• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2022... disappointed!

The title of this thread, "2022...disappointed" is actually pretty ironic right now. I suppose that most of us had some degree of disappointment, wanting fixes for known issues, or we wanted different colors, or we wanted more 2-strokes in the line-up, or we wanted Japan built sleds, etc. etc., but the reality is that Yamaha's ultimate goal is to sell its product. Presumably, the best possible result for Yamaha would be for them to sell all their 2022 sleds quickly. Here we are in the middle of April 2021, and they are already well on the way to doing that. Thinking about ordering an SRX, nope, not this year, all sold out. How about an XTX LE, uh uh, that ship has sailed. How about my choice, the GT LTX EPS, yep available for the moment, but stock is so low the only way you will be guaranteed to get one is to spring order it.

While we may harbor our disappointments with the 2022 lineup, it is apparently a big hit with the buying public, and the only sleds that are not selling out are............wait for it..............the 2-strokes!
perfectly summed up. Joe

The title of this thread, "2022...disappointed" is actually pretty ironic right now. I suppose that most of us had some degree of disappointment, wanting fixes for known issues, or we wanted different colors, or we wanted more 2-strokes in the line-up, or we wanted Japan built sleds, etc. etc., but the reality is that Yamaha's ultimate goal is to sell its product. Presumably, the best possible result for Yamaha would be for them to sell all their 2022 sleds quickly. Here we are in the middle of April 2021, and they are already well on the way to doing that. Thinking about ordering an SRX, nope, not this year, all sold out. How about an XTX LE, uh uh, that ship has sailed. How about my choice, the GT LTX EPS, yep available for the moment, but stock is so low the only way you will be guaranteed to get one is to spring order it.

While we may harbor our disappointments with the 2022 lineup, it is apparently a big hit with the buying public, and the only sleds that are not selling out are............wait for it..............the 2-strokes!

The problem is the not enough four stroke engines and clutches from Japan.

Agree 100% regarding the 2 stroke comment. Yamaha needs to get with the program and see that 2 strokes are selling like wild fire still....and always will.
I love my 1049 but when my wife is not with me (boys trip) I take her ZR6000 for the light weight and the snappy 2 stroke C-Tec 2 engine

4500kms on my Sidewinder Gt this year
Just finished complete end of season service
Factory belt still in place only .005 wear from new
No clutch issues
No chain case gear issue or loose tensioner screws
No driveshaft bearing wear
No trips to the Dealer
Stryke ski works and stock carbides are good for another season
Sled is stock no studs
All high speed riding Northern Ontario

After 100,000+ Kms on Apex sleds I am impressed. The Apex served its purpose now its time to move on. If the winder isn’t ultimately as reliable so be it. The handling, quiet and power is worth it.

Never had a problem with primary clutch, body panels, driveshaft, silicone(?) or belts.
I did replace my skis, the same skis that came on the Apex.....
I also forgot exhaust doughnuts, drive shafts, complete skid, skis, handle bars, handwarmer booster, thumb warmer booster, flex pipes, seats, radiator brackets, oil tanks, ear plugs and chiropractor bills for the DB

Whats your point??? That no sleds are perfect?? I agree
This. The sled is very reliable. I do not understand people's aversion to the sled for the known issues when there are solid fixes out there, and easily done. If I added up all the hours of work on my Apex vs the sidewinder, the Apex has it beat by a mile. The exhaust donuts alone is such a project, and even with copper donuts it was not a forever fix. Replacing the front bushings is a major project. Replacing the rear exhaust after the flex pipes is a major repair, and the list goes on and on. The drone alone is enough the kill ya. Get the sidewinder, do the upgrades in the chaincase on the first service at 500 miles, put in the driveshaft wedge at 50 ft/lbs and ride on and enjoy.

