• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Blow-offs and bypasses

insane

Expert
I know this topic has been beaten half to death if not dead, but I would like to clear up myths and rumors and get facts on these subjects for all of the boosted owners. Please keep the opninions back until we get all of the fundamentals with operation and installation behind us. I know this sounds like I am making a big deal of this, but getting straight forward answers has been like pulling teeth. There seems to be some sort of conspiracy to keep this knowledge to a select few :tg: lol. I took my vortech apart and it seems to me when the butterflies are open the boost and spring tension keep the piston in the bov closed then when the butterflies close the vacuum pulls the piston back and releases pressure. Now my question is what is the proper way to set the spring tension with the set screw to ensure that the bov is not opening while under boost and throttle so that you do not loose boost. I know I was loosing boost because I cranked mine closed and I gained 2-3 psi as I am running 13-14 psi and before I was at 10-11. I have backed it out and seem to be close, but I would like to have a method to use to ensure proper operation rather than guessing. Now the mpi bov is similar but it has two nipples on the bov versus one on the vortech, and I have no idea why and how that works. It seems that there is alot of confusion out there on how these important components work and I think we all should understand the operation because the consequences of failure can be catastrophic to our very expensive power-plants. This is just on the s/c side of boost. I think there should be a thread started for the turbo application as well. Thanks for the help. :rocks:

I have been struggling with the install of my vortec all season. very lean on transition from vac to boost. does spring setting adjust sensitivity ???
Afr of 17-18 at 0 boost :o|

Carbs with 125 mains.20 pilots fs @ 3turns out, needle lowest (rich.)
Afr's 11 idle,17-18 @ 0 boost, 13.5 @ 2 lbs down to 10.5 @ wot 10lbs. goes very lean when backing out of throttle to vac.

Back