• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Anyone with a warm start problem

Starting point whole range with just your dash or according to dealer it can be reflashed so that would mean everything.My dealer doesnt have tool for reflash he sends them to Yamaha and they do it.

kehodder said:
kehodder said:
OK....as a newbie here I did the search and don`t see anyone with a similar problem.
The issue....08 MTX will not start when warm unless throttle is depressed slightly while turning the key. Anyone else experience this issue

btw....cold starts are perfect just turn the key

There is a fix out....dealer drilled teeny holes in the throttle body valves? to add a little more air when starting....warm starts are much better now.

Is this the official Yamaha fix? I told my dealer about the stalling, the reply I got was "not enough people have complained". No fix was offered.

Dodgeman said:
Is this the official Yamaha fix? I told my dealer about the stalling, the reply I got was "not enough people have complained". No fix was offered.

I was told Yamaha was involved....but unsure if the workaround is an "official" fix.

So holes in the throttle plates won't raise the idle RPM because it's an open-loop EFI? It would idle leaner, then. Maybe raise CO to compensate?

I hope noone goes out and drills holes in throttleplates.That is just wrong.You could do same thing by putting a hole in any of the vacuum lines.Idle will definitly go up but its wrong way to do it.

Maybe try raising the idle a bit...I would NOT touch the throttle when starting because that will prematurly wear out your starter clutch..

yanrider said:
Maybe try raising the idle a bit...I would NOT touch the throttle when starting because that will prematurly wear out your starter clutch..

No it won't. The starter clutch is basically a one way bearing, and it de-couples when the engine turns quicker than the starter.

Dodgeman said:
yanrider said:

No it won't. The starter clutch is basically a one way bearing, and it de-couples when the engine turns quicker than the starter.

ya but if you give it gas while starting it could kick back and mess up the bearing...I was told it's a big problem on some Yamaha quads and road bikes???

Back