• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Am I the only one?

A few improvements to help.

I put USI X2 Triple Threat skis on my XTX and what a huge improvement. Everyone knows Yamaha stock skis suck. I also put the tunnel enclosure kit on from Schmidt Brothers and it reduces the ice build up to nearly nothing. As for the frozen knees and hands, that is typical of riding a Nytro, but a pair of gauntlets helps tremendously. Hope this helps and enjoy.

nytrose said:
North mostly Huntsville,Haliburton,Pembroke

Were you near Dwight this weekend, I'm pretty sure we passed each other twice...1st time we were stopped at a y in the trail...you and 2 others passed by....2nd time you were stopped just over a washout and we crossed it and continued on....I had an all white FX Nytro with custom graphics ( black n yellow with a yellow number plate w/44 on it.

Even though the nytro has its little problems hear and there, the sled is still awesome, just maintaining it and it's been great to me!! Never have I ever been so satified with a sled!

nytrose said:
Dear Yamaha:

Im trying really hard to like my sled,but the more miles i put on the more im finding the opposite and the fact that i may have to become honest with myself. I have almost 1000 miles of seat time. I've had lots of sleds in my lifetime but never this many issues with the same one.

All my buddies run 2 stroke and its not like they are cutting the sled up but i know that they see it, and more important, and whats got me somewhat dissapointed is im expierencing it.

I'm trying so hard to like this sled and i mean that,but maybe i need to trade it in.
Rode 2 strokes all my life,love yamaha,gave this sled a good go made all adjustments to suspension as per members on this site,but there is still more things i dont like about this sled than i do like.Why? Is it just me or are there others

track noise is terrible on the trail,humming at high speeds.
tunnel iceing is almost embarassing,and could be dangerous,and also contributes to the track noise.
frozen knees riding in -28C,
frozen fingers despite yamaheater which by the way is a huge improvement
little storage
handling,darting is terrible,im almost sure its because of the weight over the skiis. (running 144 studs with 6 in. carbide)
heavy steering sore shoulders
skiis too narrow sink in a little powder
sub-frames bending
reverse handle is awkward and cumbersome
the weight of this sled is noticeable, contrary to what i have read in the magazines before i bought it. To me im scared to take it off a beaten path.

What i love about this sled.
it looks sexy
it pulls like frieght train
it sounds awesome.
ergonomics are awesome.

Am I the only one?

Disappointed in Canada.

no disrespect intended. just my take on my sled

LOVE 09 XTX. excell exhaust system with partial plate tunnel close off. NO ICE ISSUES, no track howling with stock track. i live in manitoba canada. rode the other night a -25 c below with yamaha heater. nice and toasty. same shocks as yours float x. at 53 pounds my a arms are near horizontal and my rebound is set a 3 from sofetest and my damping set a 2 from softness. i love to pound ditches hard. handles great with C&A razors, 2700 km no bent sub frames. it is hard on sliders. starts great . sounds great. pulls hard. 112 on gps. shows 119 on my gauge which is a apex gauges by the way. all in all . i love it. apex for 2 years prior. new ski doo 800 x for 4 years prior. a new sled each year with new motors each year. my take

sell and buy a differant sled. that is a honest comment

Yeah I agree...Sell it and move on if you're not willing to spend the time & money to fine tune.

I've got an 09 XTX. Came off 800 Doos, all Gades and Summits. Loved those sleds except for the fact I had to have a spare short block in the shop ready to drop in when I grenaded yet another PowerTek POS. I'd go for a trip up north and take the spare engine with me, just because I knew that at some point, it was going to blow up.....

Bought the XTX last year and wondered if I had made a mistake the 1st. time I rode it? Read a bunch of crap on TY, some good, some BS, took it all with a grain of salt and started dialing the sled in. If you want to take the time to set these sleds up, they handle as good as anything out there and don't weigh all that much more. I ride with Revs, XPs and the odd Cat. I can tell you one thing for certain, at the end of the day, they are all still trying to keep up. Not one of my riding buddies make fun of the heavy old 'rice burner' anymore. It gets awesome fuel economy for having the crap driven out of it and has never left me stranded, got to love the reliability and the bonus is that it pulls like a freight train! :Rockon:

Fix the hand warmers ( just so you know, Doo has the same problem) put bigger idler wheels on the suspension and install a windshield that actually deflects the wind ( you think the Nytro is cold, ride a X package XP...) and have a nice day! :4STroke:

ICE BUILD UP

just a note on ice build up. as i mentioned i dont have the problen in the tunnel area. i did have the ice lines on the side of the tunnel on both side. i think i solved that problem. remove your seat. remove all the nuts and remove the exhaust alum shroud. put a small line of clear silicon on the lip of the shroud and reinstall. its stops all the melted snow from creeping out and forming the ice lines on the tunnel sides. PS. I SOLD MY DOO FOR THE SAME REASON . MOTOR AFTER MOTOR AFTER MOTOR.seems that all sleds need some fine tuning. thats why you buy sleds with ADJUSTABLE SHOCKS, LIMITER STRAPS. REAR SPRING TENSIONERS. to adjust to your way of riding. ps no belts yet. that was an ongoing items on my doo. very expensive

nytrose said:
Dear Yamaha:

Im trying really hard to like my sled,but the more miles i put on the more im finding the opposite and the fact that i may have to become honest with myself. I have almost 1000 miles of seat time. I've had lots of sleds in my lifetime but never this many issues with the same one.

