• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Added MTX handle bar riser to the XTX se

I believe you are right. May have to go with same setup you have. I think my Oft block is forward already.
image.jpg

Cannondale, I am sure SnoNinja will share the yamaha parts list he put together if you're wanting to add the vertical steering. Wait untill we install his this weekend and we will make sure we have all the parts and pieces needed on the list.

How much higher are the bars with mtx setup vs the xtx block? Sorry for all the questions but my dealer never has any MTX's to compare. Really want the forward bars.

Cannondale, I am sure SnoNinja will share the yamaha parts list he put together if you're wanting to add the vertical steering. Wait untill we install his this weekend and we will make sure we have all the parts and pieces needed on the list.

Cool! I will wait. Going to put this thread in FAQ also.

I did compare the parts between a 2014 XTX SE and 2015 XTX LE and made an Excel overview. Feel free to use it. It even includes Sports Plaza prices.

Here is a link to my parts list; https://www.dropbox.com/s/bwizi5rn34xtau3/SR Viper project.xlsx?dl=0

Column P indicates whether the part # for the '14 XTX SE is equal to '15 XTX LE;
0 = part # equal,
1 = not equal, i.e. the parts required for the MTX setup.

However, you don't necessarily need all the parts, e.g. the tie rods for the '15 XTX LE have a different part # than the '14 XTX SE, but I'm sure you don't need new tie rods :) The parts all together is almost $290, with the steering post and the MTX tri-pod bracket counting for more than half of the cost.

You might also consider using the OFT billet steering blocks instead of the stock plastic ones...

I did compare the parts between a 2014 XTX SE and 2015 XTX LE and made an Excel overview. Feel free to use it. It even includes Sports Plaza prices.

Here is a link to my parts list; https://www.dropbox.com/s/bwizi5rn34xtau3/SR Viper project.xlsx?dl=0

Column P indicates whether the part # for the '14 XTX SE is equal to '15 XTX LE;
0 = part # equal,
1 = not equal, i.e. the parts required for the MTX setup.

However, you don't necessarily need all the parts, e.g. the tie rods for the '15 XTX LE have a different part # than the '14 XTX SE, but I'm sure you don't need new tie rods :) The parts all together is almost $290, with the steering post and the MTX tri-pod bracket counting for more than half of the cost.

You might also consider using the OFT billet steering blocks instead of the stock plastic ones...

Awesome. Thanks!

Awesome. Thanks!
Once we complete the install this weekend, I'll send you a copy of the parts list. Some of the LTX parts cross over, so I only bought the parts that were XTX-LE specific.

X2 on parts being under $300 for the conversion.

How much higher are the bars with mtx setup vs the xtx block? Sorry for all the questions but my dealer never has any MTX's to compare. Really want the forward bars.
Install complete. Was a breeze with Yamahaguys help.

Bars are 1-1/2" higher than they were. With the angle of the new shorty riser matching the upper section of the steering shaft above the universal joint, the bars are in the same position for and aft as they were, just higher. With this set up, you have the ability to rotate the riser forward moving the bars away from you if you want without having them swing in such a big arc. I didn't want them further forward as I don't like to hit my knees on the plastics. Best feature is the bars turn to full lock much flatter than stock. No chance of interference with your knees. Standing up, turning to full lock is more natural as the inside bar doesn't drop, and the bars pivot around the upper shaft center rather than swinging in an arc as they did with the stock set up.

Think I'm going to like this a lot. Will post up pictures tomorrow along with the parts list and a few install tips. Installed cost was $250ish and about 2 hours labor.

Okay, here's the rest of the info and pictures.

Measurements before:

IMG_0762.JPG

IMG_0763.JPG

Measurements after:

IMG_0766.JPG

IMG_0767.JPG

Level turning to full lock (shown left):

IMG_0768.JPG

During install, you have to notch the sides of the black side panel to clear the front bi-pod brace. Trial fit the hood and mark the brace location with tape, and then cut or grind a radius in the side of the black panel (used a small stain can and scribed the mark on the plastic):

IMG_0765.JPG

Also have to make hole in the instrument panel for the single brace. Holes is 7/8" diameter located 15/16" back from front edge of groove and centered in the panel. As an option, you could just order an instrument panel for a 2015 XTX-LE (I tried that but was sent the wrong part). They can be had for about $35.

IMG_0769.JPG

Completed install:

IMG_0770.JPG

Parts you need for vertical steering conversion install on 15 XTX, LTX or RTX:
(2) 8JM-RA322-00-00 M6-1.0 Nylock Nuts. Note that the part number is wrong and you get flange nuts if you order this part, but need regular nuts. I just used a couple of M6-1.0 Nylocks that I had on hand.
(2) 8JP-RA1B4-10-00 Flange Bolts. These hold the bi-pod and single brace together at the bushing with the nuts listed above.
(1) 8KG-F3813-00-00 Steering Column
(1) 8KR-F1947-00-00 Steering Bracket. This is the bi-pod bracket that attaches to the frame using the existing bolts.
(1) 8KR-F1957-00-00 Steering Bracket. This is the single bracket that attaches to the frame in front of the gas tank using the existing bolts.
(1) 8KR-F3818-00-00 Steering Cover. This covers the universal joint on the steering column.
(2) 8JM-RAB01-00-00 Clamps. These are standard 8" zip ties. No need to buy if you have zip ties on hand.
(4) 8KR-RA4666-00-00 Washers. These go between the steering brackets and the frame at each of the four mounting points.
(1) 8KR-RA816-00-00 Bushing. This plastic bushing goes in the steering brackets to support the top of the column above the universal.
(1) 8KG-F381B-00-00 Joint. This is the shorty riser.

Other parts you might want, but don't need:
(4) 8KG-RA298-00-00 Screw. These are allen head screws to replace the hex head bolts that hold the bar clamps to the riser. These were used on the XTX-LE and MTX's with the mountain strap as the heads were exposed to view. If you don't care about seeing gold colored hex head bolts, or are installing the stock cover, you don't need these.

Cost of the parts installed was less than $250. I ordered parts on line.

Last edited:
Good news. I measured a XTX and RTX riser and they are the same so I should have identical results as you guys did. 1.5 in higher. I can live with that!

Good news. I measured a XTX and RTX riser and they are the same so I should have identical results as you guys did. 1.5 in higher. I can live with that!
Only negative I can see with this set up is that the pad blocks the pod a bit when seated. I'm just short of 6' and when seated I have to stretch a bit to see all of the pod. Warning lights are fully visible, just the bottom portion is blocked by the pad (cover). Just something you might want to consider.

Maybe it's a result of the stock RTX, LTX pad being blocky. I'll have to look at Yamahaguys rides to see if the mountain strap gives you better view of the pod.

Anybody that swapped to the MTX post have their stock one to sell? I will also have 2 MTX posts to sell or swap as well.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

Back