on his own). When Jason didn't get paid for the work he'd done, a local dealer (can't say who on this site) came looking for the scoot. Turns out Bullhead didn't even own the scoot.

I never met the guy, but he did have some pretty wild looking scoots. However, it only looked good in photos and the actual working scoot he posted on youtube was very different (in terms of the components used) than the ones shown on his website. Some guys said they had good dealings with him, but he left enough people holding the bag to know that you would wise to steer clear of him.

Sounds like another Excelsior Henderson episode. Although they did produce 1981 bikes before folding but left the town of Belle Paline with some nice bills and stiffed their stock holders too.

OK enough off topic.....

Dropped off my sled at dealer for some work and they tell me Yamaha is changing everything Snowmobile and Motorcycle next year.... again another speculation. Dealer show in my area March 25th I will certainly be in attendance.

That is the gyst I got also...changing everything. Where there is smoke there's fire. Is anyone counting how many more sleeps?

I apologize up front if this pisses you off...lol

I know everybody is excited about the "NEW" Yamaha's that are coming...I am too

However I am a bit of a skeptic...a doubting thomas if you will. ( I do love being proven wrong though..especially on yamaha snowmobiles)

I know some of you are going to rush right out and buy whatever it is that's coming out...because it's new, and it's a yamaha.
But here is where I have to be the turd in the punch bowl...Do you guys recall when the Viper came out??? Do you remember those glowing reviews, and how they somehow changed in 6 months...from a "sled that carves up corners"..."A big bump champ"...to "the sled with a skid filled with rocks"..."buckboard wagon"..etc???

Do you recall the Rx-1 intro??

How about the 2008 NYTRO?? Remember the awesome reviews of the proto-types??
"faster than an apex"...."wheelies on command" (later we found out the proto-types had uncoupled skids, with shocks that didn't have final calibration)
Remember the glowing early season reviews...right here on totally yamaha...and how they turned real sour by the end of january...with post after post of guys trying to figure out how to get these sleds to handle...??? Or how to set the suspension up??

I mentioned the Rx-1 above...because most of us were totally awestruck by it...we would learn by the following january...that they were slower than the srx, and rode like CRAP...by the 2005 model, they had significantly improved wouldn't you agree??
I also think the 2013 nytros, are the best version of this machine

Which brings me to my point....I have yet to see a first year model that didn't have some bugs to work out (pick a brand, any brand), and quite frankly...yamaha's last BIG announcement..the NYTRO...in hind site..it was a good idea, that imo was a year too late, and wasn't executed properly.... Sorry to piss you nytro owners off...but I am certain the guys who bought 08's weren't very happy with the way they handled, or the 7 gallon gas tank (DUMB IDEA). Nobody can pick on the motor...it's awesome (as are all yamaha four strokes)...but...kind of a let down don't ya think??? (the nytros)

I hate to see some of you get all hyped up, only to be let down...I really hope yamaha hits a home run with their new sled, or sleds...time will tell.
I am sure their will be lots of exciting articles about how good it rides, how well it handles, and how fast they are....and I will be reading them too...but...being the doubting thomas that I am...I will wait....and read what you guys post here on totally yamaha...if I see all kinds of posts on "how do I get this thing to handle"...."darting"..."an etec kicked my #*$&@"..."the suspensions sucks" etc...I will really be disappointed...and probably will be done with yamaha.

I know you blue hearts like me won't like this...but I think now is the time to buy something else and try it...that way yamaha will have a couple of seasons to work the bugs out, and if it is that homerun sled....you can always trade it in for your new yami...and nobody could then call you biased, as you have ridden brand x for a couple of seasons, before switching back to yamaha

Right??? (or am I barking up the wrong tree)

So I just read Chris' post on Sled Talk.

Do you find yourself trying to read between the lines of his posts in the first couple months of the year, every year? From what I could read between the lines was that Yamaha may be focusing on the younger generations of sledders being that the older generations have found what they truly love in a snowmobile.

