• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Blowing Throttle Bodies Off!!!

bklynantnee

Veteran
Tried 4 damn times! cut the spacers on the clamps in half and cleaned everything with carb cleaner. blow off valve seems to be working. I can here it. Any ideas???

take those spacers out of the clamps and make some brackets to bolt your intercooler directly to the delta box and make sure your bov valve is working properly

I use a piece of braded steel wire run through some small blue fuel line (for looks and to protect the innercooler) with one end bolted and a turn buckle on the other for adjustment. Just dont tighten too tight as I cracked my cooler a few weeks back. so now I run it looser. just has to not let them back off.
Also use hair spray on the connections when you assemble. it does help ( lubes them going togather too)

I've got tabs welded to the sides of my intercooler, with bolts to the top of the Delta Box. If you go that route, and it works, just be sure to put them in parallel to the direction of the throttle bodies so the pressure isn't putting a twist on the brackets, it could cause some cracking.

What BOV are you using, and how do you have it set? Sound's to me like you may have it set a little off, or your valve pressure is too high?

Wish I could say I knew the MPI valves, I run an HKS. I do think they operate similar though.
Do you have a boost gauge? Watch the gauge when you suspect the problem, and if it spikes really high (obvious) make sure the BOV is getting it's pressure reference from the correct port on the throttle body, and see if you can tell how high it reads before it flies apart! :) (sorry!)
The reason I say that is - I know mine will make the typical BOV sound even when riding slowly, and not making boost, but it's a two-step valve, so if the low side is working fine, the high side may still have a problem with either how the reference tubes are connected, or possibly a damaged/worn/incorrect part internally in the valve.
My vote is an issue with the valve.

You may consider buying an extra valve, a Vortech would do nicely, it dumps pressure very fast, if your running high boost a TiAL Q 50mm valve would work. I run both a Vortech 38 mm and a TiAL Q 50 mm at 22 lbs of boost, no problem with IC blowing off. You gotta get rid of the pressure fast when you let off throttle, you need more dump capasity.

Back