• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Chain case upper gear bushing!

I forgot about this gear for 6000 miles and then last season had it pop out of gear once and was reminded again when it happened. I replaced before this season and have 3000 miles on the new gear so I'll be doing it again. Anyone know if these are all the same gear, not sure why there's such a difference in price. 1702-351,1702-410,1702-201
I bought 1702-351 when I replaced mine, not sure why it's twice the money. I'm riding an XTX.

This is what I think
1702-351, 21 t hard gear made for Borg Warner Hyvo
1702-410 , 24 t non Borg Warner Hyvo
1702-201 , 21 t non Borg Warner Hyvo

Is there an FAQ for suggested annual P/M for the Sr Viper? I looked and could not find one. A list of targets based on time over miles would be great.
That’s a good idea. I will work on that and put it at top of FAQ. Too much info in faq things get missed to easy.

Just replaced the bushing in the top gear of my son in law btx viper. Only 5000km and the the bushing was bad. I have never replace one before with less than 7000km .

Attachments

• gear.jpg
    gear.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 226
Yes and when our sleds were all Yamaha you never replaced anything.
I have really lost interest in these sleds. After owning 26 new Yamahas I am not feeling it anymore.

I dont buy the Tension theory. Tested it myself at every tension from 1/4turn back in 2013 for about 100ft to 1 1/2 for two seasons and lately 1 turn out. Bushing lasts me about 3000mi and then its wore measurably. So every season I replace bushing. No issues since its kept on top of.

You can believe what you want, I’m just reporting my findings. Ruined two bushings in under 1500 miles each. The only thing I changed was the chain tension, new chain, and the bushing is like new after +2000 miles with the tension loose. Same oil and everything. I didn’t retighten the chain either. I used to be fanatical about keeping the chain tension tight, maybe that made it even worse, don’t know?
There’s a reason yamaha specs the chain so loose IMO. Also the cats have zero issues with bad bushings, they have a wear pad instead of a steel roller. The wear pad is sacrificial if the tension is to tight, it wears/gives more and prevents the chain from being over tight for any length of time. Also my friend has an older f1100t that had the auto tensioner. The auto tensioner was ditched by cat because of keeping the chain to tight, wearing out wear pads in under a 2000 miles.
1.5 turns out might be a little much but I would keep it 1 turn out minimum and overfill the case slightly.
M2C

Last edited:
Cdale try this,
Replace your chain and upper gear with oil holes. Run it at 1 turn out slightly overfilled, check tension and bushing after 2000 miles. If it’s even worn a little I’ll be surprised and buy you lots of beers.

Once you over tighten the chain even once it will stretch it somewhat. Now the pitch of the chain is off and will cause it to climb in the sprocket even more.

Cheers, CM

Cdale try this,
Replace your chain and upper gear with oil holes. Run it at 1 turn out slightly overfilled, check tension and bushing after 2000 miles. If it’s even worn a little I’ll be surprised and buy you lots of beers.

Once you over tighten the chain even once it will stretch it somewhat. Now the pitch of the chain is off and will cause it to climb in the sprocket even more.

Cheers, CM
I have done exactly that last two seasons bushing is still worn by end of season.

I have done exactly that last two seasons bushing is still worn by end of season.
Well that’s exactly what I did but at 1.5 turns out and the bushing is like new @2000 miles.
I’m at 270 horsepower sometimes turned up to 300. New chain and upper gear.
:dunno:

Well that’s exactly what I did but at 1.5 turns out and the bushing is like new @2000 miles.
I’m at 270 horsepower sometimes turned up to 300. New chain and upper gear.
:dunno:
I know you did. Doesn’t mean it works for everyone. Actually I really don’t care anymore since I just replace bushing every season and have not had any chaincase failures other than actuator for 5 seasons.

Back