• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

10,000 miles of clutch opinions

I have played with belt slack before on push button reverse sleds. they have to be run abnormally loose, no getting around it. I hate the loose belt on my winder. doesn't take much to slip taking off. I would gladly have it be manual reverse. the phazer and doo 1200 are no different. just alot less power

A true yamaha sled would have had brass gears in the reverse actuator not plastic.

Ok, talk to me.
What are you seeing?
Keep in mind that's a 3600 mile picture with some adjustments in there. I over-revved it for a spell.
There is a sharpie mark ALL the way to left top if you look close. I think the belt mark is about a .25 inch down from top.

Ok, talk to me.
What are you seeing?
Keep in mind that's a 3600 mile picture with some adjustments in there. I over-revved it for a spell.
There is a sharpie mark ALL the way to left top if you look close. I think the belt mark is about a .25 inch down from top.
I see no issues for 3600 miles. Looks VERY good imo. Sorry for hijack

After having a 19 with push button reverse at my left thumb I never want to go back to manual. I actually am envisioning in my head how I could do this on an ATV. It's that good. I despise manual reverse. I hope Yamaha reads this and announces push button reverse on their atv's just like it is on this sled.

Agree the timken won't leave my clutches anytime soon. It may not grip quite as good as the carlisle xs but its stronger and doesn't squeal at idle like the old one did. Hence the round cogs now.

I have played with belt slack before on push button reverse sleds. they have to be run abnormally loose, no getting around it. I hate the loose belt on my winder. doesn't take much to slip taking off. I would gladly have it be manual reverse. the phazer and doo 1200 are no different. just alot less power
The Phazer reverse gears are synchro-mesh(dogs on the side), where the Winders use fine teeth. I apologize for nit-picking, but it isn't an identical system.

Ok, talk to me.
What are you seeing?
The belt mark about 1 inch down seems like a little slippage to me. If it were mine I would add 1 gram in the tip, clean the faces and ride again.
This was the clutch face on my primary on my last set up for my 270 tune with a XS825 belt before I switched to a TAPP clutch. Granted, I don't ride sustained high speed here in VT like you do in Maine.
GetAttachmentThumbnail

Rangeley Lake is where i should start my season because not only is it 7 miles of hard pack from billion sleds, but my buds' garage is 100 yards away so i could easily go back & forth to make some adjustments. i should have done this last year.
That pic had multiple adjustments to it also so it's hard to determine what was what.
I'd have to clean them, mark them then go for a full blast rip.
But i see what you are saying there...

BTW: There is some satisfaction watching others blow belts trying to keep up
IMG_3643.jpg
IMG_3628.jpg

Running a tight deflection does not hinder the sled going in reverse, but rather hinders the sled going from reverse to forward. What will happen is sled wont shift into forward fully and will pop out stripping the upper gear. Hence, sled will not go forward and you end up walking. .....
How do the articat clutches get away with the auto tension and the belt sitting 1/4" up in the secondary?and no fwd and rev trouble

How do the articat clutches get away with the auto tension and the belt sitting 1/4" up in the secondary?and no fwd and rev trouble
They haven’t had the auto tensioner for many years. I don’t believe the 9000 has ever had it.
No forward or reverse trouble?
Uhm well the reverse actuator has been failing on cats for years.
Anyone who sets deflection by how far the belt rides up in the secondary is doing it wrong. Deflection is exactly that. How much the belt DEFLECTS when when pushed on, is the proper way. Differences in center to center and belt lengths can cause a belt to ride at a different height in the secondary.

Back