He has eluded to a starter sled in the past, thus the SRX120 was released last year. Today, he speaks of the difference between needs and wants. Most of us agree that our current sleds fulfill our needs very well. But we all want a refresh every 2-3 years. That is what I am reading on paper. What I may be reading between the lines is that Yamaha may not be coming with a sled to fullfill our wants this year, as they are not necessarily needs.

They may be looking to fullfill "their" needs by gaining market share. They may do this by going after the younger market in hopes of grabbing market share for the long run. For the same reason that Apple almost gave schools computers in the 80s-90's, those users are now in the marketplace filling their businesses with macs. (sorry, I'm a tech geek and the analogy fits) Yamaha gets the young riders on Blue early, and soon enough they will want to continue to purchase blue.

As I mentioned, I tend to try to read between the lines of his posts this time of year. Don't even try to tell me you don't do the same thing. It's all left up to interpretation until the announcements.

You know I will continue to ride a Yamaha snowmobile no matter what some french canadian marketing yellowshirt dreams up. Real tired of this weight
crap thrown at Yamaha by Skidog. We kick their arses at the Shoot out the past two years in the six-hundred class. Oh with a sled that is considered a cruiser. A long track Vector. Gee maybe we should have brought out the NYTRO XTX and really embarassed them. We win in cross country. We win in drags. Our engines are the best. Rotax keep trying. They copied our three banger four-stroke. Stop playing the Skidog game. Oh we need a ultra light tin can when you step on one side of the frame you tweak the opposite side ski. The dirty little Skidog secret is they have been quietly adding weight to the past two or three year models to beef up the aluminum beer can frame. Deep snow and snowcross are not the only side of our sport. Next time one of your yellow riding pals starts breaking em. Ask him how is that siix hundred etec running. New pistons yet? Hows that ultra light drive train holding up? Twisted and broke. My Yamaha is running fine. :yam:

Gotta agree with Biff ... When Cat released their latest procross chassis, which was followed up by new tech from Poo and Doo, the most Yamaha had to offer was tuner skis, sliders, and BNG, and my first thought was they got caught behind the eight ball and now they're playing catch-up.

I personally don't believe Yamaha was putting any time into their sled R&D when Cat came out with their 2012 line up. I'm sure YMC noticed Cat's sales though, and so did Poo and Doo, who both brought new things to market for 2013. I think they did because they had already developed the ideas for those changes ... it takes time at the very least to re-tool for those changes.

I think YMC would've have brought something new to market sooner if they'd had it in the works already. The fact that they haven't is a tip-off that they did not then have something they felt comfortable releasing (whether from a reliability or from an R&D standpoint). That is also why I've said in other posts that YMC will not likely have anything game changing until at least 2016. I believe it will take at least that long to develop and re-tool for something new.

One other thing - Yamaha has always focused more on the trail sled market than the mountain segment, and I believe that market is slowing dying due to the brown belt creeping ever further north. Western riders however, continue to see good winters and with the trend toward longer tracked sleds, I would think that Yamaha would be wise to offer something for that market. YMC is still involved in XC racing. Hopefully, they will show us what they can do in that area too.

For now, it's still anyone's guess.

Heritage said:
I apologize up front if this pisses you off...lol

I know everybody is excited about the "NEW" Yamaha's that are coming...I am too

However I am a bit of a skeptic...a doubting thomas if you will. ( I do love being proven wrong though..especially on yamaha snowmobiles)

I know some of you are going to rush right out and buy whatever it is that's coming out...because it's new, and it's a yamaha.
But here is where I have to be the turd in the punch bowl...Do you guys recall when the Viper came out??? Do you remember those glowing reviews, and how they somehow changed in 6 months...from a "sled that carves up corners"..."A big bump champ"...to "the sled with a skid filled with rocks"..."buckboard wagon"..etc???

