• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

chain case leak

brad d

Extreme
I took apart my 07 today to change the filter and to lock up the starter bolts... it has 1000miles on it and after i ran it once (just picked it up this fall) i seen some oil on my shop floor under it.

so i thought it could be the filter or pressure sender... but it looks like it is comming from high up in the back of the chain case. the air box was dry.

i took this pic

utf-8BSU1HMDAzMDMtMjAxMTEyMTMtMjI0MC5qcGc.jpg

now can i put the front end back on and get to this from the side? i dont think its the motor, its pretty dry even up by the valve cover gasket

I dont have reverse but isnt there a tube that goes from reverse case to chaincase which can be out of place?

yea there is a tube that feed the secondary something or other, or like me he has a cracked frame and thats doing it

Did you spin the track while it was running? I'm not sure if the chaincase would leak just with the engine idling. If the track was spinning it could be the jackshaft seal or it could be a pinched chaincase gasket that only leaks when the chain kicks oil at it.

on mine the previous owner hit a rock on the main frame and snapped the bottom bolt of the chain case cover and it started leaking there just put a new bolt in and it was fine.

the part of the case on the outside of the sled looks dry, its comming from up top and on the back side of the aluminum frame.

It does not leak from just sitting there, it leaks only after i took it for spin

Look at the breather and other hose coming off the airbox. It has caught me on both my phazer and vector by leaking oil. I freaked and it was just a hose that came off. Simple fix.

when i pull the tank off i will have a better look..

it looks and smells like motor oil, but at this point the motor looks dry.

the hose on the air box looked dry

There is a grommet that sits in the back side of the chain case. We have seen about a dozen of them leak. The part number is 90480-10012-00 or on the "track drive 2" parts fiche it is part 74.

If you have reverse. I have yet to see a non reverse model leak yet.

yeah im replacing that little seal and the oring for the reverse box that mates into the chain case.. and for the 13 bucks i will do the big complex seal on the case lid as well.

just need a fancy puller to get that bearing out of the bulk head, so i can get the reverse box out :o|

Yamaha has a tech tip or bulletin on the chaincase leak. There is a little barrel type seal between the chaincase and reverse case and on some of the phazer's they didn't get lined up properly which caused them to leak while riding down the trail. All you have to do is realign the two cases and replace the seal.

so you have to align it with a dowel or something? its where the reverse box bolts upto the bulk head right? that little rubber tube that the oil feeder goes into.

brad d said:
so you have to align it with a dowel or something? its where the reverse box bolts upto the bulk head right? that little rubber tube that the oil feeder goes into.

Yes that would be the one. I had the same leak on my sled. It took me awhile one summer to find where the damn oil was coming from. I new it was chaincase oil but it was hard to pinpoint were.

I was going to swap out the O-ring as well.. but i have to get that whole gearbox and shaft out to do so.. and i need a fancy puller to get the one bearing out.. Im not too sure if i just want to put the whole works back in and just replace that grommet seal..

Back