• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2015 Viper starts but wont stay running until warmed up.

Jason.Benjamin

Veteran
2015 Viper starts but wont stay running until warmed up.

I can get the Viper to start but I have to keep the throttle crack open just ever so slightly until she has warmed up.
(like literal almost resting my hand on the throttle paddle)

It was like this all last year running premium gas even after a few tanks worth.

Is there a micro switch in the throttle housing that could be bad?
Or something else to look at? ECM flash?

I have seen similar posts but slightly different symptoms.

I am thinking she should get spark plugs Regardless are the certain plugs recommended?

We had this happen on our Winder but once I brought the machine in the shop and got it thawed out it went away.

Also might be your idle speed sensor. But you will need the service manual to check it and all the other sensors. Basically I wouldn’t work on a sled unless I had the specific service manual. I don’t have a viper manual just a nytro one

Sorry this doesn't mean enough to me on what to check or adjust….

I understand what the throttle is after all it is the go fast switch. :)
Just dont know what the correct amount of free play should look like.
With very light touch on lever a credit card should slide through gap between lever and block.

Just a section about throttle ignition monitor switch. Which does really tell you how to test or adjust Anything.

In the service manual is there better instructions to test things and adjust them?
Not sure. The adjuster is on cable under the rubber tube attached to riser. Check and adjust if needed.

If you have 7k miles or more it’s time for exhaust valve clearance check. Tight exhaust valves affect cold starting.

It will run for about 30-45 seconds then on restart I have to hold the trottle open enough to keep it running.

New Iridium eix plugs go in this week.
I know I have flooded it a few times on 2nd start.

I wouldn’t try any more until you get new plugs in. Your risking a kickback taking out the starter, two gears and the stator/stator wheel…over $1k damage.

Plugs swapped

starts easier but still runs for 30 seconds then idle drops down a good amount and stalls.

Restarts eaisly but will not keep idle until it is up to ~95 temp

9900 miles on the sled, not that I know how many on these plugs.

Attachments

• 0AE66B9E-F9A3-415E-9516-1ED1C09DF17C.jpeg
    0AE66B9E-F9A3-415E-9516-1ED1C09DF17C.jpeg
    92.2 KB · Views: 115
Your valves need adjusting.
Lucky you made it that far before needing an adjustment.
Mine got tight at 6500 miles.
Just one of the many things to deal with when running a 4 stroke.

Back