• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Check you limiter straps RTX

Broke both off mine in one weekend last year after about 1200 miles, got them covered under warranty and hasn't happened again.....yet.

Mikecam said:
Some have said they are getting caught in the drivers.

That is what I was think, since most are saying they are a clean break. That also explains why the guys that are raising up one 1 are not breaking them. Great point!

SledFreak said:
Maybe just a bad batch of some of them?

What I've learnt over the years with my Yamaha sleds is if I read about it here at ty4stroke.com, it WILL happen to my sled. It's just a matter of time.

Based on that (since it has been 100% accurate so far), I'd say more likely a weakness in the design somewhere and when ridden aggressively they will break.

I still suspect inadequate rebound damping with the shocks. In all my years of sledding, I've never had a sled that "springs" off bumps like my 07 RTX. This is also the first time I've ever broken a limiter strap in 30 years of sledding.

this may sound dumb but how many straps are there? I only have one in the front on my 06 rtx. I noticed when I was out on the trail it was loose, as in not draw string tight? put it in the shop and when it warms up its tight! it has a mind of its own

BarneyMN said:
this may sound dumb but how many straps are there? I only have one in the front on my 06 rtx. I noticed when I was out on the trail it was loose, as in not draw string tight? put it in the shop and when it warms up its tight! it has a mind of its own

The problem is only with the 07 RTX which uses the heavy duty ProActive CK suspension and has 2 limiter straps.

The 06 RTX has the same suspension as the regular Apex. This Monoshock suspension has only 1 limiter strap and they don't fail.

Had a look at my straps today on my 07 RTX.Looks to me like they are wearing from the ice build up.I guess the ice builds up and holds them a way that they start wearing on the track or the ice built up inside.

It's going to suck when one does break in the middle of no where and from what I can see they will break at some point.I think maybe I'll just buy a pair and keep them with me.I have 3 years of warranty I should get them for free....lol..ya right

canapex said:
It's going to suck when one does break in the middle of no where and from what I can see they will break at some point.I think maybe I'll just buy a pair and keep them with me.I have 3 years of warranty I should get them for free....lol..ya right

When they break you don't have to stop sledding right away. The steering gets screwed up (much more inside ski lift), but other than that it remains rideable.

What does happen (in my case anyway) is the lower 1/2 of the strap gets sucked under the front inner idler wheels and this quickly shreds these idler wheels.

Now I need a pair of idlers and a pair of straps...

I rode my sled a couple hundreds miles while broken. I have my sled set to transfer hard, so I didn't notice a whole bunch of difference.

Mine broke at 1900 miles. Dealer replaced under warranty. I figure they will have to be replaced once a season.

Back