Do you recall the Rx-1 intro??

How about the 2008 NYTRO?? Remember the awesome reviews of the proto-types??
"faster than an apex"...."wheelies on command" (later we found out the proto-types had uncoupled skids, with shocks that didn't have final calibration)
Remember the glowing early season reviews...right here on totally yamaha...and how they turned real sour by the end of january...with post after post of guys trying to figure out how to get these sleds to handle...??? Or how to set the suspension up??

I mentioned the Rx-1 above...because most of us were totally awestruck by it...we would learn by the following january...that they were slower than the srx, and rode like CRAP...by the 2005 model, they had significantly improved wouldn't you agree??
I also think the 2013 nytros, are the best version of this machine

Which brings me to my point....I have yet to see a first year model that didn't have some bugs to work out (pick a brand, any brand), and quite frankly...yamaha's last BIG announcement..the NYTRO...in hind site..it was a good idea, that imo was a year too late, and wasn't executed properly.... Sorry to piss you nytro owners off...but I am certain the guys who bought 08's weren't very happy with the way they handled, or the 7 gallon gas tank (DUMB IDEA). Nobody can pick on the motor...it's awesome (as are all yamaha four strokes)...but...kind of a let down don't ya think??? (the nytros)

I hate to see some of you get all hyped up, only to be let down...I really hope yamaha hits a home run with their new sled, or sleds...time will tell.
I am sure their will be lots of exciting articles about how good it rides, how well it handles, and how fast they are....and I will be reading them too...but...being the doubting thomas that I am...I will wait....and read what you guys post here on totally yamaha...if I see all kinds of posts on "how do I get this thing to handle"...."darting"..."an etec kicked my #*$&@"..."the suspensions sucks" etc...I will really be disappointed...and probably will be done with yamaha.

I know you blue hearts like me won't like this...but I think now is the time to buy something else and try it...that way yamaha will have a couple of seasons to work the bugs out, and if it is that homerun sled....you can always trade it in for your new yami...and nobody could then call you biased, as you have ridden brand x for a couple of seasons, before switching back to yamaha

Right??? (or am I barking up the wrong tree)

.. some first year models from certain manufactures have been great and the following years got a little detuned. Also It don't matter what year or model it is theres allways some bugs .. just first year usally get the most attention thell say its fixed by selling or updating u with the same damn part !

Yamaha like almost all Japanese companies are very cautious by nature of their culture. They will always play the wait and see cautious game while working on new ideas that have to get past their higher ups. The ones that come up with these innovative ideas that are liked are the ones that get the nod to move ahead and get promoted or rewarded for good work. That is why Yamaha will always be bringing in new innovations but at a slower pace. That said when they commit to something they go at it full bore like no more 2 strokes and that kind of thinking can hurt them for sure if it means missing a market like the mountain. They can build a mountain sled two stroke and maybe they should until such time they can make a 4 stroke light enough or maneuverable enough to take its place. Balance and handling will be key to get that done but I beleive they will in time.

did Yamaha do good or bad buy building one heck of a 4stroke .. I mean these motors last forever and people are holding on to ther sleds a lot longer which in turn makes them not buy new every couple years . now they can stretch it out a lot further

I buy a new sled every 2 years because of the miles I rack up. Since my 2007 Apex RTX I've owned a 2010 1/2 800 E-tec and I'm currenty on a 2012 Rush 800 LE. Both have been great sleds but I've always been Yamaha at heart. I'll be in the market for a new sled next season. I'd like to own another Yamaha. But if they don't release a new model with significant changes...I'll be buying a Doo or a Poo.

There's a picture on Ross Erdman's face book page of his cross country sled in the garage with what looks like possibly a die cast sub frame if you look at where upper control arms mount and the front body work looks more finished, possibly getting close to final production form ? Also on USXC site there's a picture of back end of sled that shows a rear mounted heat exchanger at end of tunnel.

Back