• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2021 Release?

Status
Not open for further replies.

2020 Venture. Pure Japanese. Long live Yamaha. Whatever happens in 2021, be happy we are all still alive and kicking!

Attachments

• 20191207_211936.jpg
    20191207_211936.jpg
    195.6 KB · Views: 122
I am sure it's a good motor, probably not the potential of the 1200 if they had continued to develop that one but we have all heard the history there with some royalties going to Petronas. The 900 is totally BRP and not a joint effort the way I understand it. That being said I ran into a guy in the UP with a brand new 900T Renegade outside of Vansville Bar last month. He was with a group of Ski Doo riders. I walked up to him and asked how he liked it. There was a lot of humming, groaning...mumbling. He said "it sure doesn't go the way I expected it to". I asked what he meant. He said his buddies new 850 E-Tec kicks it's azz. I followed with...hmm the reports were that it was a bit quicker/faster stock for stock. He said nope.....then proceeded to tell me he had it flashed to 200HP and the 850 still takes him. All I said is, "sure sounds like something isn't right with it".

He also mentioned the hesitation it has which I keep hearing about.....wireless throttle.

Before my buddy bought a 900t, he was on an 850. Same thing, stopped for fuel saw a guy on a new 900t. Walked over and talked with him about. Long story short was that he wasn’t very impressed with the power. My buddy bought one anyways and says it’s ok, But it’s not like his 850 power.
Myself personally, I’m not a speed/power junkie like some on here, so I’ll stick with my vipers. I try the sidewinders here and there, and while they have incredible power, I have to remind myself that kind of power just isn’t needed for the trail riding I do. The power of the winder motor is just flat out sweet!
I still need to try my buddies 900t so I can compare for myself. But I know when he says it’s “alright” it means it’s nothing special...

Yamaha might not have a leg up on the competition on 4-stroke forever.

There is only 3 that can compete with Yamaha as far as building competitive 4 stroke motors. That would be Honda,Suzuki,and Kawi. I'm sure KTM could do it but anything they make cost a small fortune. BRP and Polaris can't compete in that category that's why they put a turbo on all there SXS can't make 180 hp with a n/a motor. It's easy to build a motor to make power with boost try and do it with out.

There is only 3 that can compete with Yamaha as far as building competitive 4 stroke motors. That would be Honda,Suzuki,and Kawi. I'm sure KTM could do it but anything they make cost a small fortune. BRP and Polaris can't compete in that category that's why they put a turbo on all there SXS can't make 180 hp with a n/a motor. It's easy to build a motor to make power with boost try and do it with out.
When BMW came out with their first ever one liter sport bike, it had substantially more power(about 20) than any of the Jap four at the time.

Was un aware of that thanks for correcting me but I don't see a lot of BMW'S wining at the super bike levels.

Sorry but if you think "Rotax" built just 1 version of their 900 motor your just wrong. Different internals to allow higher HP configurations while allowing them to use the same base across different platforms... just good business sense. How much HP do they want.... and then build accordingly.

Sorry but if you think "Rotax" built just 1 version of their 900 motor your just wrong. Different internals to allow higher HP configurations while allowing them to use the same base across different platforms... just good business sense. How much HP do they want.... and then build accordingly.

yes I read that they did beef up the internals of the 900T version. They would have to do some other things though to get it in the HP ranges of a SW. the blower and the injectors are too small for one thing. Let’s not forget it’s 100 cc’s smaller and it’s base N/A hp levels are less. I am still wondering why BRP left this at 900cc and not 1000cc. My guess is they developed it for the ACE snowmobile first and decided to use in the SxS later...then the Turbo sled? Looking at Polaris the Razer was 900 but now 1000cc’s. Seems like 1000 is the sweet spot for both applications “wheelers and sleds”.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back