• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Busted chaincase!!

klondike22

Extreme
Country
USA
Snowmobile
15 SR Viper LTX SE
At 1400 miles, while cruising some trails at 40 or so, I heard sharp increase in the noisy clutch noise (that has always been there), then some metallic unnatural sounds, then a super nasty scrunch racket and the track locked up and a quick stop....after some vulgar language, I realized the chaincase had a hole busted out in the bottom near the oil sight glass, oil on the trail, pieces of chain on the running boards. Lucky I was riding with a friend. Dealer has it now and will try to get me back up and out in a couple days! Good thing I have warranty!

Dont forget about :

TRIP benefit.

Y.E.S. coverage automatically includes TRIP — Travel and Recreation Interruption Protection that's in effect from the date of Y.E.S. plan purchase, even during the factory warranty period. With TRIP, expenses related to a covered failure can be covered as well, up to $150 per occurrence. This means unexpected food or lodging expenses, transportation expenses, even a rental vehicle can be covered - and that's each time you have a covered warranty or Y.E.S. repair.

I was at the dealers today... the upper bearing had failed- pieces flew around inside chaincase , busted the chain apart andtore the case open on the bottom...pieces lodged in the lower gear locking the track. Under warranty, but right now is the best riding of the year! I better look into the YES business for the future!!

I never said they did make their own bearings.
I just stated that arctic cat is the number one chaincase failure brand.
My brother lost his on a ext580, and his buddy lost his on a pantera. Only other sled ive ever heard of a chaincase going on was a polaris. Personal experiance, no internet hearsay.
7k miles on the nytro with a broken bolt in the chaincase and it didnt grenade.
case closed.

I remember a lot of Apex chaincase failures also way back. Do I like that wobble bearing? NO. Plan to put a better one in there this spring. Maybe Yamaha will do same. Point is we can't worry about everything. Some do fail many don't. Hopefully Yamaha takes care of those who have failure. I suspect they will. Sorry if it ruined your trip.

I've bought 20 new sleds since 1971 and have never been left stranded by a chaincase blowing up. Hopefully there's only a few defective ones out there. From the recent tones, hopefully you won't get any replies here from the sensitive Yamakumbaya sunshine crowd that letting people know about the chaincase problem is bashing and you should buy another brand.

Back