All my buddies run 2 stroke and its not like they are cutting the sled up but i know that they see it, and more important, and whats got me somewhat dissapointed is im expierencing it.

I'm trying so hard to like this sled and i mean that,but maybe i need to trade it in.
Rode 2 strokes all my life,love yamaha,gave this sled a good go made all adjustments to suspension as per members on this site,but there is still more things i dont like about this sled than i do like.Why? Is it just me or are there others

tunnel iceing is almost embarassing,and could be dangerous,and also contributes to the track noise.
little storage
handling,darting is terrible,im almost sure its because of the weight over the skiis. (running 144 studs with 6 in. carbide)
sub-frames bending
the weight of this sled is noticeable, contrary to what i have read in the magazines before i bought it. To me im scared to take it off a beaten path.

it looks sexy
it sounds awesome.
ergonomics are awesome.

Am I the only one?

Disappointed in Canada.

90% of the issues you are talking about are set up. I've been riding sleds for over 30 years. If you are in the Bancroft area for a ride PM me and I will help you set it up. If I can make a stock XTX rail, I can certainly make yours rail faster and address all the issues you have. ;)!

Buy the 2010 mid windshield off the 2010 Nytro and the side deflectors, shim the skis with a 3/8 plastic shim with a set of bergstrom tripple points and/or buy new skis. powderhounds, Tripple threats etc.... Play with the suspension more..

Sell it and get something lighter!. I have tried the same, changed skis, suspension, tried this and that and adjusted it again. Still the bottom line is you can't make a HARLEY handle like a motorcrosser. If yamaha could loose about 30-40lbs and pick up about 20-30 hp this sled would be sweet. Some day the 4-stokes will be like the 450 motorcross bikes but right now they are still in the YZF400 era.

I traded my 09 xtx for a Doo 1200 xr gade x after fighting my xtx last year for 2000 miles. I tried 3 different set of skis and all kinds of suspension adjustments and never could get it dialed in. Needless to say I was very disappointed in the xtx and wish I had kept my Attak. I have a barn full of Yamahas and love them all but that xtx. I only have 300 miles on my Doo so far this year and I haven't done any thing but a few very minor suspension adjustments. I hate to say it but (at least from my perspective) straight from the dealers door this Doo is 10 times the sled that my xtx ever was. I'm not done with Yamaha but I'm loving the Doo. :4STroke:

nytrose said:
Dear Yamaha:

little storage
sub-frames bending

it looks sexy
it sounds awesome.
ergonomics are awesome.

Am I the only one?

Disappointed in Canada.

Sell it and make somebody else happy! They will dial it in like I did!

Snoxracer242 said:
Sell it and get something lighter!. I have tried the same, changed skis, suspension, tried this and that and adjusted it again. Still the bottom line is you can't make a HARLEY handle like a motorcrosser. If yamaha could loose about 30-40lbs and pick up about 20-30 hp this sled would be sweet. Some day the 4-stokes will be like the 450 motorcross bikes but right now they are still in the YZF400 era.

i agree

I work at a shop full of guys with doo tatooed on their butt. Yes, I've had issues just like everyone else and I too have had a few choice words to say about my FX when I first got it. Yes,we shouldn't have to spend more money and time on abrand new sled. But you know what? After all is said and done, If I wrecked my sled tomorrow, I'd by another Nytro on Monday, you know why? The sled all of us sled heads have now is probably better than we could have bought OEM.
What I'm trying to say is the sum of its parts are better than any of us could have hoped for from a stock sled. I've owned 40ish sleds in my time, from T-cats to 440 snopros to pro-x's not one could put a grin on my face like my Nytro does.
Some of you gents should realize a four stroke will never handle the same same as a2 stroker. But there is an upside to them that you can't compare ( reliability,torque, real world mpg). Funny thing happens when my doo buddies raz me about slider wear , I ask them how many blew up this weekend?
Sorry about the long winded reply, just getting really tired of these dough heads, I mean doo heads talking about how much better Ski-doo is with this and that but when you ask any to go on a good hard (not stupid)250 miler, they all have plans and can't make it.. Thanx guys !

Back