• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2020 Release

Status
Not open for further replies.

Now its interesting that for some reason the 1049 suddenly has Valve recession! So either the valves are softer or seats softer but is it possible that the more restrictive exhaust on the Viper holds more heat in the Valve area? More heat can make things softer but spinning a turbo makes more back pressure as well and don't hear of this in the nytros with turbos. Maybe smaller amount and less miles can be the answer to that? I heard fuel as the possible cause but that too would be heat related.

I have to wonder with the 998 turbo what will happen? More power more heat, more back pressure more heat. Cams being different could make a difference only in how fast they close so maybe a fast closing cam could hammer the seats/valves harder! I think though something has changed with the Valve or seat because way to many engines built from 2003 till the Viper and this problem unheard of in that time! If one has to start checking Valves every 5,000 kms as the answer then riding a 4 stroke is no longer the reliable way. We laughed at the two strokes and their top end rebuilds every 3,500 to 5,000 miles but this would kinda put us on par or behind if you include the 250 dollar seasonal oil change!
I was drawn to a 4-stroke (Cat 7000) because of longevity. Yamaha recommended 25,000 miles before valve inspection. In 25,000 miles my valves got tight twice. Valve adjustment rivaled the cost is a top end rebuild on a 2-stroke. My previous 4-stroke (Suzuki) went only 15,000 before a turbo issue took it out. Previous to this I got good life from my 2-strokes. Twice I have rolled up 12,000 miles before they started to rattle. Based on this experience have gone back to a 2-stroke (Cat 6000). In 2020 it would be great news if Yamaha would introduce a best in class 2-stroke. We know they can do it. I fear for the worst if they don’t.

I was drawn to a 4-stroke (Cat 7000) because of longevity. Yamaha recommended 25,000 miles before valve inspection. In 25,000 miles my valves got tight twice. Valve adjustment rivaled the cost is a top end rebuild on a 2-stroke. My previous 4-stroke (Suzuki) went only 15,000 before a turbo issue took it out. Previous to this I got good life from my 2-strokes. Twice I have rolled up 12,000 miles before they started to rattle. Based on this experience have gone back to a 2-stroke (Cat 6000). In 2020 it would be great news if Yamaha would introduce a best in class 2-stroke. We know they can do it. I fear for the worst if they don’t.

That sucks. It also sucks that nobody gave an answer as to why it happened.
Playing devils advocate, why do think the same sled had the same problem twice when there have been almost no previous instances of this happening to this series of motor? Did anyone offer an explanation? Valve stretch(unlikely)? Valve seat receding into the head? Valve face wear? Something was going on with that engine to make that happen twice. Some one with some answers would have been nice for you .
Good luck going forward.

Last edited:
In 2020 it would be great news if Yamaha would introduce a best in class 2-stroke. We know they can do it. I fear for the worst if they don’t.

Agree 100%

I think Yamaha cut costs in almost every segment the last five years or so. That bit them and more importantly us. We are seeing some back peddling on that. Some things just can’t be made cheap with good results especially engines. Hopefully we don’t find more surprises and Yamaha has learned that reputation is worth more than $.

If you see a two stroke I'm sure it will be a 600cc first. Usually more Dependable, and an easier way to put your toe back into the water. No "D" measuring contest right off the bat with all the new 850 models in the market. Also matches the new Yamaha flow of sno scoots- 120cc- 600cc- ?
Start a following from the base. Easier than converting a diehard Ski doo rider etc

Just hope it's a Yamaha 600cc and not a repurposed cat motor like they are using in Europe right now

Just hope it's a Yamaha 600cc and not a repurposed cat motor like they are using in Europe right now

You know that the chances of that Cat Powered, cat chassis, Yamaha from Europe has way more chance than a new all Yamaha 2-stroke. And the only reason for it would be to give Yamaha-only dealers a 2-stroke option. But my guess is there are no Yamaha-only dealers left on this planet. They would be shooting themselves in the foot.

As our local former Yamaha Sled dealer just took over the latest BRP dealer to go belly up. They dropped Yamaha sleds about three seasons ago when they saw the writing on the wall. They felt selling no sleds was better than eating thousands of dollars in Yamaha sled inventory every season.

You know that the chances of that Cat Powered, cat chassis, Yamaha from Europe has way more chance than a new all Yamaha 2-stroke. And the only reason for it would be to give Yamaha-only dealers a 2-stroke option. But my guess is there are no Yamaha-only dealers left on this planet. They would be shooting themselves in the foot.

As our local former Yamaha Sled dealer just took over the latest BRP dealer to go belly up. They dropped Yamaha sleds about three seasons ago when they saw the writing on the wall. They felt selling no sleds was better than eating thousands of dollars in Yamaha sled inventory every season.
I understand what you mean by this, but by me we have Highlands Yamaha, Port Yamaha, Richs Yamaha, Rock River powersports, powersports 1, and recreation plus. All of which only sell Yamaha brand, and no others. I'm sure this could change if Yamaha dumps their sled lineup, but for the meantime It seems as if they are hanging in there

Great boats, sleds, motorcycles, still can't build value for the dealer network …. hmmm..

My family's dealership who advertises here Dranttel's is Yamaha only (for sleds). Snowmobiles isn't their only thing though, they do plenty of other things like outboards, boats,ATV's,trailers, parts and service... etc. to keep the doors open. They are one of the best I have seen with service and customer satisfaction.

I'm just hoping that Yamaha is still in the sled business for model year 2020!

My take on it is Yamaha isn't going anywhere. The market is smaller so they are adjusting their product mix to the riders they have. I am in my late fifties and when I go into a bar off of the trail, it seems to me I am the youngest in there! LOL I do not see a group of twenty year olds coming into the bar. My two cents!

My take on it is Yamaha isn't going anywhere. The market is smaller so they are adjusting their product mix to the riders they have. I am in my late fifties and when I go into a bar off of the trail, it seems to me I am the youngest in there! LOL I do not see a group of twenty year olds coming into the bar. My two cents!
I definitely agree on the smaller market and feeling like no younger people are getting into the sport!

well I am raising my kids up in the sport and I hope many others are too. its up to us to include them and get them out on the snow. all three of my kids love the sport.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back