• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Apex GT won't start !!!

blackhawk said:
Tried new plugs.. still wont start??
Took the line off to the injectors... No fuel...Guess I'll try to get new relays and try that since the pump works when I hook it up directly to battery... (3 hrs from the nearest Yamaha shop) Any more suggestions?

blackhawk said:
blackhawk said:
Took the line off to the injectors... No fuel...Guess I'll try to get new relays and try that since the pump works when I hook it up directly to battery... (3 hrs from the nearest Yamaha shop) Any more suggestions?

Fuel pump one is Red/White, Blue/?, Red/Green, Red/Blue. Switch it with the Rad Fan relay. Red/White, Green/Yellow, Brown/Green, Blue.

Run it like this until you can get another relay. Just watch for overheating. You may get a code?????

tttario said:
blackhawk said:
blackhawk said:

Fuel pump one is Red/White, Blue/?, Red/Green, Red/Blue. Switch it with the Rad Fan relay. Red/White, Green/Yellow, Brown/Green, Blue.

Run it like this until you can get another relay. Just watch for overheating. You may get a code?????
I tried switching them and no difference. Just notices the headlights are not coming on when I tried to start the sled...That means the headlight relay is gone to?

Guess you tried this already. You said you're relays are working? Why change. Are you 100% they are working? Did you see 12V right at the pump terminal or at the relay? Broken wire from relay to pump? Can you measure the negative side of the pump for power? Maybe a bad ground if you get 12V on neg side. Heard of a grounding block located in the main wire harness above the clutch that a ground wire came loose on. I'll see if I can find the thread for you.

blackhawk said:
tttario said:
blackhawk said:
blackhawk said:

I tried switching them and no difference. Just notices the headlights are not coming on when I tried to start the sled...That means the headlight relay is gone to?

No, headlight relay is a 5 pin that switches hi/low. You can't use that one to switch with. Any of the other 3. use the rad fan one as the other controls loads of some sort.

Here is that link, scroll down you can see the location of where the ground came loose. Might be worth a look if your stuck.

http://www.ty4stroke.com/viewtopic.php? ... light=code

Here download the service manual.

http://www.ty4stroke.com/viewtopic.php?t=58628

The wiring diagram is on page 680, and the discription for number is 681 and color code is 682. The fuel injection relay is far right side 1/3 down. It's # 24 and the 4 injectors are # 25-28 and the fuel pump is # 29.

You can see once the relay closes the pump has to come on, if the ground is good. You can also test each injector for power at the connectors.

blackhawk said:
tttario said:
blackhawk said:
blackhawk said:

Your headlight is controlled from the load relay which probably means it is frozen or bad as well. Load relay switches with key in start position.

TBay Sledhead said:
Yes the pump should be coming on. Did you check the ground for the fuel pump? I think that it grounds thru the computer. Stick a small needle in the back of the plug and gonnect it to ground and see if the pump runs when you turn on the key.

The pump has its own ground. The injectors ground through the ECU.

tttario said:
TBay Sledhead said:
Yes the pump should be coming on. Did you check the ground for the fuel pump? I think that it grounds thru the computer. Stick a small needle in the back of the plug and gonnect it to ground and see if the pump runs when you turn on the key.

The pump has its own ground. The injectors ground through the ECU.

I tested the fire from the relay to the pump. Yes there is fire but not enough to run the pump. I made a new ground wire from the battery ground and hooked it to the pump and still no change. I checked the wire harness for any broken wires or melting and everything looked O.K. So will this rule out a broken or bad ground?

Hook the pump directly to the battery and ground (temporary wires) and try to start the sled. If that doesn't work remove one of the plug coils, put a plug in it (make sure you ground it) turn the engine over and see if the plugs are firing.

TBay Sledhead said:
Hook the pump directly to the battery and ground (temporary wires) and try to start the sled. If that doesn't work remove one of the plug coils, put a plug in it (make sure you ground it) turn the engine over and see if the plugs are firing.
I hooked the pump up directly, but the sled wont start. I had to put a bit of gas in each carb in order for it to start and will only run on the gas I put in the carbs. The sled wont pick up the gas at all from the fuel pump??

I found the problem.. the fuel pump is gone. It comes on but wont pump any gas.. Thanks everyone for the help trying to get this sled running. I really appreciate it. Anyone know where I can find a good used fuel pump??

Back