• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Best skid plate?

dfinn

Extreme
I can't seem to find out much info about skid plates for the MTX. The 2 that google turned up are the Skinz one and the Yamaha one. It sounds like the Yamaha one requires some "sport" bumper which some people aren't a fan of. Is the Skinz float plate the best option out there?

Not a lot of info in those threads but I think I'm leaning towards the Skinz float plate. My question is are people just running that without anything underneath it? I currently have nothing under there, my block and oil filter are completely exposed. Can I get away with just ordering the float plate or is there a smaller factory yamaha skid that needs to get installed under it?

I would run the stock small yamaha skid plate and a skinz skid plate or yamaha one. It will just add another layer between a rock and your oil pan. Plus the stock small skid plate has metal braces in it to add further protection.

Albertanytrofan said:
I have been running the Yamaha skid plate for 2 years now. have the stock plate under that as well. i drilled some 3/4'' holes (4) in the skid plate to drain the water.

Does that require also buying a new bumper?

dfinn said:
Albertanytrofan said:
I have been running the Yamaha skid plate for 2 years now. have the stock plate under that as well. i drilled some 3/4'' holes (4) in the skid plate to drain the water.

Does that require also buying a new bumper?
No..purchased the skid from Yammy dealer... 6 bolts a little drilling and whamo...it fits right inside the stock bumper on the front..don't know about this sports bumper??..is that some after market thing??...don't think I would even consider going without...all them rocks, stumps and sometimes even them trees will get in your way...!!!

Skinz Float Plate

Run the Skinz float plate on the stock bumper.

Use two U-bolts (from Home Depot) on the front instead of the stock Skinz Hardware-- on some posts you will read about the skid plate building up ice and popping off.

Also put 4 MASSIVE fender washers on the 4 bolts that bolt underneath.

Did not drill any "drain" holes or the cut out the optional hole that Skinz sends a template for.

Have built a small iceberg under there at times but skid plate does not appear to be going anywhere...

Nothing Wrong with the Yammi Skid, been running them for years. Cheap Insurance. Which ever one you choose it is money well spent. I just had mine of for a oil change, and it has even more scrapes and dings than the last time. Glad it was there. imo

thanks guys. just placed my order for the yamaha skid. dealer said it's just thick plastic. for some reason I was assuming it would be aluminum.

Roest Racing is almost ready to release their skidplates for the Nytro. Available in aluminum and UHMW. OEM fit with great fastening. Should be available in about 2 weeks.

So I picked up what Yamaha calls the "Protector" plate tonight from my local shop. Shop dude says it's supposed to be held in by rivets. I've never dealt with rivets before. I've got a couple questions.

Do I need to buy the Yamaha specific rivets or can I find them somewhere else cheaper? If I can just go and buy them anywhere, what size should I be using?

I don't have a rivet gun. Can I go to somewhere like Harbor Freight and pick up a cheap one that will get the job done?

Sorry for all the questions and I really appreciate the help.

Dan

You can pick up a rivet gun from harbor F. you can get a air powered one or a simple manual one. You usually can pick up one from a hardware store. You also can get rivets from your local hardware store. I don't have any experience with this skid plate, but for the size I would think about three things. Make sure the rivets are long enough and they fit the hole diameter tightly. The final thing to look at is the head of the rivet, the part that looks like a washer. Just make sure it is big enough it won't pull throught the plastic.

After taking it apart and getting a closer look it doesn't seem like rivets would be the best and it would make it a pain to change the oil and whatnot. It definitely showed rivets on the computer in the parts dept.

Where do the threaded inserts go that you were using? It looks like I may be able to get away with regular nuts and bolts to make it work.

Back