• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2017 sidewinder chaincase problem after 45 miles of riding

Riding with my buddy and his new sidewinder. Kept my 16 apex as I have been a ginny pig too many times for yamaha over the years. Were trail riding and I notice he is not behind me anymore. I turn around thinkin he blew a belt. Well, he chain case is toast.. WHY??? The ole dependable Apex towed him outa the woods and he is anxious to hit the dealer Monday morning as he is pissed. Hope they keep makin the dependable apex for many years to come as I am unimpressed with the side winders. Any one else having chaincase problems and this could be a brewing recall coming yamaha's way?

On no, I hope this is just a bad one. I guess we will find out in a few weeks once people get some riding in.

what exactly happened? There is zero detail here.

Could be simple or major....the chaincase is the ONE thing I worry about mechanically more then anything else on these,as they are all cat design, even if Yam beefed gears ect...

No pics of a blow apart case? Or did it just pop into Neutral or something?

Dan

He said it felt like he blew a belt, belt was fine. He could turn the secondary by hand with belt on. It could be the chain broke or a gear. We were on the trail going about 60 mph. Good snow conditions

My money is on the reverse actuator come out. My viper did that a cpl times. Turned key off and started back up again and it went back in. Dealer fixed it.

It would be nice that something was posted after all the facts were gathered. Love the title... BLOWS UP....LOL, let see the oil all over please.

^^^^ yep...the motor keeps pressure to hold in gear...probably minor...still a pita for sure...

It would be nice that something was posted after all the facts were gathered. Love the title... BLOWS UP....LOL, let see the oil all over please.
Exactly. I opened this thread expecting to see pictures of a "blown up" chain case...........

Bleedyamaha,

Thanks for your great input. My buddy had the sled loaded to take to the dealer and I called him to start it up and see if it went back in and guess what? The machine operates fine both forward and backward. Now what would cause that to pop out when your cruising??

Thanks again bleedyamaha

Candy dude, you just scared the bejesus out of us! I may have to buy you a dictionary so you can look up some more appropriate adjectives. I was envisioning a connecting rod sticking out the side or Wile-e-coyote all burnt when his TNT blew up under him. Us guys coming off pure Yamaha's are going to very sensitive for a while, so treat us like a women at that time of month...

StevewithOCD,

I have owned over 25 new yamahas and being I had to tow him it just did not seem right. It still is not right to just pop out of drive like it did. He actually could turn the secondary with belt on so even I thought the chain broke or gear in the chaincase. I will only buy Yamaha's that are pure and not half breeds. This happening is not typical for Yamaha but maybe acceptable for AC. I owe ya a tampoon--jk

Back