• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

8dn belt dust

Had the primary off tonight. Vacuumed out the belly pan, and washed the primary in the kitchen sink. Wife was not impressed:mad:. Told I learned about it on TY and that she should count her blessings that it isn't in the dishwasher for a deep cleaning;)!

K helix is a 49/41

H was 1 angle either up or down.... 50/42?

Anybody know what the Helix angle is on the "H" helix from Ulmer?

By Ulmers ratings:
The K is 49/41
The H is 47/37

The issue with making a direct comparison is that his helix is nickel plated making the surface hard and smooth. This combined with the "cut" alters the shift characteristics. The H is said to be similar to a 46/40 of a conventional helix so I am going to be testing a 46/36 conventional next on mine. Once I have my setup I'll have Ulmer build me one merged with his specs.

Just so you guys know the advertised and measured Helix angles are very often different. For a reason. I would be sure of things by calling Ulmer and asking. I know for sure the Hauk chart is not what the Helix actually is.

My info is straight from the horse's mouth. Beyond the ratings differences, the plating and the compound angling all make it even more difficult to compare.

It's only ballpark, but a good start. I'm testing with a BDX helix (had to redrill my own 6 hole as all of his are approx 10° off) as they are inexpensive. Once we establish what works I'll have Ulmer build me one to his comparative specs.

I just picked up a new secondary spring to try. Lol I have the most muttiest clutch setup out there I think. Has got to be something from everyone on mine. Now trying different brand stuff. Little by little getting there!

I started a new 8DN this season. So far it seems that my belt dust is nil, but brake dust is heavy due to heavy use in field runs. I have yet to try any sustained 80mph+ runs due to conditions.

I'm also seeing alot of belt dust with the 8dn. I'm constantly hitting the limiter at WOT because of belt slippage. Mods are, maxflow muffler, venom intake, pcv, 1.6 ice cobra, ulmer clutch kit, OSP adjuster. Clutch setup- 2 heel 3 tip, K helix, red secondary spring, 6-1 wrap.

Last edited:
Any one with COTC seen this 8dn dust? I have a reason for asking, not trying to stir anything up.

We rode river and groomed trails yesterday. When I started the day my tunnel is spotless. I also installed a brand new 8dn belt that morning. Now I can't tell you if this is belt dust or brake dust. Yes COTC.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    43.4 KB · Views: 91
We rode river and groomed trails yesterday. When I started the day my tunnel is spotless. I also installed a brand new 8dn belt that morning. Now I can't tell you if this is belt dust or brake dust. Yes COTC.

Pull the panel and see if the dust is mainly around the brakes to see if it is brake dust. I suspect it is, the COTC heavy spring with shims should not let the 8dn shed dust.

Pull the panel and see if the dust is mainly around the brakes to see if it is brake dust. I suspect it is, the COTC heavy spring with shims should not let the 8dn shed dust.
It is pretty dirty around the brake rotor. Not much dust anywhere else.!!!!

Back