• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2019 release

Sorry not even close, Stock for stock. I have both and the are both running well. My sr viper takes both my sx vipers off the line and all the way down the lake. And that was even before I had my sr viper broke in. I love my old vipers but the are not even in the same league as the new vipers.

Some 2 stroke Vipers were fast and some were not. If your 4 stroke Viper beats the 2 stroke one you have a slow 2s Viper. Mine was faster than heck and even with 9600 miles it could run neck and neck or beat most of the new stuff. I sold it at the end of 2013 and put every mile on it. On lake Gogebic I spun the speedo up to 125 mph one time. On GPS that was around 114 mph. On that lake I knocked off countless ZR800's, even a ZR900 , ZRT 600's and a 2 stroke Mach Z 1000 twin. My dad's was even faster than mine and was an F7 beater....yes the fast ones (2003).

All we had done to our two machines were Predator tracks and Heavy Hitter clutch kits.

I knew of other Vipers of that time which struggled with 600's. What you usually found was the fast ones had over 130 psi compression on the pto side and a good 145-150 psi in the middle and mag side. The slower ones had 110-115 psi in the pto side and around 125 psi in the other two.

Don't take this as a knock, just pointing out the big disparity between the old 2s Vipers performance. I sure put mine through the paces and when you have a machine that long you really get to know it.

Last edited:

Some 2 stroke Vipers were fast and some were not. If your 4 stroke Viper beats the 2 stroke one you have a slow 2s Viper. Mine was faster than heck and even with 9600 miles it could run neck and neck or beat most of the new stuff. I sold it at the end of 2013 and put every mile on it. On lake Gogebic I spun the speedo up to 125 mph one time. On GPS that was around 114 mph. On that lake I knocked off countless ZR800's, even a ZR900 , ZRT 600's and a 2 stroke Mach Z 1000 twin. My dad's was even faster than mine and was an F7 beater....yes the fast ones (2003).

All we had done to our two machines were Predator tracks and Heavy Hitter clutch kits.

I knew of other Vipers of that time which struggled with 600's. What you usually found was the fast ones had over 130 psi compression on the pto side and a good 145-150 psi in the middle and mag side. The slower ones had 110-115 psi in the pto side and around 125 psi in the other two.

Clutch kits and tracks will make a big difference. My 04 had CPR triples and clutch kit before I took it to stock and that thing would rip your arms out of socket. A stock viper (not sure about fast or slow ones) I’ve owned a bunch of them over the years and they all had the same comp. my 16 viper with the ripsaw will hit a Hundred on the lake with right conditions. The old vipers dream meters may say a hundred but they new ones are still pulling ahead. Not by much. Either way the new ones are still leaps and bounds better. You just can’t make 16 year old tech perform like new.

This is not a bash on Yamaha but it's interesting that all of the other OEM's have introduced new 2-smoke engines/technology in the last year and they all out sell Yamaha sleds in the marketplace.

Ski Doo claims that their 4 strokes outsell all other OEM's 4 strokes combined. They seem to be playing to both sides of the fence regarding engine choices and good for them.

Polaris just launched their new 2019 sleds without any new 4-strokes. They're going to take a bite out of Ski Doo's market share next year with their new 850 2 smoke.

Where does this leave our beloved Yamaha? As an engine supplier or a real player/innovator
in the industry like we all remember them?

Tomorrow will tell.
I hear they build a damn nice pianos!!!

Clutch kits and tracks will make a big difference. My 04 had CPR triples and clutch kit before I took it to stock and that thing would rip your arms out of socket. A stock viper (not sure about fast or slow ones) I’ve owned a bunch of them over the years and they all had the same comp. my 16 viper with the ripsaw will hit a Hundred on the lake with right conditions. The old vipers dream meters may say a hundred but they new ones are still pulling ahead. Not by much. Either way the new ones are still leaps and bounds better. You just can’t make 16 year old tech perform like new.

I can't argue the newer ones ride and handle better no doubt, if the trail was groomed perfect the old ones were a hoot. When it got rough not so much. I had CPR triples on mine too the second year I owned it. It had great top end more so than stock but the CPR pipes were designed more for a 780 BB kit. They were kind of flat down low on a stock engine. Plus it drank fuel like crazy. I took them off and never looked back. After many years went by, low and behold I heard the Jaws were perfect pipes on a stocker. Just not enough feedback around here at the time to pull the trigger.

Ok back on track only hours away from the 2019’s. Here’s a small request....enough with the farm implemant gray. IMHO, it just doesn’t look good, in fact I can’t stand it. Not that purple would be better though. With some of these color options I swear they are forcing buyers to do a wrap.

In a flooded used snowmobile market. Snowchecking an 850 XCR. 850 built purposely for the Axys chasis with a 4 year warranty equals all the fun one can have on snow.
I demo'd a Poo XCR 800 last year after testing an 850 MXZ (flimsy disposable vibrator) and a Sidewinder (nice but a heavy steering 1/2 breed) and on beat up trails it was tbe best handling, quickest (not fastest), smoothest riding, bump eating sled of the day - hands down. Year 1 of a new motor is risky but a 4 year warranty is real nice and will be a blast to ride. 1 more season on the Ape XTX and I think that's where I'm headed... after waiting for the Yamaha 2020 release.

Tune in at noon boys!

Does it come with a shot of NOS?

Does it come with a shot of NOS?
Naw you don’t need it with that Punny little turbo, virtually no lag, they push 5~6 pounds of boost just cruising.

16039503-E818-43A1-9D81-BBAE7C5B98CB.jpeg

Now if you had this turbo on there you might need it.

I'm thinking we are not going to see anything more than we already seen at Cat and the re stickered and lowered sidewinder rebadged SRX, the electric shock control option, and maybe the single rail rear skid MTX sled, maybe some sidewinder panels for the viper, shock upgrades, not sure if they are going to go with the phazer another year, thinkin the vector will hang around for another year, apex maybe another year spring order, that's about it, of course i'm hoping i'm wrong, won't be long now to the release, we will see.

I demo'd a Poo XCR 800 last year after testing an 850 MXZ (flimsy disposable vibrator) and a Sidewinder (nice but a heavy steering 1/2 breed) and on beat up trails it was tbe best handling, quickest (not fastest), smoothest riding, bump eating sled of the day - hands down. Year 1 of a new motor is risky but a 4 year warranty is real nice and will be a blast to ride. 1 more season on the Ape XTX and I think that's where I'm headed... after waiting for the Yamaha 2020 release.
Same here!

Ok back on track only hours away from the 2019’s. Here’s a small request....enough with the farm implemant gray. IMHO, it just doesn’t look good, in fact I can’t stand it. Not that purple would be better though. With some of these color options I swear they are forcing buyers to do a wrap.
I was hesitant about the gray at first but it’s since grown on me. My favourite is all black.

They will have an SRX!

It will have electronic launch control, refined handlebars, a suspension lockout for drag racing, and better skis....

And I bet they redefine the sidewinder as a 200hp class sled with skinnier side panels

But wouldn't it be cool to see a factory 250hp SRX Version!

Funny about colors people like. If the gray and lime is gone I’m looking for a leftover 18. Bought the 50th for shocks, but far prefer the looks of the gray.

Back