• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Back to the Apex

Don't really see the relevance in comparing an Apex with an aftermarket rear skid and aftermarket turbo.
In addition, while you were very unlucky in getting an engine with problems, it is an all-Yamaha engine, so not sure what your point is there.
Obviously the Apex has a cult-like following that will live on for a while yet, but the fact remains that if it was such an awesome sled by todays standards it would still be selling huge numbers.
But it isn't. So they quit making it.

There is truth in that but by the same standards if the Cats where selling in great numbers why is it spring order only? Sales are down across the board and Yamaha refused to do anything with the Apex other then refine. So end result Yamaha stopped building sleds alltogether and now buys a very old chassis from Cat. So the real reason the Apex is no more is because Yamaha killed it off. They did nothing to advance their brand and let it die a slow death under their watch. Now they hang onto a competitors brand and wait for it to die a slow death because of no changes and few refinements. Sadly the whole industry is in trouble.

Apex is outdated in every way. A great sled in it’s day but someday Apex users will need to consider alternative replacement sleds. The Sidewinder is the logical choice for the hp hungry rider but Yamaha has vacated the 150 to 165 hp class of riders. Skidoo offers the 900t Renegade 150hp class sled and it has been very successful and was the first 2020 sled to be built and shipped. It seems unthinkable that Yamaha did all the missionary marketing for 4s sled acceptance sold the heck out of the Apex line up and then abandoned that product niche since 2011. Very true an Apex replacement model would sell like hot cakes but just has not happened. Current model choices are step up to the heavy Sidewinder increase hp modern riding position or the doo 900t Renegade at 150hp rider forward lighter model. If you don’t like the SW Yamaha has nothing for ya. Very sad but true.

Why? Apex does everything I want it to do, still the best Yamaha on the snow.

I like the different opinions of the members on this forum that's why is a super great site, I hope I do not offend any body with some of my comments but sometimes I like to add just a little dig every now and then just to keep things interesting, that being said there is a lot of smart cookies on this site with talent and knowledge like no other I have seen when it comes to sleds and has helped me out many times, cheers!!

There is nothing wrong with most of these conversations, (Apex/Viper/Winder) however to come on here and push brand X on a Yamaha sponsored website just is not right. If you bought brand X then move on to their Forums!

There is nothing wrong with most of these conversations, (Apex/Viper/Winder) however to come on here and push brand X on a Yamaha sponsored website just is not right. If you bought brand X then move on to their Forums!
If you’re directing your comments to me I still luv all things Yamaha and I didn’t know members were forbidden to own competitve products. In that case 90% of the membership would be gone. Lol. No one is pushing competitive products on anyone just discussing the pro and cons of the market now that the Apex has been discontinued. Chasing members away for discussing their experience with both brand x and Yamaha is silly. This winter season will tell me
a lot regarding the 900t I bought in March and Im happy to share my experiences. Who knows I might hate it if it proves to be problematic compared to my Apex xtx stay tuned lots more seat time yet to come this season.

If you’re directing your comments to me I still luv all things Yamaha and I didn’t know members were forbidden to own competitve products. In that case 90% of the membership would be gone. Lol. No one is pushing competitive products on anyone just discussing the pro and cons of the market now that the Apex has been discontinued. Chasing members away for discussing their experience with both brand x and Yamaha is silly. This winter season will tell me
a lot regarding the 900t I bought in March and Im happy to share my experiences. Who knows I might hate it if it proves to be problematic compared to my Apex xtx stay tuned lots more seat time yet to come this season.
So reply once and move on! Think about it you haven’t even gotten a year on your Doo. Report back in 10-15000 mi and a few seasons for a realistic comparison. That’s why most buy Yamaha. For the long haul.

So reply once and move on! Think about it you haven’t even gotten a year on your Doo. Report back in 10-15000 mi and a few seasons for a realistic comparison. That’s why most buy Yamaha. For the long haul.
Totally my intention and exactly why I bought Yamaha sleds since 2007. Doo has features but no idea about reliability thus far. If Yamaha backfills the Apex market niche I’m in for sure just couldn’t wait any longer. Also you should know I’m a high mileage rider so it won’t take long to build mileage. I put 900 miles on the 900t in 10 days then the March thaw got me.

