• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Apex GT vs Thunder Cat: Actual Results

vmax700

We got about four inches of snow in the Milwaukee area last night. So today we got our sleds out to see how the New Apex GT would do against the 2 smokes! A friend of mine owns the Apex GT and I wanted to witness the shoot out in the hay field because I want to upgrade to a four stroke. When I got to the field there was a total of four machines, 2000 Thunder Cat with 244 studs and a clutch kit, 2004 Polaris Pro X 800 with clutch kit new rip saw track and 144 studs, 2004 rev 800 rip saw track 144 studs all against the Apex GT stock clutching 196 studs with 8 miles on it.

They marked out 1000 feet. The snow condition was 4 inches of fresh snow temp was 18 degrees. They lined up and the Apex jumped out two sled lenghts everytime and beat the other three sleds in a 1000 feet 5 times in a row. The thunder cat was the closest and was right on the back bumper of the Apex at a 1000 feet. The Polaris and Doo were 2 to 3 sleds lenghts back. No one could belive it how fast the four stroker was.

So next they ran at a 20 mph roll on with the Thunder Cat and the Apex pulled the Thunder Cat by 1 sled lenght and held it at 1000 feet. They did have room to run over 1000 feet safely but I think the thunder Cat might have had the Apex on top end. Next time I will do a video so everyone can see. Everyone was very impressed and had only good things to say about the Apex. I am now sold on the performance and going to get a Apex this was proof.

Do you know how many r.p.m.'s the GT was running? I would guess well below 10500. If so when the GT gets some miles on it the others probally won't be close. Thanks for the report.

Ya just wait till he gets 300+ miles on the apex and clutches it,the cat might be very surprised to maybe even see the top end still run past it,some guys are already running 121 on radar,going to be a very good year.. :die ;)! ;)!

I was beating on my apex today.. It wont pull over 10K without clutching...

Needs to run in the 10,300 zone to really move

welterracer said:
I was beating on my apex today.. It wont pull over 10K without clutching...

Needs to run in the 10,300 zone to really move
I am betting you dont have to much milage yet,or you have not held it wfo long enough,cause after about 30-40 miles if you ran it for full throttle bursts it will go to 10,500 after about 1/4 mile,but after you get 200 miles it goes right to 10,000 and creeps up to 10,500

My clutched warrior would go 10,500 right when i nailed the throttle from a dead stop..

My apex (stock clutching) pulls less than 9 K from a dead stop and must accelerate in order to get the RRs to go up.. it didnt hit 10K till after 40mph..

Proof that the stock clutching is underreving in stock form

welterracer said:
My clutched warrior would go 10,500 right when i nailed the throttle from a dead stop..

My apex (stock clutching) pulls less than 9 K from a dead stop and must accelerate in order to get the RRs to go up.. it didnt hit 10K till after 40mph..

Proof that the stock clutching is underreving in stock form
OH yes welt i agree w/ya about it not reving right to 10,500 and when clutched right it will,i thought you were saying it wont ever get to 10,500. It does take some time,but it gets there after 30-40 miles and now w/over 200 miles it does so all the time..

Even with Allens kit on it only pulls about 10100. He said he wants it at that so when it gets some miles on it, it wont over rev.. Not over 10500.

Very good report....very nice to see. I was out on Rib lake this last Sat and saw well tuned Apex RTXs running 121.6 mph not sure on the exact distance...I would guess 1/4 mile

Tom, he had the bare ice cleared off .6 of a mile he told me.

Well tuned Attak went thru at 127.6mph.....on the bottle tho. Oh Ya, that was mine!

NOS-PRO said:
Tom, he had the bare ice cleared off .6 of a mile he told me.

Well tuned Attak went thru at 127.6mph.....on the bottle tho. Oh Ya, that was mine!

N-P GREAT JOB Keep up the GREAT numbers.. Were PROUD of you... Terry

Thanks Buddy!

Hope to get 'er going 130 something.

Back