• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

APEX chaincase / reverse

I just installed a new ripsaw track with extrovert drivers. Everything went back together fairly easy, but I'm having an issue with my reverse. Yesterday when i finished it up, it kept "poping" out of reverse (you would hear gears spin, and no movement!) not a good sound! I took everything back apart today, followed a guide I found on here and took it for a spin. Drove forward and back over a dozen time, and no issues. I get the sled back home, back up three more times, no issues. Go to put it in the garage, and it pops back out of reverse! I never touched the adjustments on the reverse linkage, made sure all the internal springs were back, the arm is in the right place on the reverse sproket in the case, and i'm lost... it doesn't do it everytime, but I'm afraid of causing damage to it. It has never done this before, so I'm not sure what could be the problem.... please help!

PS: I posted this in the tech section, if a double post is an issue, can you please delete the previous one? Thanks!

Probably not much help. But my 06 RTX would do the same thing. It ended up being reverse was not fully engaged. Sometimes I have to move forward very little to get full engagement. On my sled the reverse alarm sounds when it is fully engaged. I don't hit the gas in reverse without hearing the alarm. Other wise it will come out of gear.
Good luck hope you get it figured out.

The manual calls for 27 mm(1.06in) "between" the 2 nuts on the top horizontal lever rod. On the vertical lever rod you turn to lengthen the rod by hand until no play. Then back off 1/4 turn. Measure both EXACTLY before you adjust for reference in case you really screw it up. "between" the nuts is the internal dimension. My dimensions between the tie ends; not the nuts; are 1 13/16in on the horizontal & 1 7/16in on vertical. Measure & see if you're close...

The lever does move right to where it needs to be, and the reverse indicator does sound. The sled does go into reverse, but randomly "slipped out". I will check the measurements in the am to see where it stands..... This just blows my mind! I can't figure it out!

RedlineViper said:
The lever does move right to where it needs to be, and the reverse indicator does sound. The sled does go into reverse, but randomly "slipped out". I will check the measurements in the am to see where it stands..... This just blows my mind! I can't figure it out!

measurements need to be exact,seen this before

Dan

Thanks guys for all the replies. I took it apart again yesterday with the parts drawing, and found that I had both of the washers on the two smaller gears on the back of them, and not one on each side... my goof, but glad I found it before blowing a chain! wow... Thanks again, and THINK SNOW!

I rode my '09 Apex LTX GT for the first time over the weekend. My reverse gear was not engaging fully and making an awful sound and kicked back out. I only have 100 miles on it, and have to take it to the dealer for them to fix it. Very disappointed in that. :o|

But coming from a 93 TCat 900, this Apex is unbelievable. such a wide powerband and flat torque curve (or so it feels). very addictive. My back likes the new comfy suspension too.

:4STroke:

04JRB said:
I rode my '09 Apex LTX GT for the first time over the weekend. My reverse gear was not engaging fully and making an awful sound and kicked back out. I only have 100 miles on it, and have to take it to the dealer for them to fix it. Very disappointed in that. :o|

But coming from a 93 TCat 900, this Apex is unbelievable. such a wide powerband and flat torque curve (or so it feels). very addictive. My back likes the new comfy suspension too.

:4STroke:

Just wondering what you're gunna have the dealer fix?? If it wasn't engaged fully, then that would be the reason it kiced out, right?? Nothing really to fix just make sure you engage if completely next time..
If you are coming off a 1993 T cat to an 09 apex, you are gunna be ASTOUNDED by the suspension when you get out and hit your first beat up trail on a saturday afternoon. I wish I could be there when you get to the other end of the trail for the first time, You're gunna be like ....WOW....

To answer the original question, I had my rx1 do this a couple times on me too. I was actually moving at around 10mph in reverse when it did it once and almost threw me off the machine. It ended up needing to be adjusted. It happened after I changed a track too. Not sure what it was because I didn't touch any of the adjustment but I had to touch it after the track change..

It's usually an adjustment problem when the sled is new, get it adjusted and it will be OK. I had that happen to my RX-1 way back in 2002.

Good info guys!!! Mine does the same thing. Sometimes it grinds, sometimes it doesn't. Seems to do it more when there is more pressure on the track...like my fat a$$! I've tried adjusting it but can't seem to get it dialed in. I pretty much always get off the sled when reversing now....

Adjust it to specification and you will be fine. If you can't do it yourself have your dealer adjusting it for you.

shanksyamaha said:
Just wondering what you're gunna have the dealer fix?? If it wasn't engaged fully, then that would be the reason it kiced out, right?? Nothing really to fix just make sure you engage if completely next time..
If you are coming off a 1993 T cat to an 09 apex, you are gunna be ASTOUNDED by the suspension when you get out and hit your first beat up trail on a saturday afternoon. I wish I could be there when you get to the other end of the trail for the first time, You're gunna be like ....WOW....

I had my buddy riding with me check it out too, (he has an 08 anniv., same model). He thought it was out of whack too. I went down the wrong way on a forked trail by 15' or so. I very well could have been in such a hurry to get back on trail that I wasnt paying enough attention to the lever, We'll see I suppose.

Either way, the sled was already on the trailer, and its on my way to work, and I was going there to pick up some stuff I ordered and needed to order stud boy 6" dualies and a marginal wheel kit too.

If the dealer doesnt find anything, then Ill just have to grow a sack, put down the purse and engage that bastard like a man, lol!

I appreciate your response though, it got me thinking differently about it. As in maybe I wasnt paying close attention to the actual motion of engaging that lever. Its the first reverse Ive ever had.

Oh,and you hit the nail on the head. At the end of that day of riding, where the beat up trail mto the drop point (1-2' moguls) usually kill me on that old turd I rode all those years, I was flying over them at 50-mph or so; like they werent even there!

my 07 apex rtx has had the same reverse issue. whenever the track is really bound tight it doesn't want to go in reverse or it grinds or popsout.
i just adjusted mine per the spec. posted here.....it seems to work fine on the stand.....we'll see in real world application.

Besides the adjustment on the linkage being right, check the center bolt in the middle of the L-shaped bracket between the 2 linkage arms. Mine was very loose last year and would either grind or pop-out especially with weight or resistance in reverse. Then it became so loose before I noticed it that it would not go into reverse at all.

Back