• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Coolant blow?

BlueByYou2000

Staff member
Website
www.ty4stroke.com
At what temp can the coolant decide to blow out of the resivoir? I took a few blasts the other day with questionable lube on the lake. Watched the temp gauge rise. It got about 210ish when I turned it off. When I turned it off, i could smell antifreeze and antifreeze smoke was coming off of the turbo, but just for a short time. Is this most likely just antifreeze coming out of the resivoir due to the heat? Hoping its not a head gasket as I would assume if it were a head gasket, there would be alot more smoke.

BlueByYou2000 said:
At what temp can the coolant decide to blow out of the resivoir? I took a few blasts the other day with questionable lube on the lake. Watched the temp gauge rise. It got about 210ish when I turned it off. When I turned it off, i could smell antifreeze and antifreeze smoke was coming off of the turbo, but just for a short time. Is this most likely just antifreeze coming out of the resivoir due to the heat? Hoping its not a head gasket as I would assume if it were a head gasket, there would be alot more smoke.

That's pretty hot Matt. I don't know exactly what the temp is that it will start to blow out the reservoir (it partly depends on how full it was to begin with). I've seen these motors push coolant at lower temps than your's with a perfectly intact head gasket.

I don't think you have anything to worry about.

Yea when mine went i got the gooo out the tail pipe. Missed like a big dog on top end!

If the gasket fails it will blow coolant even at normal engine operating temps.

Mine has been doing this for a couple years now. On a hard day of racing I could blow through a quart of coolant easy. I beleive the cylinders are flexing inside the case causing leaking or gasket failure. The cylinders have no support inside the case. Simons, Millenium and few others have fixes for this, none of which are cheap. I beleive anyone running 15+lbs is vulnerable to this prob.

Im at 8.5-9lbs boost and was only in the throttle until I saw 110 on the speedo, so I wasnt in it very long. This is with 93 octane fuel and 12.0 A/F ratio. Hopefully it just blew some out of the overflow when the engine temp got warm.

on my last ride i unloaded my sled but didn't let it warm up all that long.took it across the lake for a couple of very short burst.didn't hit w.o.t at all.wanted to bring the sled up operating temp to check a couple of things.when i took off the side pannel on the brake side i noticed about 3 or 4 drops of coolant on my brake and oil tank.looked around the engine but didn't see anything or smell anything.not sure where it would have came from.

Yea mine all ways pushes coolant out till it gets to a certine level then stops.

Skydog

BlueByYou2000 said:
All good, just spewed out of the overflow when it got hot. Put on 50 miles last night with average temp about 170.

Good to hear, I didn't think you had anything to worry about.

Yea mine all ways pushes coolant out till it gets to a certine level then stops.
Yep ... if I fill mine to the factroy full line it will dribble out the vent line when full hot until the coolant level reaches its happy place ... overflow tank damn near empty when full cold ... after that ... not a drop.

Matt already knows this, but for others that might be reading the post - 210 is waaay too hot for a turbo engine. If you have a temp gauge on your own sled, consider 180 degrees the point at which you should be giving the engine some 'down time'. Go out in the powder and burp the throttle a bit, put some snow on the running boards etc.

Excessive heat and boost do not play nice together...

Back