• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Advice Needed: Apex in the shop

zimmr6

Veteran
Guys,

My trusty Apex had multiple things all strike at once and is currently at the dealer. Here’s the situation:
  • 2006 Apex RTX, 8800 miles
  • Fixes needed:
    • Donuts
    • Flex pipes
    • Maybe new headers and muffler - not sure yet
    • Code 84 (tors)
    • New plugs
    • 1 new bogey bearing
    • When they were taking off the flex pipes, the shop broke a bolt off in the engine - they’re saying the basically need to remove the engine to get access to getting it out.
Two questions:
1. Should the dealer be accountable for breaking the bolt off? They are planning to charge me for fixing it.
2. They are saying it’ll be 1500-2000 for the above. Should I even bother? I’m considering having them just reassemble everything, and then I sell it as is for $1500. If i have them fix it all up, I’d probably still only get $3000 - so it may not even be worth it?

What would you guys do?
Thanks!
Andy

You don't need to remove the engine to get to any of the 8 exhaust bolts, they are just selling you extra labor. This is an easy repair.

Last edited:
The problem is drilling out the bolt that they broke off in the engine - I’m guessing they can’t get a drill in there to bore it out? Even so, since they broke it off - shouldn’t they be responsible for covering that labor themselves?
upload_2020-3-2_6-39-7.jpeg

Attachments

• upload_2020-3-2_6-38-16.jpeg
    upload_2020-3-2_6-38-16.jpeg
    16.4 KB · Views: 101
Right angle die grinder and a end mill will drill out the broken bolt. I think they should be responsible for breaking the bolt, I guess it's there shop and can do what they want. I would not charge for it in my shop. Its an easy repair, I have done alot of them.

that sucks. Good luck.
but this is why i do my own maintenance on my sleds. i wouldn't be able to afford to own them if i had to bring them into the stealership all the time

You'd be lucky to get 3k. If you dont want to fix it, part it out. 1500 to 2000 just for the motor. I'm in ny and 06 -08 apexes are going for 1500 to 2500 max. I've done all that stuff you mentioned myself. You can get all the procedures her on this site. Call it a season and fix it over the summer. Mine has 15,114 miles. This year, I replaced both running board heat exchangers, stator, and I just broke the driveshaft last weekend. All fixed and running great at the moment.

Attachments

• 20200119_100829.jpg
    20200119_100829.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 111

Back