• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Coolant leak near water pump 2004rx1

Mrfixit

Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2004 RX1
Just bought an 2004 RX 1.
Saw a coolant leak from the bottom end and It had a dent in the heat exchanger.
I figured the heat exchanger had a crack in it and went through the process of removing it.
Turns out it was not cracked. a lot of effort to remove that heat exchanger for nothing.
turns out the leak is coming from the rubber elbow area going into the water pump.
I’m not sure if it’s the water pump.
Should I pull the engine now or just try to replace the elbow.
Sled sat for 2 years.
Any suggestions.
I am looking for a service manual pdf if someone has it also.
Thanks all.

Last edited:

Just bought an 2004 RX 1.
Saw a coolant leak from the bottom end and It had a dent in the heat exchanger.
I figured the heat exchanger had a crack in it and went through the process of removing it.
Turns out it was not cracked. a lot of effort to remove that heat exchanger for nothing.
turns out the leak is coming from the rubber elbow area going into the water pump.
I’m not sure if it’s the water pump.
Should I pull the engine now or just try to replace the elbow.
Sled sat for 2 years.
Any suggestions.
I am looking for a service manual pdf if someone has it also.
Thanks all.

Become a VIP and we can send you e PDF link for manual. Are you sure its not just a clamp?

I tried tightening the clamp but it made no difference with the leak.
Perhaps I could try to replace it.
It’s such a difficult location to get into.

Have to see if its weeping around the clamp. May need a new hose too.

Thanks.
i will try to change the clamp and check.
I just upgraded to VIP and wondered if you could give me access to the service manual please.

Could be coming from weep hole in water pump. Mine was after sitting all summer. Bought pump kit and on advice from few people instead of replacing pump I ran the thing. Fixed. 2500mi later not leaking a drop. Ceramic seal in pump gets crystallized antifreeze under when motor is not being run. Results in a leak till motor gets run awhile.

Could be coming from weep hole in water pump. Mine was after sitting all summer. Bought pump kit and on advice from few people instead of replacing pump I ran the thing. Fixed. 2500mi later not leaking a drop. Ceramic seal in pump gets crystallized antifreeze under when motor is not being run. Results in a leak till motor gets run awhile.
Thanks for the info.
I was wondering if it might be something like that.
I’m thinking I would probably need to pull the engine to do the water pump.

Thanks for the info.
I was wondering if it might be something like that.
I’m thinking I would probably need to pull the engine to do the water pump.
Not sure how close the frame rail is. It would need a little over inch to pull out I would say.

Back