• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2019 release

Hopefully the "bad news" is for Poo, Doo and AC, and Yamaha is going to release a new sled that shows it is reasserting itself as a major force in the snowmobile industry!!!! :yam:

Okay, well I can dream can't I?
If your right.....Ill faint....

So yesterday my dad shows me a Dirt Wheels magazine and they had a small photo of a future made in Japan Yamaha......it was a snowbike with a 450 YZF dirt bike engine in it. Weird thing is it had 2 skis instead of a single ski. Maybe to make it legal to run on trails?

We'll see tomorrow......

New Polaris Patriot 850 engine. Polaris claims the most powerful engine they've ever built.

Other marketing shows they are doubling down on the mountain market. I can't blame them since it's the only market showing solid growth these days.

This is not a bash on Yamaha but it's interesting that all of the other OEM's have introduced new 2-smoke engines/technology in the last year and they all out sell Yamaha sleds in the marketplace.

Ski Doo claims that their 4 strokes outsell all other OEM's 4 strokes combined. They seem to be playing to both sides of the fence regarding engine choices and good for them.

Polaris just launched their new 2019 sleds without any new 4-strokes. They're going to take a bite out of Ski Doo's market share next year with their new 850 2 smoke.

Where does this leave our beloved Yamaha? As an engine supplier or a real player/innovator
in the industry like we all remember them?

Tomorrow will tell.

Last edited:
Where does this leave our beloved Yamaha?
In a flooded used snowmobile market. Snowchecking an 850 XCR. 850 built purposely for the Axys chasis with a 4 year warranty equals all the fun one can have on snow.

If Yamaha doesn't blow my mind tomorrow...like they haven't since 05....I'm off to snowcheck a new 850 Polaris...waited long enough for Yamaha to admit they "weren't 100% correct"....( actually,WRONG).... by going totally 4-stroke...I will be buying the girlfriend a viper ltx...but I want more power and lighter weight since I do enjoy off trail powder and ditch running( love jumping driveways)....

This is not a bash on Yamaha but it's interesting that all of the other OEM's have introduced new 2-smoke engines/technology in the last year and they all out sell Yamaha sleds in the marketplace.

Ski Doo claims that their 4 strokes outsell all other OEM's 4 strokes combined. They seem to be playing to both sides of the fence regarding engine choices and good for them.

Polaris just launched their new 2019 sleds without any new 4-strokes. They're going to take a bite out of Ski Doo's market share next year with their new 850 2 smoke.

Where does this leave our beloved Yamaha? As an engine supplier or a real player/innovator
in the industry like we all remember them?

Tomorrow will tell.

Supplier of engines and stuff you can bolt on to any chassis. If they were honest about it I'd be okay with it.

If Yamaha doesn't blow my mind tomorrow...like they haven't since 05....I'm off to snowcheck a new 850 Polaris...waited long enough for Yamaha to admit they "weren't 100% correct"....( actually,WRONG).... by going totally 4-stroke...I will be buying the girlfriend a viper ltx...but I want more power and lighter weight since I do enjoy off trail powder and ditch running( love jumping driveways)....

I expect a lowered and faster Spring order only Sidewinder SRX tomorrow which will join the rest of the Sidewinder series. They will all include the improvements you saw on the Cats. The big news will be the available iQS (same as iACT) suspension system. SRViper gets new gen bodywork along with the same improvements and available iQS.

Big question is what if any legacy Yamaha Japan models return. Rumor has it Apex and/or Vector could come back one more year. Using up parts stock? RS Venture or TRF built SR Venture only?

SnoScoot gets an electric start option.

Phazer???

That’s it folks. It’ll be a decent line-up of 4 Stroke snowmobiles with improvements all around, but I don’t see anything coming that will surprise us.

The market (especially the growing mountain segment) still is hungry for 2 strokes. The new Polaris 850 will sell very well. As long as Yamaha sticks with 4 strokes only I don’t think an ROI business case can be made on Yamaha designing, manufacturing and marketing an all new line of Yamaha only snowmobiles.

A 2002 Viper is not the greatest machine but it will out run any stock Viper/Cat & never look back.
Sorry not even close, Stock for stock. I have both and the are both running well. My sr viper takes both my sx vipers off the line and all the way down the lake. And that was even before I had my sr viper broke in. I love my old vipers but the are not even in the same league as the new vipers.

Back