• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

3" super quiet heat shield mod

snowdust

TY 4 Stroke Guru
Country
USA
Snowmobile
Sidewinder
I am changing to the Viney Fab 3" (TD Super quiet) exhaust and am wondering what mods others did to get the heat shield to fit. I modified it for the bung location, but it's still real tight to get it to bolt down. Anybody got a pic of how much they modified theirs?

Viney Fab and TD are not the same .

I’ve installed a few 3 in TD and only had to trim for 02 sensor

I am changing to the Viney Fab 3" (TD Super quiet) exhaust and am wondering what mods others did to get the heat shield to fit. I modified it for the bung location, but it's still real tight to get it to bolt down. Anybody got a pic of how much they modified theirs?

This should help.

Viney Fab and TD are not the same .

I’ve installed a few 3 in TD and only had to trim for 02 sensor
Same magnaflow muffler, viney has better designed inlet and better brackets.

Hmm I know they are not exactly the same but assumed the heat shield would need to be modified the same. It’s tight for the width and if I pull it out there it is tight at the bung location.

Center the shields on the muffler and trim a semi-circle for the O2 sensor to clear. Regular tinsnips will work fine for this.

The shield outside (side you see when panel is removed) should go over the innner shield. It will look much better this way once complete. Place the shields/muffler on a thick towel on table or bench when working so you don't scratch/dent the shields. Once centered, use a ratchet strap to hold it all together and drill/rivet the shield together. Use short rivets, as the long ones will hit the muffler and hinder your work. Pretty straightforward, but time consuming if you want to do a good job.

Good Luck!!

This is not the same muffler but this is how to do a heat shield.

70456.jpeg

Sorry guys. I didn’t mean the heat shield around the muffler… I meant the one that goes over the top.

hmm it looks like you relocated the last screw for the heat shield mat as well. I'll have to take another look at mine. I appreciate the pic.

I thought I had a pic with it installed on my sled when I had it but I dont. The side of the heat shield that is closest to the panel needs to come out a bit. Lay it on a flat surface and tap it with a rubber mallet to bring that edge(where the flimsy heat shield stuff is screwed) out. I also believe I trimmed the back of one of the screws because it touched or was very close to touching the muffler. Then of course the notch that goes around the 02 sensor. After that it dropped right on and still fits fine with any other muffler you may end up using.

I thought I had a pic with it installed on my sled when I had it but I dont. The side of the heat shield that is closest to the panel needs to come out a bit. Lay it on a flat surface and tap it with a rubber mallet to bring that edge(where the flimsy heat shield stuff is screwed) out. I also believe I trimmed the back of one of the screws because it touched or was very close to touching the muffler. Then of course the notch that goes around the 02 sensor. After that it dropped right on and still fits fine with any other muffler you may end up using.
I just installed TD 3” super quiet as I found the drone of the 2.5” TurboForce a bit much especially on longer rides. I’m pretty mechanically inclined, but it would still be nice if TD would give ANY install instructions at all. I don’t want to end up cutting more than needed. The heat shield definitely doesn’t fit, not just the O2, but I will definitely try the advice you provided to bang it out a bit and check the fit from there. Just about finished installing all my parts, this shield and the rattle from the flimsy shield beside it are the last major things. Next will be first oil change and install of Precision EFI easy oil change kit, and I seem to have a squeak coming from the rear of the skid after installing TD 4th wheel kit (nightmare install) that I need to figure out. Track is pretty tight as recommended, but that shouldn’t make it squeak? There was also an unsettling rattle coming from the engine at certain speed/rpm that went away when squeezing the throttle which I hope was just a loose chain tensioner… turned it in around 3 turns before hitting any resistance, so it’s tightened as I think it should be and next ride I’ll hopefully finally be ready to try the MS17 & MS20 tunes!! . Only 600km on 22 L-TX GT EPS…. This forum is very helpful so far! Thank you.

Back