• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Bent subframe or A-Arm??

maniac said:
are the sub frames that weak come on thats scary i have looked at mine every time i see this posted i have 9600km on mine is it that everyone that bends them are really hard riders or what
you're welcome to come this far south and see how it holds up, 6" is about as deep as I've seen it this year. doesn't take much of a rock with the weight and ski pressure of these

Trust me you will need a front clip i have changed many of them. if you dont change it the sled will never handle right.

I have an 08 which is the weakest of the bunch. My bud has an 09 and you can tell there's way less metal in the 08 front end. Both of us pound the piss outta our sleds and I've caught things under the snow that made me cringe and expected to see some bent framige. Nothing YET!

I think the weak frame thing is a little overplayed, just like the 08 handling issue's.

Is it any wonder that I'm hoping Cat drops a suzuki triple similar to the Nytro motor in their new sno pro chassis?? Cause if they do I will own my first Cat.

maniac said:
are the sub frames that weak come on thats scary i have looked at mine every time i see this posted i have 9600km on mine is it that everyone that bends them are really hard riders or what
I hit a rock on the yamaha skid plate pretty hard and I know now It definately takes a pretty good hit to bend them. Don't get me wrong the sled is still drivable and the only reason I am bending it back is I am a little anal about my stuff. it has to look good before I ride it. I rode 700 miles in Aroostic county in Maine last weekend and the sled performed flawlessly the way it is. No compliants about the skid frame seeing as though I did it myself. Oh by the way I now have 4500 miles on the girl. So now I know you have to hit something before you bend something. This applies to any sled made!!!!!!!

well thanks everyone i feel better now you pretty much have to hit something really hard or land really bad off of a big air jump and no sled will take that abuse

Add me to the crowd with a bend somewhere. For the guys that have had it, please let me know if it looks like one side pushes back with pushes the other side forward, along with changing the angle of both skis due to the rear part of the lower A Arm getting pushed from impact. I hit a stump and pushed that side in......and it seemed to push the other side forward. Anyways, let me know if that's the same, and let me know the Kawasaki results, I may try Honda izing it tonight!

You can also see the impact side has the spring almost resting on the top arm due to the lower being the one that got pushed.

Crapola! :o|

bbydan said:
Trust me you will need a front clip i have changed many of them. if you dont change it the sled will never handle right.

I'm assuming this is the S Shaped clip between the bar and lower A?

Last sunday I was riding with a small group of guys. At one point in the trail there was a section of plowed road. We always try to keep slow and close to the bank to keep snow kicked up, the center of the road was mostly dirt and ice. My ski caught something under the snow at the edge doing aprox 15mph and snubbed me enough to throw me partially off to one side of the sled. After coming to a stop I found the right hand shock was pushed back aprox 1/8-1/4 from center. However, after doing a closer examination I can't find anything bent, or in the case of the `09 subframe, no warpage of the bottom plate. Guess I will just bend it back as carefully as possible and call it good but it just bugs me that I can't see the spot it bent. They don't stay new forever!

I'm half way back, don't know how long term stuff will go, but changed out my stock skis to C&A Razors tonght and it's within a 1/4" and will try and get this flush....I'll keep this posted

I can not for the world of me find any form of crease......it looks like there was not proper spacing on the A arms, example being pinched and slightly cocked in it's mounting bolt.

After bending, now have clearance on the one shock, and opposite shock almost right on. The one that hit is probably 1/4" off at this point.

I also had to reduce length of steering control rod due to this to line skis up.

I believe it to be rideable, at least til the end of the year.

Yeah, it's probably bent right where the lower A arm bolts right to the subframe. The bolt hole could be elongated as well. Double check and tighten your mounting points on all A arms.

Gilbey said:
Add me to the crowd with a bend somewhere. For the guys that have had it, please let me know if it looks like one side pushes back with pushes the other side forward, along with changing the angle of both skis due to the rear part of the lower A Arm getting pushed from impact. I hit a stump and pushed that side in......and it seemed to push the other side forward. Anyways, let me know if that's the same, and let me know the Kawasaki results, I may try Honda izing it tonight!

You can also see the impact side has the spring almost resting on the top arm due to the lower being the one that got pushed.

Crapola! :o|

Yes Mine is the same way hit a rock on right ski at about 25 mph.The right ski is pushed back about 6 inches from the other.the right spindle is leaning back and the left is foward.It did not bend any of the arms.After taking the sub frame off it is wacked hard!!!

Anyone know where to find a sub frame they are on back order!!! Part# 8GL-21940-02-00 any help would be great i need to ride!!

Their probably just tool'n up for the 2011 model I was told by Yamacorp they don't necessarily make the new parts different just to make them stronger... LOL they just change the design 3 times cuz they got nuttn better ta do with their pencils...

Back