• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2021 Release?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since I have nothing better to do on a Friday night after a 300 mile commute. I say that because I am so busy with work I can’t go riding and the season is closing fast. So sorry about the whining. I will speculate about electric sleds. Maybe in the future. They will come up with a regenerative system. Charging while on the flipper and off the flipper. Engine braking? Could be a hydraulic pump Lol or a generator, Stator. Who knows. Technology is changing fast. My 2 cents.

Last edited:

Going down the "Electric Avenue"...??

If YAMAHA would release an electric snowmobile, it would be without doubt, on the same surprise level as when they released the RX-1 in 2002!
Still remember that moment, when I could see it in person and hear it running!
And I didn't see that machine coming... nor do I see a electric powered YAMAHA snowmobile coming either for 2021.
But I'm sure there will be electric snowmobiles from the blue camp in future, but first I think the manufacturers want to see how this start-up company TAIGA is doing, before they jump on that bandwagon (hey, snowmobilers in my mind are a bit conservative, but I've been wrong before...)

With that said, I find it intriguing that I just read in some car-news in February, that YAMAHA has developed a wide range of high-performance electric motors for car industry, and has also started to take orders...
One thing that makes batteries and snowmobiles incompatible is the cold. With the current tech batteries as used in electric vehicles like cars, even they lose range in the Winter. You don't hear about that because the manufacturers don't want to talk about it or reveal a weakness of the vehicle when they are pushing them so hard as the thing thats going to save our planet.

Since I have nothing better to do on a Friday nite after a 300 mile commute. I will speculate about electric sleds. Maybe in the future. They will come up with a regenerative system. Charging while on the flipper and off the flipper. Engine braking? Could be a hydraulic pump Lol or a generator, Stator. Who knows. Technology is changing fast. My 2 cents.
One thing that makes batteries and snowmobiles incompatible is the cold. With the current tech batteries as used in electric vehicles like cars, even they lose range in the Winter. You don't hear about that because the manufacturers don't want to talk about it or reveal a weakness of the vehicle when they are pushing them so hard as the thing thats going to save our planet.

I forgot to mention you better put baseball cards in the bogie wheel spokes. So you can hear them coming. Lol! Your right about the cold. In the winter every time I pull a cordless tool out of my van. I have trouble with it until it warms up. Especially the newer ones. The trusty old 18 volt. Seem to do better.

On a another subject but related. I installed a new Alignment Rack and Alignment Machine. 2 weeks ago at a Volkswagen dealer. I went to the parts counter for a air coupler fitting. While waiting at the counter I noticed they had stick on block heaters hanging on the wall. For Volkswagen Diesels.
Do you think if I wrapped one of these around my oil tank it would be enough to start these bad boys below - 5 degrees F ? Thinking ahead for next year. Or should I find one that’s fits on the block?

Last edited:
They say range us cut in about half at -10 celcius

On a another subject but related. I installed a new Alignment Rack and Alignment Machine. 2 weeks ago at a Volkswagen dealer. I went to the parts counter for a air coupler fitting. While waiting at the counter I noticed they had stick on block heaters hanging on the wall. For Volkswagen Diesels.
Do you think if I wrapped one of these around my oil tank it would be enough to start these bad boys below - 5 degrees F ? Thinking ahead for next year. Or should I find one that’s fits on the block?
I installed one of these on my Apex a few years back. It was 110 watts and stuck on the oil tank with 3m tape and some sort of activator/sealer. I used it once at -38c and the oil tank was warm to the touch, sled started and didn’t rattle like a diesel. I bought it at an auto parts store and it was universal fit, they also had 50 watt units.

I installed one of these on my Apex a few years back. It was 110 watts and stuck on the oil tank with 3m tape and some sort of activator/sealer. I used it once at -38c and the oil tank was warm to the touch, sled started and didn’t rattle like a diesel. I bought it at an auto parts store and it was universal fit, they also had 50 watt units.
Thanks for the reply. Now I know I am on the right track. I spotted these on the shelf and thought stick and play. Or plug and play!

Kept my Apex parked outside by the front door always started -15ish F running M1 0/30. I didn’t ride much colder than -15 waited for a warm up. I don’t think you need a block heater.

We must remember that companies are based on their fleet of vehicles and get "Credit Points" for good emission vehicles.
So an electric snowmobile makes sense although impractical at this time.
Some places may stop riding for noise & pollution reasons.
Yellowstone is one & there is talk of some mountain ranges looking to cut off snowmobiles because of NOISE. An electric sled would put a monkey wrench in the Tree Huggers' throat.

Also, a big company like Yamaha needs to be on the cutting edge to keep up with the future.
An electric snowmobile would be a great test vehicle to improve cold weather battery life which has doubled in just the last 2 years. The Military is constantly looking for quiet stealthy power sources.

Look at Tesla. Even Street Racers are seeing how nasty fast & quick these things are getting. Go on YouTube & watch a stock Tesla beating up on Blown Big Blocks on the street & track.

I'm not saying an electric snowmobile is something ANY of us want.
I'm saying a big corporation is STUPID NOT to embrace the future & it's technologies.

Heck, i went from from a tuned Sidewinder to a 600. I may be on a SnoScoot next. Maybe i'll finish off my riding career when i'm 100 on an electric sled.

P.S: I'm still thinking at 95 on a SnoScoot i'd still kick some AZZ.

Like I wrote yesterday, I feel an electric sled from YAMAHA is a bit too early for 2021.
I'm sure it will come someday, but I have the last 15 years been thinking that motorcycles will be electric before sleds...and that has still not really taken off.
Instead the car-industy have really embraced the electric mobility.

But, I think it's very intresting that YAMAHA obviously is spending development-money on high-performance electric motors!
Who knows, maybe YAMAHA feel that it is no point trying to beat the other makers with petrol-engines, instead they will try to "fork" out a new nisch in the sled market?!
And when it comes to sleds, YAMAHA has always been doing things a bit diffrent than the others (call it the japanese-way, or autistic if you want), so maybe a Blast with a 80 hp electric motor is coming??

(to keep things on ground, I guess a Blast with Cat-engine and YAMAHA-graphics makes more sense on Monday...)

This tech is improving for sure, but most snowmobiling area's and trails are set up for gas refueling so this concept has a way to go for trail riders, 131 km on a charge is good that's about 75 miles, so 37 miles one way 37 back to charging station in perfect conditions, I guess resorts and eco sensitive area's would be their market for now, when this company reaches the 200 mile at 3/4 to full throttle on a single charge trail riders would consider one, nothing makes big power and torque quicker like a electric motor, the sport model is pushing 180hp fully charged.
Range is the big issue.

Well, if Rotax just demoed a hydrogen fuel cell powered sled, it stands to reason that Yamaha has made some type of evaluation of alternative power sources.

My money is still on the big change for 21 being a Blast with tuning fork logos, Yamaha clutches, maybe a Yamaha ECU, and 20% higher price. I don't think that Yamaha is quite ready to drop their next big move until 22 or so? But most of us being wrong most of the time, who knows.

Stopped at a local dealer today for any hints. Nothing.

Where are people coming up with 3-9-20 for a 2021 Yamaha sled release? There is nothing on Yamaha's website.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back