I do own both a sidewinder ltx le and a 2012 apex XTX. when I got the apex XTX it was an upgrade from my GT and I thought it was the greatest sled on snow and at the time it probably was I could ride harder and longer with little to no fatigue it didn't ring my bell if it ever bottomed out like the gt would almost every trip it had noticeable more power and I loved it so much I supercharged it instead of upgrading. I loved it even more with the supercharger I could pass everything but a gas station. it handled well cornered on rails and had power steering to boot. however I put $1700.00 into it before it hit the snow for its first season just to make it what I felt was acceptable ridding condition or if you will min it should have been from the factory. I continued to invest more into it over the years and the added the super charger used to it all told I had $25,000 invested including the purchase price of 13,700 to make it be what I felt was the perfect trail monster for me. that lasted two seasons with the SC and they were not trouble free in fact 3/4 of the way through the second season the SC lost oil and it went down first time I ever had to call for a trailer riding Yamaha (not that it was Yamahas fault the SC went down). I removed the SC and it was back up and running. I decided that I wanted the power back but I wanted it with a warranty from the factory so I decided to buy the sidewinder but I kept the apex because I was not sure if I could trust the "Cat DNA" or if I would even be happy with it. I brought both sleds on every trip the last two years and told myself I would ride both and decide what I preferred. the sidewinder got a set of hand guards I grip screw in studs and cat skis all in I spent $500.00 making it how I like it I am certain I will keep adding but from here it is for fun not need. it has close to the same HP as the SC apex had and with a small tune it will have more it is unreal the way it handles the terrain on even the XTX I would jar my spine and have a sore back up in my mid to upper area but it was nothing like the low back issues from the mono. on the sidewinder I have yet to have a sore spine at all. I have rode harder and longer than even the XTX it just doesn't jar the spine at all. the power is more smooth the seating positon from the factory is great and with suspension adjustment and different skis it handles on rails as well. I have forced myself to ride the apex a few times and every time I do even with all the upgrades I did to it, it just feels like so much less of a sled still fun to ride but given the choice I take the sidewinder every time. My son is very happy to ride the apex as it is now almost solely his sled and is a huge upgrade from his 1991 Phazer. so I am still glad I kept it for him. Is the sidewinder without issues? No not at all it took me 5 belts to finally figure out how to make them last over 500 miles but thanks to this site we got it going great. I also had to remove the fuse box and do a better job of protecting the wires and thanks to this site I knew it was a concern and fixed it before it was a problem. my chain case has had no issues so far thankfully and because of this site I know that when I do my fall maintenance I will be addressing the issue and because of this site I know exactly what to do for a no cost repair. and the bearing on the drive shaft so far I haven't had issue that I am aware of but again because of this site I know there is potential for an issue there and I will be checking it and most likely either way do the set screw solution to it that is an almost zero cost repair. on the apex I had to do something about hyfax wear the solution was expensive duponts that in that sled wore at the rate of standard hyfax in other sleds or oversized wheels and the came at a price too. I did both eventually and am very happy with that result but spent close to $300 to make it work correctly. the apex is know for the bearing by the speed sensor to get rusty and fail prematurely and take out the speed sensor again thanks to this site a little zero cost PM keeps it from failing but many did have a ride end from it who didn't know and is why I mention it. the apex has donuts that still fail and if left unchecked crack headers that the common person has no resources to have them fixed because they are titanium and the replacement is in the 3000 range there or aftermarket for around 1500 either way expensive repair. the apex has rails that are prone to cracking and the apex has a suspension that if you don't spend money to have shocks re-valve or a star suspension kit or something of the sort it rides like a lumber wagon but can handle its own it the rough stuff well. So is either sled perfect no is one more reliable then the other not really the apex has been around so long the we forget we all learned how to make it reliable because of this site or life experience with it. the benefit of it being almost the same sled for 13 years and even longer if you count the rx1 that was very similar in many was is it seems more reliable then it is because we all know how to make them that way. Bottom line choice between the two for me starting new bone stock with both I will have less into the sidewinder and have factory reliable power by not adding aftermarket SC/turbo and a more comfortable sled. FOR ME !! the sidewinder is my choice. To each their own but the fact is no sled is perfect or deserves God like status I can find you just as many horror stories about the apex as the sidewinder. I also think it would be nice if Yamaha would make a stand in the 150-180 hp market to keep more market share and fill the want for the Yamaha faithful.

My Apex got a Star kit, 500 bucks. My choice of carbide and sliders. I find it to be the perfect sled. No issues at all. I rode the Cat chassis and did not like it, I had to sit on the back of the seat that is not really a seat. It kept tossing me forward on every bump and had Zero wind protection. It rode not bad but the cornering was horrible. I just like the EPS and the tipped rail 144 and that engine is sweet. I like there is no turbo and I can run regular gas if I need to. For me the Apex is my choice. I think it will last another 10 years by then I'll be to old and crippled to ride anyway.

My Apex got a Star kit, 500 bucks. My choice of carbide and sliders. I find it to be the perfect sled. No issues at all. I rode the Cat chassis and did not like it, I had to sit on the back of the seat that is not really a seat. It kept tossing me forward on every bump and had Zero wind protection. It rode not bad but the cornering was horrible. I just like the EPS and the tipped rail 144 and that engine is sweet. I like there is no turbo and I can run regular gas if I need to. For me the Apex is my choice. I think it will last another 10 years by then I'll be to old and crippled to ride anyway.

Wonderful!! I’m glad you both are happy!!

I am very glad you are happy with your sled. FYI I can run 87 octane in my sidewinder too if I want I choose not to on any of my toys but I can. even on a larger tune you can until you get way up there in tunes do you have to run premium but is always recommended. I still love my apex xtx still have it just don't put any miles on it. for me the SW is a better fit. for my son he is happy as can be to ride a 2012 apex xtx that his dad already invested all the money into. I doubt I will ever get rid of my apex I certainly hope the same for the SW I don't think it will have issues that would make me get rid of it but it is only a few years old and longevity is not yet known. if it holds up I will keep it too and maybe be done buying sleds for some time to come.

Back