This. The sled is very reliable. I do not understand people's aversion to the sled for the known issues when there are solid fixes out there, and easily done. If I added up all the hours of work on my Apex vs the sidewinder, the Apex has it beat by a mile. The exhaust donuts alone is such a project, and even with copper donuts it was not a forever fix. Replacing the front bushings is a major project. Replacing the rear exhaust after the flex pipes is a major repair, and the list goes on and on. The drone alone is enough the kill ya. Get the sidewinder, do the upgrades in the chaincase on the first service at 500 miles, put in the driveshaft wedge at 50 ft/lbs and ride on and enjoy.
This is where I’m at. Loved the handling and ride of the Sidewinder in 2017, drove a friends sled. But after the first year the sled from Hell appeared. He experienced every issue known to the Sidewinder, I personally towed him home twice. His was the lemon but soured me on the Sidewinder.
Fast foreword to 2021, Local Yamaha mechanic tells me they just aren’t seeing many issues this year.
2022 Release, Disappointed? Well sure we all didn’t get our Dream Sled.
I ordered a SRX anyway, love the colour love the suspension package , Really glad I did as Most of the Sidewinder sleds are now Sold Out!
This is the New Covid reality, supplier are limited as to what they can produce.
And yes my Apex wasn’t perfect, but ALMOST . I’m keeping the old girl.

While your long term loyalty to the Japan built sleds is admirable, with all due respect, I have to question your statement that the only thing the Sidewinder has is "speed". I admit that in comparison I am a relative newcomer to Yamaha sleds, but I had 5 different Japan built Yamahas between 2007 and 2013. I bought my first Viper in 2015, and since then, I have bought 5 different Vipers and Sidewinders for myself and my family (I have spring ordered the 6th for my wife because it has power steering!)

No doubt, the Japan built sleds have the edge on fit and finish, and quality of components, but in comparison with the old DB sleds, the Vipers and Sidewinders handle better; their riding position is much more comfortable; their suspensions are a generation or two ahead; and despite the poor quality of some of the components, they have had fewer trips back to the dealer than my Japan built sleds did with comparable miles. Yes, the Sidewinder has "speed", that is undeniable, but it also has excellent handling and comfort in comparison with any other Yamaha sled I have ever ridden.
this response is accurate and very diplomatic .

accurate and very diplomatic !

Ok to let everybody know I jumped off the fence on Friday and put a deposit down on a SW LTX GT PS. Here we go! Life is to short not to take a chance!

:dead:
Or you totally disagree....
The Cat merger saved the Yamaha sled division.
If not for the Pro-Cross with Yamaha stickers I would have been done with Yamaha in 2013. I was so over their chassis by that time I was ready to move on. I had a 2005 RX, 2005 Rage and 2012 Apex. My back thanked me for buying a Viper in 2014.
Really Since 2003 you have been buying Yamaha for the motor, NO ONE bought them for the suspensions. Delta Box sleds have more suspension swaps done to them than any other sled made. Ski-Doo suspensions, ZX-2's, Expert-X's, M-10's, Polaris s and Cat skids plus more have all found their way into Yamaha chassis. Not to mention seat swaps....
But wait, the "build quality" was the best!!!! Who cares if the sled is not enjoyable to ride. How is changing a gear bushing any worse than having to replace a whole skid?
Ride whatever you want, I'll take my Sidewinder over any sled built today....

