• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Burnt sidewinder on trail.

GAS

Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2017 Sidewinder RTX, TD SQ exhaust, TD tune bundle. Dash flash, TD/Dalton clutch kit, 225, 1.57 mega bit studs. Pilot skis.
Came across this sidewinder burning on trail 19 yesterday in northern New Brunswick. Canada.
IMG_0825.JPG

My guess would be oil leak onto exhaust. Happened to one local last year. They thought an oil line/fitting leaked onto the exhaust and ignited. was not as bad as this pic though. They were able to put it out but still got totaled by insurance.
Turbo and exhaust run very hot on these. Ran mine until dark during a past ride, we were racing to the truck/trailer, just off an on for a 3 -4 mile stretch as the trail would allow, no big long pulls. When we arrived and parked the sled and then walked over to the truck to unlock and start, my buddy said, "look at how hot your muffler is, it is glowing red onto the snow under it". So the inside of the muffler was red hot.

Lol

Easy for me to laugh.
It wasn’t mine. Had to be a bummer.
I mean what to do, leave it and get a plastic pull behind to bring it back to dealer for insurance estimate???

Now that is a BAD day on the trail.
Hopefully, and doesnt appear anyone is hurt, he is fine.

My guess would be oil leak onto exhaust. Happened to one local last year. They thought an oil line/fitting leaked onto the exhaust and ignited. was not as bad as this pic though. They were able to put it out but still got totaled by insurance.
Turbo and exhaust run very hot on these. Ran mine until dark during a past ride, we were racing to the truck/trailer, just off an on for a 3 -4 mile stretch as the trail would allow, no big long pulls. When we arrived and parked the sled and then walked over to the truck to unlock and start, my buddy said, "look at how hot your muffler is, it is glowing red onto the snow under it". So the inside of the muffler was red hot.
Yes,Dennis,when I picked my 2013 cat procross turbo cat at Houlton powersports in Houlton,thank GOD I was out on there field running up some miles on there fresh 4" that covered there field,enough to keep it cool and feel the power,well about the 12th mile,i felt my right foot slip,i thought that's funny,why would my foor slip in foot well,so stopped looked,it appeared to be oil,will I thought maybe they had added oil and somehow got some on running board,well another mile around,and now I see smoke coming out of RH side,stopped ripped sidecover off to find the oil line that went over the top of muffler,had a small rubber hose that had slid off its connection,since there hose was to short and the small green compression clamp could not hold it,it slid off and the pressure from case was dripping oil directly on top of very hot muffler. Man glad I was on there property,and not along out in the woods some night,when it came off. So I limped it back into there bay where there mechanic was working,i went over to hardware store bought a section of heater hose on there dime,and had them repair it,and take pics to send to Cat,so they could fix it,but you know the answer to the story,they did not fix it,and was the only one of its kind ha ha what a BS story. Sorry to hear this kind of thing can still happen in 2018 on new motor and revampted oil line return.

Worst part of this pic is the Tuner skis are the only thing that survived...

Sorry for the owner, hope he was insured.

Skis are the best part of that sled!

Oh $hit!
Did they know a cause?
They were thinking an oil leak from oil tank. He heard a loud pop, thought it was belt, when he opened side panel on clutch he saw the fire on exhaust side. Not much to do after that, crack a few and watch it burn. only took 30 min to burn right down.

a friend from work showed me a video last week of his friends sidewinder on fire in mass city michigan, i sure hope this isn't becoming common as i am looking at buying one!

So
Yes,Dennis,when I picked my 2013 cat procross turbo cat at Houlton powersports in Houlton,thank GOD I was out on there field running up some miles on there fresh 4" that covered there field,enough to keep it cool and feel the power,well about the 12th mile,i felt my right foot slip,i thought that's funny,why would my foor slip in foot well,so stopped looked,it appeared to be oil,will I thought maybe they had added oil and somehow got some on running board,well another mile around,and now I see smoke coming out of RH side,stopped ripped sidecover off to find the oil line that went over the top of muffler,had a small rubber hose that had slid off its connection,since there hose was to short and the small green compression clamp could not hold it,it slid off and the pressure from case was dripping oil directly on top of very hot muffler. Man glad I was on there property,and not along out in the woods some night,when it came off. So I limped it back into there bay where there mechanic was working,i went over to hardware store bought a section of heater hose on there dime,and had them repair it,and take pics to send to Cat,so they could fix it,but you know the answer to the story,they did not fix it,and was the only one of its kind ha ha what a BS story. Sorry to hear this kind of thing can still happen in 2018 on new motor and revampted oil line return.

Sounds like that same thing could have happened to you Pete.

I realize how hot these winders get when you turn them on the way I do. So I do a lot of after ride checks and maintenance, making sure to keep it clean under the motor, you know, no belt pieces or oil, and just checking for leaks Incase.

Back