• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Header Heat Shield Failures??

IMO the problem is that the far end, closest to the tunnel, isn’t connected anything. So it vibrates, moved around, and eventually cracks around the bolts that mount to the header. The viper design makes a lot more sense.

IMO the problem is that the far end, closest to the tunnel, isn’t connected anything. So it vibrates, moved around, and eventually cracks around the bolts that mount to the header. The viper design makes a lot more sense.
The viper is fixed to the chassis only, while the winder is fixed soley to the mid pipe. Due to expansion/contraction of that mid pipe the shield can't be tied into chassis or it would crack much quicker. I'm exploring possibility of a chassis mounted shield like the viper.

The viper is fixed to the chassis only, while the winder is fixed soley to the mid pipe. Due to expansion/contraction of that mid pipe the shield can't be tied into chassis or it would crack much quicker. I'm exploring possibility of a chassis mounted shield like the viper
Yeah ok makes sense. So essentially it can either be attached to chassis or attached to mid-pipe. Not both.

The viper is fixed to the chassis only, while the winder is fixed soley to the mid pipe. Due to expansion/contraction of that mid pipe the shield can't be tied into chassis or it would crack much quicker. I'm exploring possibility of a chassis mounted shield like the viper.
Hopefully whatever you come up with will work with a header as well!

Do you have to craft something up yourself if you have the aftermarket headers? Feel free to post up some pictures so I can get a visual on the header layout. Can certainly try to make something universal to work with the headers.

Do you have to craft something up yourself if you have the aftermarket headers? Feel free to post up some pictures so I can get a visual on the header layout. Can certainly try to make something universal to work with the headers.
Here is a thread that has good pics re header on Sidewinder

More header pics here

Get after it Travis!

My belt now last longer than a factory heat shield! Over 1700 miles on my XS825 now running on the big tune! Thats a record for me, but that factory heat shield, oh boy, it literally has more bandaids on it than Evel Knievel ever had.

Things like this will start to crack when engine vibration gets to a certain level.
Sounds like it's time to replace the primary clutch stub shaft bearings.
Worn bearings will cause an imbalance in harmonics.
This heat shield last many years.
Anyone replace both stub shaft bearings yet?

Things like this will start to crack when engine vibration gets to a certain level.
That’s a good point, I’ve had mine last around 10k Kms before the mounting washers egged out.

But I do like the idea Travis is coming up with. The more protection from heat or a flex joint cracking the better.

Last edited:

I don't believe it has anything to do with stub shaft bearings. I have installed a tighter tolerance outboard bearing in the stub shaft. I do believe it is related more to the vibration of the exhaust system and when parts there get changed like headers ect.

My original shield last for years, but this second shield is thin and flimsy as foil. It is in fact delaminating just like tinfoil. The puny "mounting washer points" have small shoulders on them, and before you know it, they fall away from the shield vibrating and delaminating. Ive seen the original stainless shields come thru here and they are in great shape, not sure they were not a better option for shielding right from the get go.

There's more than one?

Back