Since the 80’s my family and I have been buying Yamaha’s for the engine. We need them for transportation and not just Sunday drives on groomed trails nor for reaching the mountain peeks. I’ll be the first to admit that other sleds are more capable. In fact, my father for example has owned VK’s since the late 90’s and is on his 2nd VK pro as he thought it best to trade the first one in at 44,000 just in case. Now he breaks trails and hauls logs with it, it can tow the devil but $&@“ does it get stuck in deep snow easy. Ski-Doo’s SWT can effortlessly go in reverse through willow beds where the VK can’t go in forward but is he about to change his brand? No. Because, like myself, I need the bullet proof reliability that I’ve only experienced in owning Yamaha and not just snowmobiles. I have Yamaha boats, personnel watercrafts, outboards, Motorcycles, dirt bikes, 4 wheelers. Also, I can’t afford to go out and get a new sled every 3 or 4 seasons like I know BRP, Cat and Polaris owners need to once that nervousness comes along for the ride once warranty is gone. I have 95’ Vmax4’s that I put higher trust in than any new sled of the other big 3 on the snow. I realize Yamaha doesn’t need the snowmobile market. Hell I bet they could scratch off atv’s too and Outboards would keep them well afloat by the way they dominate that market. But if they are going, then go. If they’ve lost that much interest to let what was once such a fine fit and finished machine become what feels like a cheap China brand from Arctic Cat then leave well enough alone. I know my dated Yamaha chassis doesn’t ride like a Winder or Viper. But I know like the rest of my 22 Yamaha’s. It won’t see the inside of my local dealers mechanics shop because it’s Japanese from front bumper to tow hitch. I for one am holding out to see if they do indeed make sleds again in their entirety and I can hold out for about 100,000 on the odometer I’m willing to bet.
You are right in the joint venture saving Yamaha (if they wanted to be saved) snowmobiles. I am down to the last person I know (besides my family) who is still riding Yamaha’s. My most die hearted Yamaha fan friends have all traded in the tuning fork for BRP’s. Even the ones who swore they would never. But having the same options since 2003 gets old fast and some of us have spent way to many years bashing brands like Artic Cat to sit on one today. Powered by a Yami or not.
As great as they ride, your winder etc. Just imagine if Yamaha was in the mood to compete and develop a new chassis from ground up? You know it would be better.

I agree i will keep driving my apex until Yamaha start to care and just quit put stickers on on someone else 's stuff that all also includes all the dumb looking FXR jackets that they just put a yamaha logo on they have gotten LAZY.

don’t get me started on wanting a new FXR Yamaha suit but can’t because of the dumb pajama colours these days.

I mean in the 60’s there was upwards to 300+ snowmobile manufacturers. Every company that had a shop tried getting into the snowmobile market and there were about 5-6 engine providers for these 100’s of different makes, models and manufacturers. But that was ages ago. In 2020 or 2021 you wouldn’t think this would be a thing even. Granted I know someone could get all technical with me here and “oh but Yamaha outboards are made from Ford engine blocks” blah blah blah but this is different. They’ve been a leader in so many aspects of recreational toys and to now just be putting their name and badge on someone else’s stuff just pisses me off. Especially when they start to act like they are engineered and designed by themselves. Like the Transporter video showcased next to the Bravo. How they wanted to incorporate the simplicity of the original Transporter, really? You sure? Was it that or was it something Arctic Cat came out with called a “Blast” and they made some for you too just in different colours.

Just imagine if Yamaha was in the mood to compete and develop a new chassis from ground up? You know it would be better.
I agree but when have they ever done that? They have NEVER been a leader in suspension design for snowmobiles. They could, but they dont and never have.
I am not going to sit around on old iron and wait for that day.
Here we go! Life is to short not to take a chance!
This is the attitude!!!!! You dont know until you try.

Fro 1 forget it Yamacats are here to stay get used to it. Textron closes the agreement and Yamaha will be done for sure. I have accepted Yamacats are the present and future for Yamaha snowmobile division making money and putting in little effort to make money. Yamaha should develop a kick #*$&@ 2s snowmobile engine sell it to Textron offer Yamacats with Yamaha 2s as well. Other than a kickass injected 2s I don’t see a biz opportunity for Yamaha in snowmobiles.

Fro 1 forget it Yamacats are here to stay get used to it. Textron closes the agreement and Yamaha will be done for sure. I have accepted Yamacats are the present and future for Yamaha snowmobile division making money and putting in little effort to make money. Yamaha should develop a kick #*$&@ 2s snowmobile engine sell it to Textron offer Yamacats with Yamaha 2s as well. Other than a kickass injected 2s I don’t see a biz opportunity for Yamaha in snowmobiles.

Would rather see them stop with snowmobiles all together, that I could eventually get over sooner than accepting the idea of riding a Cat. I would just buy a couple late model sleds that they still make and shelve them until my current wears out. I don’t know what’s keeping them in the industry. It was rumoured years ago, long before this contract agreement that they were going to get out of the snowmobile market.
I’d like to see the same thing that happened with Yamaha Snowblowers happen with their sleds.

Back