• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Clutch servicing

Huge thanks to EVERYONE who assisted me in this issue. Especially StevewithOCD for coming to my driveway and spending most of a Sunday helping. And thanks to Travis at Barn full of Parts for my bulkhead repair and a reconditioned, or at least working, used primary clutch. Things seem to be working very well and I think I'm ready to ride. Check out video(s) below:

Thanks so much everyone.

Jay

And the Issue was??
So sorry, I thought I posted it: The primary was the problem. Sticking like crazy when it come to ...squeezing in and grabbing the belt, as well as not ...sliding back out to release the belt.

How did you set up the secondary, was it the primary causing that problem also?

How did you set up the secondary, was it the primary causing that problem also?
I didn't end up really touching the secondary - or changing it. When StevewithOCD came up and confirmed my first step was to get a primary clutch that functioned properly, the plan after that was to see how the sled did ...re with the secondary. I haven't gotten out to do any real driving/riding on some lengthy patches - to get the RPMs up to 10k or so to see how it performs. But, based on my years of riding my Viper and SXR700, it feels like the Apex is operating like a normal sled now.

So the primary was pulling the belt down in the secondary?

So the primary was pulling the belt down in the secondary?
Running at speed or sitting at idle? Assuming at idle, and ...I guess so, although the belt seems to sit a little bit low in my humble opinion. I think Steve thought it was ok - just a little below the top/crest of the secondary sheaves. I thought, ideally, the ribs of the belt would stick up like a mm or two

Yes a new belt should be above about 1/16”. Maybe different with that roller set up, clutch might be easier to open with rollers and just the belt tension in causing it to open.

I didn't find any info on that secondary helix & spring.
It may be OK with a stock primary, but i feel some performance will be lost.

3 options:
1. Put aftermarket primary parts in & hope the original "tuner" knew what he was doing. From the looks, i think he did
2. Put stock helix & spring in secondary cuz stock Apex clutching is perfect
3. Run as is & if it works ok with no issues then "se la vie"

Don't forget that the original belt took some abuse so if you think things are OK then change it.
It got smoked more then once.

P.s: Se La Vie means "that's life" or "such is life" although it's actually C'est La Vie or CosI e la Vita in Italian

The second video shows these clutches aren't in "el communicado" with each other.
Change belt & run it a bit to loosen everything up.
I'm feeling option 1 or 2 from my previous post will be necessary

The second video shows these clutches aren't in "el communicado" with each other.
Ahhhh. Then disregard my comment/question in the other thread. Understood, I’ll try what you said.

I’m thinking I can either put the weights/rollers/spring from “upgraded” primary into the stock one, to kind of match the upgraded secondary - and have a Drag Sled setup. Or …detune the secondary to match the stock primary.

First things first, I’ll make sure I have a new belt in there and gently adjust secondary to make sure deflection is spot on, and go from there.

Thanks Steve!!!

Only real challenge for me is: I don't know what may be lacking with the current setup. So if/when I take the performance parts out of the primary I have on my bench and put em' in the one from Barn 'o Parts OR take your stock secondary parts and put on the 'enhanced' on with the Super Torquer on it... I, will again, not know what I'm looking for.

I think I have these two currently dialed in pretty well - belt deflection is right, belt sitting with ribs just above secondary sheaves... I feel like a blind guy walking around in a dark room.

I would say just drive it for now and get some miles on her. Keep an eye on your belt wear.

Back