• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

8dn belt dust

image.jpeg
image.jpeg

That's 400km with a 8dn I put the 8jp on changed my tip weight and now I'm getting right up to 9700rpm and the sled almost comes over on its self while doing a wheelie. I'll only be using 8jps from now on even if I have to change them more often. The raise revlimt really makes these vipers pull it what's holding them back on top end I believe

Yes it does jeffgilbert! LOL

Almost went over again this past weekend

I suspect if we didn't have white tunnels, there wouldn't be much of a problem.

Seriously though, here's a thought; doesn't having the tunnel open to the exhaust allow some snow to filter into the engine bay? It's not a completely sealed area. The amount "flying around" in there would depend on snow conditions (powder, packed trail, ice) and could cause inconsistent amounts belt slip/wear. Maybe this has been discussed already??

Last edited:
I suspect if we didn't have white tunnels, there wouldn't be much of a problem.

Seriously though, here's a thought; doesn't having the tunnel open to the exhaust allow some snow to filter into the engine bay? It's not a completely sealed area. The amount "flying around" in there would depend on snow conditions (powder, packed trail, ice) and could cause inconsistent amounts belt slip/wear. Maybe this has been discussed already??

Discussed at length on the Cat forums. Some guys use sealer and seal up panels after putting sled together along with frogskin on every opening but I found that a lot of work and did not do it. I did however drill two holes in the belly on both sides where the water tends to pool so it can get out and not become ice.

If you run wide open long pulls the 8dn on 6-1 with pink stock spring and Ulmer red spring will slip. Thats why I run the Dayco XTX but any belt seems to slip less than the 8DN under wide open long runs at top speed.
Do you the engagement and shift rates for the red spring?

I have a question. What will happen if you put a 8DN belt on a Viper with no modifications?

I did this on my boosted Viper after the 8JP belt came apart the last time, and there doesn't seem to be any negative effects. I have an Apex and RX1 and lots of 8DN belts around, and I have had good luck with the 8DN belts on the Apex and RX1. So I put one of the spares Viper after the last blown belt.

One season and it seems to be working well, but wondering if I'm doing some kind of damage that I am unaware of.

I have a question. What will happen if you put a 8DN belt on a Viper with no modifications?
Nothing....they are longer so you would need to run it 1-2 mm above the top of the sheeve. Some say they slip on top end. I ran one for a season and thought it didn't perform as well as an 8JP.

Nothing....they are longer so you would need to run it 1-2 mm above the top of the sheeve. Some say they slip on top end. I ran one for a season and thought it didn't perform as well as an 8JP.
Right on, thanks for the feedback.

I didn't notice any belt slipping, or really any difference with the 8DN other than it not blowing belts. But I ride in the mountains and am looking for torque rather than speed anyway.

About the only time I'm really getting into the throttle is when I'm pulling a steep slope. And I'm usually too busy trying not to eat it when I have it pinned to look at the speedometer. I have no idea what kind of track speed I'm getting. If anything, it might improve things if it's riding lower on the secondary resulting in more torque.

Back