• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

brad d said:
fourload said:
Is hydrostatics more efficient than the CVT???

it has its place, but its more for work horse applications. I could be wrong but i have never seen it in a high speed machine.

Ohlins has a hydraulic motor and pump combination rated at 12 500 rpm, used on 2WD yfz 450 and more importantly for snowmobiles, a 2WD R1. It weighs 8kg or a little over 16 pounds for the total system.

fourload said:
150 hp Apex puts out approx 80hp down at the track so CVT is not much to compete against except in the weight department. But thinking outside the box, taking out the clutches and the distance between the clutches required in a CVT system as well as running a gear/chain case, who knows the limits that could be pushed. Takes allot of wild thinking, but who knows how far it can go.

Dan

Since the letters S and R are used in their new trade mark, maybe a new SR....X in the future. Probably replace the apex by then. For now I would assume big changes in the Nytro and phazer department. BNG for apex,vector and venture.

Yamaha clutching is solid, light and super efficient, I think not.... to trans change.
Weight has got to be the biggest issue with most people.
They can win the game with four strokes.........they did it in a sport that you would least likely expect it........motorcross. I say not to the 2 stroke.
Expect a wicked chassis. My best guess say's it will remind people of the snoscoot.
What constitutes "first ever" I have not a clue but I think that will not be what will make the sled so exciting.
my 2 cents

Dano said:
fourload said:
150 hp Apex puts out approx 80hp down at the track so CVT is not much to compete against except in the weight department. But thinking outside the box, taking out the clutches and the distance between the clutches required in a CVT system as well as running a gear/chain case, who knows the limits that could be pushed. Takes allot of wild thinking, but who knows how far it can go.

Dan

In reading more this morning Hydrostatics look like they are up to 90% Efficient at higher RPM, other numbers I saw were 20-30% loss - Worst was 40%

Let's see 180 at the crank at 90% Efficiency to the track - 162Hp at the track or only about Double existing drivetrain efficiency, worst case at 40% loss 108 HP to the track.

I'll happily take either or anything in between, and never have to worry about blowing a damn belt again.

journeyman said:
sheetwright said:
Now the question is if doo releases their 160-180hp sled like the rumors are saying, can yamaha sway as many young and new riders to increase sales?

Will there be an uproar because the linear, great sounding, just go forever apex is gone?

Will people switch to a new brand or hoard today's models because they will have a half breed sled and not 100% yamaha? Even though yamaha's suspensions are a little dated now.

Will the manufacturing of yamaha parts by cat offset the sales cat will lose to yamaha because they now will have the highest hp sled on the market with a range of 470lbs only?

So what are the rumors on this theory? A two stroke or a 4 stroke?

They are bumping up their four stoke. The motor was always made for bigger power, but the drive components they had at the time couldn't handle it

morrisond said:
Dano said:
fourload said:

Dan

In reading more this morning Hydrostatics look like they are up to 90% Efficient at higher RPM, other numbers I saw were 20-30% loss - Worst was 40%

Let's see 180 at the crank at 90% Efficiency to the track - 162Hp at the track or only about Double existing drivetrain efficiency, worst case at 40% loss 108 HP to the track.

I'll happily take either or anything in between, and never have to worry about blowing a damn belt again.
Thats probably how there going to make the replacement apex, if they put the 3cyl motor in it, to top out at higher speeds, is with more gears in a transmission. Nytro and phazer probably have the CVT

There are car companies using CVT based trans now and expect to see more in the future as cars get lighter. The loss in track horspower comes exactly from that .......the track. Cvt is very efficient and there are a ton of people putting over 300 horsepower thru them without problem.
If Yamaha is listening and we now in the recent past they are...........developement best spent on chassis. Two versions...........one for the boomers and one for my boyz.........can't wait!

I'd bet there is a big twin in our future. Maybe 850 900. The 4 bangers gone. They can make huge power with the current triple.just ask the snow cross racers.
They want to get prices down and less holes makes good sence.
best guess on motors

PureBlue said:
http://youtu.be/gvli-uU8NTw

Here is a video of the new Honda with this system. It could work well on a sled.

Definitely something of interest ... better / more efficient power transmission means that a smaller engine will still put more hp to the track than a larger engine .... plus less rotating mass!

Back