• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

bent heat exchanger! now what?

dave_dj1

Pro
I was changing the sliders on my 07 Apex ER tonight when i looked up to take the screw out that holds the hyfax on and my front heat exchanger has a pretty good curve to it, with sort of a V just left of center in the thin aluminum just behind the plate you remove when changing the oil. I have no idea when this happend or how..( i do recall hitting a rock on the trail new years day). I did not see any visible signs of anything leaking.
I guess my question is this...should i just run it like this the rest of the winter? and if not, how difficult and expensive is it to change?
I should mention that i do have full insurance on the sled so would this be coverd as an accident?
thanks,
dave

also i am pretty mechanicaly inclined and have a well equipped shop.

Well if you hit something new years day and no over hear light came on. You may still be OK.....

My guess is may snow/ice fell from teh tunnel and onto the track and you drove forward after stopping and jammed a hard piece in there and it came through.

I guess if your not over heating, and NOT leaking. You may not have bent anything than the heat sinks on the outside.

I should add.... make sure your coolers on your running boards are getting hot.

Meaning its circulating coolant.

I've ridden it since and it seems to be fine, it deffinately wasn't ice as the hit was from the front, it crinkled the piece of subframe right under the heat exchanger. I guess i'll run it and see what happens.
thanks for the responses.

i did one this fall, took me about 8hours including dinner and redoing a bunch of bushings and alot of talking. with real effort, you could cut it down to 4.

way better than the two stroke sleds, you dont need to remove the motor.

Replacing Front Heat exchanger

BETHEVIPER said:
i did one this fall, took me about 8hours including dinner and redoing a bunch of bushings and alot of talking. with real effort, you could cut it down to 4.

way better than the two stroke sleds, you dont need to remove the motor.

Just got towed back from way up North last night. Put a rock through the front heat exchanger and lost all coolant instantly! So I have to replace the whole front exchanger. Whats involed? track has to come out no doubt? Any info appreciated.
Mark

Back