• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2022... disappointed!

Not so much they don't care they don't need to be the number one sled manufacturer they will do what they think needs to be done. You should be happy they are still even involved with snowmobiles period. This is a very small part of Yamaha sales they are not like Polaris that needs to sell a whole bunch of snowmobiles and ATV'S to make ends meet. If you think that a few of you come on this site and bitch about their line up is gonna change anything you have been misinformed. Yamaha's line up in up coming year's is all ready set they know what's gonna be released next year and the year after. I just get a big kick out of all the guys on here waiting for some new big release, not gonna happen. It's just like all the clowns that think Polaris released an all new snowmobile last year, it's the same chassis they been useing for 10 years with new plastic give me a break. It's plain and simple you either deal with what they have to offer or move on to something different preferably a new $20.000.00 Ski Doo Mach Z and I hope I run into ya on the lake next season.
Polaris needs to bring back the storm a mach z killer for sure tripple tripple turbo

Not so much they don't care they don't need to be the number one sled manufacturer they will do what they think needs to be done. You should be happy they are still even involved with snowmobiles period. This is a very small part of Yamaha sales they are not like Polaris that needs to sell a whole bunch of snowmobiles and ATV'S to make ends meet. If you think that a few of you come on this site and bitch about their line up is gonna change anything you have been misinformed. Yamaha's line up in up coming year's is all ready set they know what's gonna be released next year and the year after. I just get a big kick out of all the guys on here waiting for some new big release, not gonna happen. It's just like all the clowns that think Polaris released an all new snowmobile last year, it's the same chassis they been useing for 10 years with new plastic give me a break. It's plain and simple you either deal with what they have to offer or move on to something different preferably a new $20.000.00 Ski Doo Mach Z and I hope I run into ya on the lake next season.
Yes meet you on the lake with my 2018 Sidewinder. You have a point, but we have a point also. Yamaha had the best quality and still do but have allowed too much Artic Cat into the build. After a few years and thank goodness for extended warranty, I will not give up my Side winder for a long time. I had the RX1 with 26000km, Nytro with 28000km. Several years ago Yamaha said they were coming out with something new or exciting or however they put it, but never did. That is why I have added a Polaris to the camp because I got tired of waiting, and wanted a fun sled to play with in deep snow. I just hope that once in while, they follow some forums and at least build one model of pure Yamaha. Still love Yamaha, just disappointed.

Nice,thats interesting and good to see.Its a great lineup and nicest looking sleds on snow imo.I only wish it was a Yamaha two stroke in that Mountain Max and a couple other models.Im sorry I had to be that guy but it would be so nice to have a reliable direct injected two stroke option for everyone.I think Yamaha is the only manufacturer who could deliver this engine.
I agree! We can use the ascender chassis from cat but it sure would be cool to have a Yamaha 2 stroke under the hood. I honestly think they would see pretty great too.

Uhmm Yamaha does come on here and reads your complaints for awhile. Yamaha did a survey on here about what skis people are using. Last year Yamaha introduced a new ski on the Winders. That was much needed IMO.

I really don't know how much longer the AC/Yamaha relationship is going to last. Starting in 2021 no more Viper engine in a Cat. 2022 only 1 Cat again with a Yamaha engine and it is reserved for only 1 model, the Thundercat. No ZR 9000 or any other model with the 998. You really think AC "really" needs Yamaha when Yamaha only give them 1 engine in 1 model of sled? I think this is gonna end REAL soon!

Here's what irks me for 2022MY. AC put money engineering a new clutch and the EPS. Yam nothing towards engineering this year. If they did any updates they should advertise it. Instead of simply reminding us they where first with EPS in quads/sleds and now with a 3lbs lighter EPS that's not theirs...

Only reason I let myself post this is because I might buy one anyway. lol

Last edited:
If there was an all new yam-cat chassis for 2022, would anyone even trust it? It isn't like either manufacturer has done a great job at launching new products. 1999 Cats, lots of updates were required when their triples and that 700 twin moved to the the new chassis. 2003 Firecats, recalls and updates. 2004 DD issues on the 900. 2007 twin spars had some problems, 2012 PC sleds were a disaster overall. 2008 Nitro, 2003 RX1, mega float, single shot, etc. Hopefully they are taking their time to develop something together and are not rushing a product to market.

The Pro Cross was around long before the Winder engine, when Yamaha became part of the equation with Cat they basically shoe horned the Winder engine and Viper engine in the Pro Cross chassis, it just can't handle the torque from Yamaha engines, if Cat /Yamaha actually would make a chassis to house the Winder/ Viper engine properly with alot of Yamaha input I think a lot of the issues would be addressed and you would have the 20 grand plus sled you are paying for which should be trouble free and handle and perform like nothing on the planet, this is when I would become interested, as for now your basically getting a shiny Rat rod and paying big bucks for it, no matter the color scheme, shock package, Skis upgrade, power steering are all gimmicks to get you to pay a premium price for a jury rigged rat rod sled, Yamaha I believe knows what has to be done here but have been sucked in by Cat/Textron's practices and have little to no say anymore, they are driven by bean counters now which have sucked the pride out of Yamaha sled products line that we are all known to have and had, Jaret made the comment in a teaser Vid that Apex and Vector die hard would be attracted to this new line up? why would we? Really nothing has changed but the price of them.

I agree! We can use the ascender chassis from cat but it sure would be cool to have a Yamaha 2 stroke under the hood. I honestly think they would see pretty great too.
Notice Yamaha has such little faith in the AC 2s they only offer extended warranty on the Winder, none of the AC two strokes.

... shoe horned the Winder engine and Viper engine in the Pro Cross chassis, it just can't handle the torque from Yamaha engines...

Lots of boosted Suzuki engines in the Pro Cross before that making similar HP.

Here's what irks me for 2022MY. AC put money engineering a new clutch and the EPS. Yam nothing towards engineering this year. If they did any updates they should advertise it. Instead of simply reminding us they where first with EPS in quads/sleds and now with a 3lbs lighter EPS that's not theirs...

Only reason I let myself post this is because I might buy one anyway. lol
What makes you think AC is responsible for the EPS, I think that would be all Yamahas doing, they may even hold the patent. AC don't have the engineering team to come up with this, hell they had to steal the rear skid from Skidoo.

Lots of boosted Suzuki engines in the Pro Cross before that making similar HP.
Suzuki was a twin and fitted the pro cross better, almost designed to fit the chassis, Cat was having problems back then with the torque with the Z1 T engine in the Chassis, you see how much they cared to fix it.

I think at the end of the day it’s pretty simple- Yamaha executives have figured out they can make more money as an engine supplier with a faster payback vs. investing and developing their own in-house snowmobiles.

If you want a YamCat, go for it. It’s a nice machine, but not their best effort- there’s no arguing that. I’m a 4s guy so there aren’t many choices out there. No interest in a 2s snowmobile. Will continue to pilot my ‘11 Apex xtx. And will look to a 900T as a second machine.

Did Cat partner with Atari in the 80s for the display? Come on.

I think at the end of the day it’s pretty simple- Yamaha executives have figured out they can make more money as an engine supplier with a faster payback vs. investing and developing their own in-house snowmobiles.

If you want a YamCat, go for it. It’s a nice machine, but not their best effort- there’s no arguing that. I’m a 4s guy so there aren’t many choices out there. No interest in a 2s snowmobile. Will continue to pilot my ‘11 Apex xtx. And will look to a 900T as a second machine.

Did Cat partner with Atari in the 80s for the display? Come on.
The display cost 35 cents out of China.

Back