• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2022... disappointed!

What makes you think AC is responsible for the EPS, I think that would be all Yamahas doing, they may even hold the patent. AC don't have the engineering team to come up with this, hell they had to steal the rear skid from Skidoo.

I agree as it seems the other way around. But patents have an expiry date and/or they made it part of their licensing agreement to use a EPS system. Who knows. But the facts are here on what Cat is using. Read the interview with Ben Langaas:
http://www.arcticinsider.com/Article/An-Inside-Look-at-2022-Thundercat

Last edited:

And it is STILL easier to read than the new offerings from ski doo and polaris.
I thought the new 7" display from Polaris was pretty cool, didn't think there was problems seeing it.

So after reading the above article, is the Winder using an AC EPS or a Yamaha EPS. If it is a AC EPS, wonder about the reliability of the AC one? We all know how AC has done with their engineering. Yamaha has had zero issues with their EPS.

I thought the new 7" display from Polaris was pretty cool, didn't think there was problems seeing it.
Try reading it at speed.
Guy at work has a VR-1 and says the gauge upgrade he paid for was big waste of money . Hates the GPS, would rather use a Garmin, and says Ride-share sucks.
He is trading for an SRX.

Try reading it at speed.
Guy at work has a VR-1 and says the gauge upgrade he paid for was big waste of money . Hates the GPS, would rather use a Garmin, and says Ride-share sucks.
He is trading for an SRX.
Well that sucks, I thought they would be good colored and all, not really a big fan of the led gauges they seem to have glitches in the cold, not sure if the Winder/Viper has these problems, most sleds are using them now, your buddy at work is going to get a power eye opener on the SRX.

I let him borrow my RTX yesterday set at 270hp. It put him over the edge as far as trading UP to a Sidewinder

I really don't know how much longer the AC/Yamaha relationship is going to last. Starting in 2021 no more Viper engine in a Cat. 2022 only 1 Cat again with a Yamaha engine and it is reserved for only 1 model, the Thundercat. No ZR 9000 or any other model with the 998. You really think AC "really" needs Yamaha when Yamaha only give them 1 engine in 1 model of sled? I think this is gonna end REAL soon!
I don't think so. It's most of Yamaha's lineup.

I let him borrow my RTX yesterday set at 270hp. It put him over the edge as far as trading UP to a Sidewinder
270hp.. I'm sure it would straighten out the wrinkles in his face, lol

Long time Yamaha owner here. Currently have a 2017 Winder that I love and will hold on to for a while. Nothing in 2022 lineup makes me want to go out and get another Yamaha. I was really hoping for a 800 - 900 2 stroke trail and or crossover sled like all the other manufacturers have. I guess it is a Polaris Assault for me! Such a shame that Yamaha wont offer this but hey... when they do, maybe I will trade in for it? Until then, I will enjoy my beloved Sidewinder and Polaris, Ski-doo, or Arctic Cat Cross over.... Sigh...
Couldn't the 154 800 be used as a crossover sled?

What makes you think AC is responsible for the EPS, I think that would be all Yamahas doing, they may even hold the patent. AC don't have the engineering team to come up with this, hell they had to steal the rear skid from Skidoo.
I got to agree, I haven't seen who holds the patent but from the released Yamaha video the power steering on the Sidewinder shows how the power steering on the Venture works..more power at slower speeds and less at high speeds...that's Yamaha engineering in my opinion. I applaud Yamaha for giving us EPS...it's needed for some, its face it these sleds are heavy.
on another note, I cant go anywhere with my sled without people wanting to know about it and they wish they had it...dont hear them telling me my Yamaha sucks, quite the opposite. The most common words I hear is "look it's got a 146 track..that's a Cadillac" I mention it's got an added EPS from GSE and even more smiles from the admirers. I actually feel a bit embarrassed because the guys I ride with are not asked about their sleds...seriously, when my sled is in the truck and I stop for gas my STX-GT I always get people come over to ask about it..they tell me what sled they have and wish they had a sled like mine. The color scheme for the 2020 STX was red and it stands out. From what I can tell, Yamaha IS still the sled that allot wish they had.

I got to agree, I haven't seen who holds the patent but from the released Yamaha video the power steering on the Sidewinder shows how the power steering on the Venture works..more power at slower speeds and less at high speeds...that's Yamaha engineering in my opinion. I applaud Yamaha for giving us EPS...it's needed for some, its face it these sleds are heavy.
on another note, I cant go anywhere with my sled without people wanting to know about it and they wish they had it...dont hear them telling me my Yamaha sucks, quite the opposite. The most common words I hear is "look it's got a 146 track..that's a Cadillac" I mention it's got an added EPS from GSE and even more smiles from the admirers. I actually feel a bit embarrassed because the guys I ride with are not asked about their sleds...seriously, when my sled is in the truck and I stop for gas my STX-GT I always get people come over to ask about it..they tell me what sled they have and wish they had a sled like mine. The color scheme for the 2020 STX was red and it stands out. From what I can tell, Yamaha IS still the sled that allot wish they had.

Totally agree about the red. I put a deposit down on some 22's, but really wish they could have been red like the 20's!

Are the dealers in Ontario giving any price breaks on the 2022 Sidewinder orders?

I am a Cat fan but Yamaha needs to break the ties with Cat with respect to engine production. I can't imagine the sales if Yamaha got back into 2 strokes.
A Cat suspension with a Yamaha 2 stoke engine....light weight Yamaha triple 2 stroke trail machine would sell out in a New York minute. I loved my 1997 triple 700 VMax engine but the suspension was a back breaker on the trails. Couple a sweet Yamaha 2 stroke with a sweet suspension and Yamaha would get back in the game right away....Just sayin

I am a Cat fan but Yamaha needs to break the ties with Cat with respect to engine production. I can't imagine the sales if Yamaha got back into 2 strokes.
A Cat suspension with a Yamaha 2 stoke engine....light weight Yamaha triple 2 stroke trail machine would sell out in a New York minute. I loved my 1997 triple 700 VMax engine but the suspension was a back breaker on the trails. Couple a sweet Yamaha 2 stroke with a sweet suspension and Yamaha would get back in the game right away....Just sayin
Can't see the tie breaking. Yamaha is selling a lot of sleds for Cat, and in return Yamaha has the best handling machine they've ever had.
I'm afraid the days of the triple two strokes will only live on in history books. Can't see anyone ever returning to them.

Back