• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

3200 km and need to change roller, weight, washer of Clutch ?!

I bought a used low mileage fx nytro clutch for $250.
Installed a 911 cover right away and have had zero issues with it.

I kept an eye on my primary because of what I have read on this site. I had roller issues last year and replaced just the roller bushings. I used the Yamaha fiber bushings and took out the plastic bushings. After one ride those fiber bushings were waisted. So I put the original plastic ones back in, and went on my seasons last ride upcountry for another 550 miles. Got back and noticed that both my weights and roller bushings were shot this time.
Whereas the roller bushings were shot, the clutch weights were only riding on one edge, thus it looked like the rollers were a bit sideways, causing the weights to wear their surface as they tried to move sideways, and take out those bushings at that point. It has over 8K on it.
So this year Dalton’s Weights, and Gforce 15mm rollers! We’ll see..

What I learned, once your rollers get really toasted and one side sits higher then the other on that roller pin, that will then take out your ramp or weight bushings, as they now run crooked. And on those big trails doing 120 or so, over and over again, the whole clutch will fail fast if not caught in time. I got lucky, as a couple more turn ons would have surely thrown those weights at me!

I kept an eye on my primary because of what I have read on this site. I had roller issues last year and replaced just the roller bushings. I used the Yamaha fiber bushings and took out the plastic bushings. After one ride those fiber bushings were waisted. So I put the original plastic ones back in, and went on my seasons last ride upcountry for another 550 miles. Got back and noticed that both my weights and roller bushings were shot this time.
Whereas the roller bushings were shot, the clutch weights were only riding on one edge, thus it looked like the rollers were a bit sideways, causing the weights to wear their surface as they tried to move sideways, and take out those bushings at that point. It has over 8K on it.
So this year Dalton’s Weights, and Gforce 15mm rollers! We’ll see..

What I learned, once your rollers get really toasted and one side sits higher then the other on that roller pin, that will then take out your ramp or weight bushings, as they now run crooked. And on those big trails doing 120 or so, over and over again, the whole clutch will fail fast if not caught in time. I got lucky, as a couple more turn ons would have surely thrown those weights at me!
If I had to replace my clutch, I would certainly follow what some have done and recommend, which is the older style Yamaha non Sidewinder clutch!

You can replace parts and have a reliable clutch. A lot on here can get blown so far out of proportion because a cpl people had bad experiences and are beating the drum. I put rollers on mine this year just because I sent it to thunder products. I’m sure it was getting close but at 300hp and 5000miles it was still working fine.

no way I'm going to pay for this! I just don't feel like doing it every 4000 km its a joke, and cv tech are good here in Quebec I have one in my can am outlander 1000, for me cv tech is an easier way to go for it ... I'm not really sure if I go for the apex clutch and 911 covers what to buy and then ill need to set it up I'm not big expert on clutch rebuild

Last edited:
Probably just weight bushings pretty cheap to replace!
Sounds like your getting boned by your dealer hard...
Around 200$ Canadian will get weight bushings , washers and to rollers
they were at 230 + taxes for all part

no way I'm going to pay for this! I just don't feel like doing it every 4000 km its a joke, and cv tech are good here in Quebec I have one in my can am outlander 1000, for me cv tech is an easier way to go for it ... I'm not really sure if I go for the apex clutch and 911 covers what to buy and then ill need to set it up I'm not big expert on clutch rebuild

PB80 is a good quiet clutch. I had one and tried it for a bit, but had other issues at the time. Have a friend with one and he loves it and has sold others on it too. Can't go wrong with it. Had a PB80 on my 1200 turbo Doo as well and loved it.

My buddy and I have gone to the old RX-1 and Apex primary and they have been fantastic with no rollers issues, prior to the switch he ate rollers every ride and I couldn't get many miles myself, since going to the RX-1 primary I no longer have the need to even look at it, the rollers go forever again and no issues blowing belts or rollers anymore. You don't need a 911 cover for them at all, they work "just fine" without it. The Winder Primary has proven to me to be best used as a paper weight.

I now have a TAPP primary and Pro-4 secondary on the bench to go to as well. Not sure I'm going to use the Pro-4 secondary, but its there along with the Viper secondary in case I want to throw them on. The Winders roller secondary seems to be just fine unlike the primary.

Back