• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Attak Left me High and Dry

Puffdaddy

I've been on this website mang times but this is my first post. Came off my wonderful Viper to try a new Attak this year. Love the sled, but at 350 miles the rear axle came out and tore up the back end. I had to have my buddy on his Doo tow me in. He is really bummed he didn't have his camera!! Everyone is telling me they have never heard of this happening! Its a first for me also. I love the sled and am writing it off as a fluke.
If anyone is ever in the Iron River, WI area, I highly recommend Iron River Power Sports. They were fantastic in helping me out. Way above and beyond the call of duty.
You may want to take a moment and check your rear axle nuts.

Strange you should metion that, but I noticed that there was no cotter pin at the rear axial of my GT. I didn't even check to see if one is to be placed on the axial. I know from past Yamaha sleds (alot of them), they all have them. Before my first ride I'll check. Maybe I will go to the parts catalog and see if one should be there!!!

Ron

Ron,
The dealer says the cotter pins are a thing of the past. I know my previous sleds had them as well. My wife's 05 Vector doesn't have one.
I wish they were still on them.

Not all past Yam's have had the pin. RX never had it from the first year. I also know that my buddy's 98Vmax600 doesn't have one. There is NO HOLE in the bar in which to put one.

This is definitely a DEALER PREP problem (unless you had it apart for some reason). They failed to tighten the nut and should be held accountable. Track tension (and thus axle nut) is the dealer's responsibility.

I'm going back to the dealer and see what his take on it is. I didn't touch a thing so it should have been nice and tight.

Thanks guys

puffdaddy, being I live so close to you, which dealer did you buy the sled from? Just curious. :rocks:

i have seen it happen on new sleds and old. i try to at the first rest stop on any trip take out my trusty craftsmans and check the nuts and/or bolts that hold the skid in place, axel, track tension and outer bogies just to make sure. it only takes a minute and has proven to be benificial. many times i have found some thing loose.

I'm just glad you are ok! The dealer definently has some explaining to do.

This happened to me and my Attak. Fortunately, I discovered it before too much damage was done. Dealer in Hancock solved the problem for me and said it was a dealer prep issue. Dealer at home agreeed 100% and quickly reimbursed me the money I spent.

The dealer probably forgot to tighten the nut after aligning the track.

Back