• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Chain case upper gear bushing!

DennyTuna

RIP-Logan-Dylan-Never forgotten!
Country
USA
Snowmobile
18 Winder LTX 50th
16 SR Viper RTX (red)
02 SX Viper ER (red)
97 SX Vmax 600 (red)
There's a lot of chatter in the sidewinder section of chain case failures, I'm one of them. I also have a 16 Viper and there are 3 other Vipers in our group. These chain case and drive systems are the same basically on the Vipers and Sidewinders. Two of Vipers are close to 9000 miles so it got me thinking.....how many guys have seen the chain case failures with there Vipers? Is this a common problem associated with the Viper platform as well? There seems to be two major issues...1, the upper gear bushing is wearing out and 2, the screw for the roller tensioner is backing out (loosening). Just haven't seen much chatter in the Viper section in regards to these problems so I thought I would put this out there.

Mine failed at around 4.5k miles. I was told by one shop that did the repair that someone used an oil that was too thick when it was changed previously and that the lubrication was an issue. Not sure I believed them but I needed the repair done and they were the only option at the time. I am now at 11.3k miles, chain case seems ok as I'm having the oil done and the case looked at every season. I run a turbo 190 MPI 129" with studs. Not sure it matters but the heat at the time of the failure seemed excessive under the hood. I have since added a lot of venting and evacuated most of the excess heat generated by the addition of the turbo.
I had a conversation with a very good mechanic at a different shop. I was told that the chain case in the Viper and SW platform is not like the chain cases from the Apex and others in the Yamaha line. Our chain cases need regular maintenance and an oil change at least once a season. I was also told that the failure I had was very common and probably had nothing to do with the oil and more to do with lack of attention to routine maintenance.
As far as I can tell from the info I have gained from researching the same question you posed. Have the chain case opened up and serviced at 4k miles or at least once a year witch ever comes first.

Just one persons experience........

Mine failed at around 4.5k miles. I was told by one shop that did the repair that someone used an oil that was too thick when it was changed previously and that the lubrication was an issue. Not sure I believed them but I needed the repair done and they were the only option at the time. I am now at 11.3k miles, chain case seems ok as I'm having the oil done and the case looked at every season. I run a turbo 190 MPI 129" with studs. Not sure it matters but the heat at the time of the failure seemed excessive under the hood. I have since added a lot of venting and evacuated most of the excess heat generated by the addition of the turbo.
I had a conversation with a very good mechanic at a different shop. I was told that the chain case in the Viper and SW platform is not like the chain cases from the Apex and others in the Yamaha line. Our chain cases need regular maintenance and an oil change at least once a season. I was also told that the failure I had was very common and probably had nothing to do with the oil and more to do with lack of attention to routine maintenance.
As far as I can tell from the info I have gained from researching the same question you posed. Have the chain case opened up and serviced at 4k miles or at least once a year witch ever comes first.

Just one persons experience........
The chaincases are totally different than the other Yamahas because it's an Arctic Cat Procross chassis that the Viper and Sidewinder arebuilt on. Plus, a lot if people are adjusting the chaincase tension wrong. Like Cannondale says, read the FAQs. Tons of great info.

The chaincases are totally different than the other Yamahas because it's an Arctic Cat Procross chassis that the Viper and Sidewinder arebuilt on. Plus, a lot if people are adjusting the chaincase tension wrong. Like Cannondale says, read the FAQs. Tons of great info.
I dont buy the Tension theory. Tested it myself at every tension from 1/4turn back in 2013 for about 100ft to 1 1/2 for two seasons and lately 1 turn out. Bushing lasts me about 3000mi and then its wore measurably. So every season I replace bushing. No issues since its kept on top of.

Easy to replace bushing

20190323_163445~2.jpg

where can you get the bushing? For me the replace top 21 T gear in Canada it $100. What is the inside and out side D of the bushing?

There's a lot of chatter in the sidewinder section of chain case failures, I'm one of them. I also have a 16 Viper and there are 3 other Vipers in our group. These chain case and drive systems are the same basically on the Vipers and Sidewinders. Two of Vipers are close to 9000 miles so it got me thinking.....how many guys have seen the chain case failures with there Vipers? Is this a common problem associated with the Viper platform as well? There seems to be two major issues...1, the upper gear bushing is wearing out and 2, the screw for the roller tensioner is backing out (loosening). Just haven't seen much chatter in the Viper section in regards to these problems so I thought I would put this out there.
I've repaired a couple 14's that had the poor quality double row ball bearing at the top.
We know that they now use a better single row bearing up there. I'm not sure what year they switched.

Stock Cat bushing is GGB (Garlock bearings) 16DU14. You can also buy 16DU16 and cut length 1 mm.

SKF bushing is PCZ 1616E but you needs cut length 1 mm.

FAG bushing EGBZ 1614-E40

Last edited:
Yes same issues. Do a search and check FAQ.
I'm very aware this problem exist, my winder is at the dealer as I type this waiting for parts to rebuild the chain case. I'm also following the thread in the sidewinder section very closely. I wanted to bring awareness to the Viper section as many have newer Vipers and may not be aware of this problem with the upper gear bushing. Never hurts to let people know, also to let them know about the thread in the sidewinder section so they can educate themselves.

I'm very aware this problem exist, my winder is at the dealer as I type this waiting for parts to rebuild the chain case. I'm also following the thread in the sidewinder section very closely. I wanted to bring awareness to the Viper section as many have newer Vipers and may not be aware of this problem with the upper gear bushing. Never hurts to let people know, also to let them know about the thread in the sidewinder section so they can educate themselves.
I agree but it was my hope that by now everyone would be considering it just part of yearly maintenance. I believe this was my first go around back in 2014 in FAQ also:https://ty4stroke.com/threads/chaincase-removal-and-inspection.130877/

Back