• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

charging problems

bearhead

Country
Canada
Snowmobile
yamaha venture rs
have 05 venture RS will not charge battery , fuses ok ,stator is reading .5,.6,&.9 resistance on white wires not sure if this ok book calls for less any help would be great.

When its running whats the voltage out put? Should be at least 14 Volts. If its not its most likely the stator.

When its running whats the voltage out put? Should be at least 14 Volts. If its not its most likely the stator.
The voltage at the battery drops to 10 -11 when it is idiling battery is good there is no other possible cause ,than the stator ,not looking forward to that job!!

Download the manual online, or ask your dealer to print off a few pages for you. Test voltage to regulator rectifier while running. If there's voltage going in its just a bad regulator.

The normal process would be to measure the battery voltage at idle and off of idle it should be greater than 13 volts. If the voltage is low then measure the resistance of the stator and if out of specs replace the stator, if in spec replace the Rectifier/Regulator. There is no test for the rect/reg. I've never read the voltage directly off the stator of a Yamaha snowmobile but that procedure also can be used to determine which component is bad. I'm not sure of the exact voltage output level of a Yamaha stator but when I'm diagnosing a Harley stator the procedure is to measure voltage output. A good Harley 3 phase stator will read around 20-30 volts on all three combinations of outputs and there's a noticeable increase in voltage with increased engine RPM . I would think the Yamaha stator test would be similar. Just remember the stator outputs AC voltage so set your meter accordingly.

Back