• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2020 SR Viper thoughts

I do not like it at all it too much and you can not it in 141 and 1.6 lug

I like 2017 txt 141 1.6 lug best sled I have had

I think the Gen. 2 Viper is really nice, but pretty limited on track choice. An XTX model would have been nice.

Yea its tough. Who would want the old plastic now? Viper/7000 is in a class by itself. More power than Doo 900 and less than all the Turbos. If a guy wants 4st and not the Turbo complexity. I am sure they will introduce longer tracks sooner or later but I bet not till all the old stock is gone. I would imagine thats going to require some big discounts since we all seem to agree the new plastic and controls is better.

600 Switchback® Assault®
Starting at $13,599 CA MSRP
For ba
ckcountry riders looking for a sled to offer on-trail confidence and off-trail agility - plus the reliable performance, easy starting, instant acceleration, and great response of the 600 Cleanfire®engine.

800 Switchback® Assault®
Starting at $14,599 CA MSRP
For backcountry riders that demand on-trail confidence and off-trail agility - plus the "Proven Polaris® Benchmark" of the 800 H.O. Cleanfire® engine.

850 Switchback® Assault®
Starting at $15,299 CA MSRP

The SnowCheck-Exclusive 850 Switchback® Assault® - powered by the all-new Polaris® 850 Patriot™ engine - is for aggressive backcountry riders that demand off-trail agility and on-trail confidence.

Not saying these are more reliable or better in any way, just stating that the viper LTX is $15599 and is more comparable to a 600cc sled. That is what a consumer is seeing when they look or ride one. 125hp sled for $15599 or 160hp for $15K. Polaris is giving 4 years on the engines now too.
A Few things related to your comparisons and what you are saying about Viper HP.
Ski-doo and Polaris, have gone to more of a Car pricing model.... meaning starting price does not mean much... soon as you start adding color ...etc..to match what you are already getting with a Yamaha GT , you will be surprised , at say the cost of a Switchback Assault.... I have used Polaris Sled build tool , so I have been thru it before ... and when you get done ... its like ouch!!! I have done some pricing shopping for Viper GT and have found that I can get at least 1,000 Us dollars off the list .. I am sure as I continue to shop can get even better then that ...

Also, not sure where you are getting the 125hp number from, last time I check which is before the performance ECU improvements , HP was 135hp, they have not release any numbers associated to the hp and power improvements for 2020 1049 yet but , that number should go up....

A Few things related to your comparisons and what you are saying about Viper HP.
Ski-doo and Polaris, have gone to more of a Car pricing model.... meaning starting price does not mean much... soon as you start adding color ...etc..to match what you are already getting with a Yamaha GT , you will be surprised , at say the cost of a Switchback Assault.... I have used Polaris Sled build tool , so I have been thru it before ... and when you get done ... its like ouch!!! I have done some pricing shopping for Viper GT and have found that I can get at least 1,000 Us dollars off the list .. I am sure as I continue to shop can get even better then that ...

Also, not sure where you are getting the 125hp number from, last time I check which is before the performance ECU improvements , HP was 135hp, they have not release any numbers associated to the hp and power improvements for 2020 1049 yet but , that number should go up....

This is spot on. I've said it at least 100 times on here, but will say it again. I would put my Viper up against any stock 600 on the market and not worry a bit. As a bonus, when the other 600s are on their 3rd engine I will still be changing oil once a year, pulling away from their new engine, and laughing like a fool. Dollar for dollar you can't come out ahead with the others.

Also, not sure where you are getting the 125hp number from, last time I check which is before the performance ECU improvements , HP was 135hp,

VIPERS/7000 Cats were never at their reported hp rating. Any honest dealer will verify this, mine did. The latest increase may get them close to a Nitro in hp.

It seems with these last changes that Yamaha has made - updated cowling, better ecu; the viper is now the sled it could have been years ago. If there was a year to get one I would have to say 2020 would be it.

This is the only 4st 130hp class sled right now. Cant believe no other oem is fitting a sled into this slot.

Still have no interest in 2st, the 900 ace is just too light in the hp and the turbo sleds are great but do add the complexity of another system to keep an eye on.

MS

It seems with these last changes that Yamaha has made - updated cowling, better ecu; the viper is now the sled it could have been years ago. If there was a year to get one I would have to say 2020 would be it.

