• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

8dn vs 8jp belt differences

Studroes144

TY 4 Stroke God
Was down at my dealers yesterday and started chit chatting about the belt stuff going around with the viper. He seemed to have a pretty good idea right away as to how people have been swapping out the stock belt and using the 8dn. He also said that at the yamaha training school this was discussed some as well. This may or may not have been covered already but he said that the 2 belts are not the same compound, the 8jp for some reason is made different, by the sounds of it, yamaha all but says the 8dn is indeed a better belt..nothing new there. He also said that yamaha built and tested an belt that has the 8dn length but made from the 8jp compound. That belt didn't hold up like the 8dn did. He also said that yamaha told them that if anyone is to by chance use the 8jp belt on the older yamaha sleds and see gains in performs that yamaha wants it documented and given to them. Just thought it was some neat info. Maybe it's old news but it's the first I've heard it spoken plain and clear from someone that's heard it direct from the source. To me it sounds like yamaha knows there is an issue there. Prolly the fact that we're in the 2nd production year of the sled the only two options to fix the problem are for yamaha to come out with machined clutches to accept the 8dn belt..that's not gonna happen lol or to have yamaha atleast make an 8jp length belt with a stronger compound. But since there are so many of the original 8jp belts out there already I don't see that happening either. We also talked briefly about the 8dn belt, at that time the boss stepped in too and their opinions on the 8dn weren't anything too great on it. They said it's a very strong belt which makes it last but the aftermarket ones perform much better, the 8dn is such a hard stiff belt that compared to an aftermarket one it doesn't grip near as hard. They sell the gates belts there so I had them order me one, hearing the thoughts first hand from them I figured for like $65 I'd give it a shot and see how the performs compares to the stock 8jp. May even throw on an 8dn this winter if I can find one that'll fit and try that out too.

Nice. I did like the Ultimax on my SRX vs 8dn. I will be trying Gates,Ultimax and yet again the 8jp. Goal is to match 8dn. This is my secondary untouched after 500 or so miles with 8DN. Way better looking than it was with 8jp.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 405
Nice. I did like the Ultimax on my SRX vs 8dn. I will be trying Gates,Ultimax and yet again the 8jp. Goal is to match 8dn. This is my secondary untouched after 500 or so miles with 8DN. Way better looking than it was with 8jp.

Glad you're trying the gates belt! Just commented on Facebook asking if you were. For the price of it you can't go wrong. It's as cheap as the 8dn, im sure it's not as hard of a compound as the 8dn so hopefully it's very grippy, would be very nice for everyone to have a cheap belt option and not have to worry about machining clutches to run the 8dn

Also Yamaha came out with a different belt to try fixing reverse engagement issues on Phazer so they could easily do it for us. If not sure looks like aftermarket or 8dn for me but we will see.

I will look into the more expensive gates belt. If it's available and I can purchase it I will go with that one. We can get a couple reviews on both belts. I'm confident I could get the 8JP belt to work good bought with the money invested in the turbo I want to make sure I have a belt and clutch set up that really works awesome and grips very hard!

Maybe it would be nice if gates came out with the 8jp with their formula for the 8dn knock off then we would not have to do the machining - they missed the boat on that one.

Glad you're trying the gates belt! Just commented on Facebook asking if you were. For the price of it you can't go wrong. It's as cheap as the 8dn, im sure it's not as hard of a compound as the 8dn so hopefully it's very grippy, would be very nice for everyone to have a cheap belt option and not have to worry about machining clutches to run the 8dn

You do not have to machine your clutches to run the 8DN. Try one Barry you may like it.

Isn't the gates viper belt the same length as the 8jp? I'd certainly think so

You must know something that the sales department of Gates does not. I called a rep last year and here is the current catalog no SR vipers or 8 jp listed

Gates Chart.jpg

There are viper specific belts available thru gates. Gonna call and try to order their top belt and see how performance compares

Must be so new they don't have a listing in the catalog yet. There was not one available all last season. Let me know what you find out.

Back