This is the only 4st 130hp class sled right now. Cant believe no other oem is fitting a sled into this slot.

Still have no interest in 2st, the 900 ace is just too light in the hp and the turbo sleds are great but do add the complexity of another system to keep an eye on.

MS
One thing I would say too regarding 900 Ace, you may not like the Throttle by wire , this is based on first hand experience, throttle placement and no tension in lever, in my opinion make it boarder line dangerous , I have crashed 3 times on a 900 Ace, all related to the Throttle by Wire ... I personally just could not get use to it, others may, but my personal experience , tells me I need to stay off that sled... :)

One thing I would say too regarding 900 Ace, you may not like the Throttle by wire , this is based on first hand experience, throttle placement and no tension in lever, in my opinion make it boarder line dangerous , I have crashed 3 times on a 900 Ace, all related to the Throttle by Wire ... I personally just could not get use to it, others may, but my personal experience , tells me I need to stay off that sled... :)
In what way did it cause you crash 3 times?

here's a thought ……. The 2020 Viper LTX is clearly the best of the breed the ultimate evolution of what the sled really should have been to begin with. This is not a new thing from Yamaha its a trend here's some examples.
Yamaha Exciter (pogo stick version) was also affectionally known as the Yamaha Exploder for its frequent melt downs BUT the 93 SX version was the very best of the bunch and terrific sled, it was also the last of it's type replaced by the VMAX series.
The first SRX pogo was a disaster and evolved into the Vmax 540 which at the end was pretty good.
The Vmax 4 was Meh at introduction but evolved by 96 to be very fast reliable and comfortable
The Vmax 500/600 where fairly competitive at introduction but lacked a good rear suspension until 96 the last year of production.
The very best trailing arm Viper ? the 04 Viper S with Ohlins, also lst year of production.
The point is all of the sled listed finally measured up to expectations at the end of their run the last year of production and where immediately followed by a completely new design...…. so here's to hoping 2021 continues the trend

here's a thought ……. The 2020 Viper LTX is clearly the best of the breed the ultimate evolution of what the sled really should have been to begin with. This is not a new thing from Yamaha its a trend here's some examples.
Yamaha Exciter (pogo stick version) was also affectionally known as the Yamaha Exploder for its frequent melt downs BUT the 93 SX version was the very best of the bunch and terrific sled, it was also the last of it's type replaced by the VMAX series.
The first SRX pogo was a disaster and evolved into the Vmax 540 which at the end was pretty good.
The Vmax 4 was Meh at introduction but evolved by 96 to be very fast reliable and comfortable
The Vmax 500/600 where fairly competitive at introduction but lacked a good rear suspension until 96 the last year of production.
The very best trailing arm Viper ? the 04 Viper S with Ohlins, also lst year of production.
The point is all of the sled listed finally measured up to expectations at the end of their run the last year of production and where immediately followed by a completely new design...…. so here's to hoping 2021 continues the trend
It surely does look like the continuation of that pattern!

I really like the GT series, especially that you can purchase it in season! If I was buying, at first I wanted the Sidewinder version. However the more I think about it, being 60, this Viper GT would probably the ticket seeing I'm riding a Nytro now!

In what way did it cause you crash 3 times?
All three times had to do with throttle tension + location , and hitting section of rough trail , with that trying to get your hand out of way of throttle under those conditions , and unlike a throttle with tension , your mind , at least mind does, has a more instinct reaction when there s pressure on the throttle vs when there is not to release ... what further complicates it location of the Throttle... My Son on the other hand does not seem to have a problem with it , but he does not ride as aggressive as I do ... and he is new to riding some he does not have the years and years of a Typical throttle resistance like I do ... I sincerely tried to get use to it , but I just have not been able to at least riding aggressively and hitting some rough stuff

When I bought my 2018 Viper in July 2018, I saved $3500 off a 2018 Viper in the similar spec (only difference being a 137 vs. 129 in track). I paid $8900 for my leftover 2018 plus tax. If I was going to spending in the 12-14K range on a snowmobile it would have a turbo on it. The 900 Turbo has caught my eye from Ski-Doo, which my dad is on the list for a 900 Turbo X package. He likes the electric throttle. It definitely takes some getting used to whenever I rode his 900 Ace from time to time.

Back